BX Towing 4,000lbs

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Yes it can. I picked up a hitch at TSC primarily to move my snowmobile trailer around and once I saw how easy the Kubota moved that 2,000 lbs I though I'd see if it could move the boat safely. Guess what, it does!

Taking it super slow with the revs up and a light foot on the pedal it was able to back the boat up the driveway which gets relatively steep near the top. This is making life so much easier now as I keep my trailers at the bottom of the driveway on a pad built by the BX but need to bring them up from time to time for cleaning and service.

This machine is really amazing in what it can do and how much easier it makes general tasks. The boat is a 21' Regal with a full 8'6" beam weighing in at 3,200 lbs with a 900lb trailer. My F150 know's its there when towing that's for sure. The BX whined a little about it but surprisingly not much worse than pushing a big load of snow with the blade.

For size perspective here's the boat VS the F150:

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Thats a bit of weight for your machine.one thing to think about-a little weoght in the bucket and run in 4wd would be my preferred method.

I move all the boats in storage with my L1501. Its 2wd and gear transmission. I had a big pontoon boat that was a little iffy to move.would prefer 4wd. Its so handy with a hitch on three point.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
The tongue weight is 400lbs and I expected the front of the tractor to be a bit light but it was very stable. I wouldn't drive around with it for fun but it seems to get the job done well for the couple times a year I need to use it.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Very nice, was wondering how much they can tow. I have been using to move my Floe CargoMax around full of river rock estimated about 2500lbs. Good to know if needed the skid trailer and boat won't be an issue.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Towing isnt so much of a problem as stopping,, just remember you gota stop that beast, and you don't want it stopping on top of you and the tractor

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Towing isnt so much of a problem as stopping,, just remember you gota stop that beast, and you don't want it stopping on top of you and the tractor
What he said. All it would take is one slip and you'd be in trouble. If it ever goes to the side the boat would tie you in a knot.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
If it has surge brakes, stopping is less of an issue.
Very true, my boat trailer has tandem surge brakes...I hope to only move the boat trailer as a combo on a flat land or just the trailer which isn't an issue. Physics what they are have to be careful when the tow vehicle is smaller & lighter than what is being towed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Be very careful doing that!
All it would take is for you to lose traction for a split second to have that boat run right over you!
I have a medium size L and 4000lbs behind it will whip me around in a second, been there done that! :eek:
Not a fun trip to the bottom of the hill, and not good on the shorts!

Trucks have a few major advantages, they have 4 wheel brakes and a lot more weight!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The surge brakes probably will not help much as moving it around the yard will probably involve at least as much backing as forward. The 400# on the rear hitch with the hitch point above the rear axle would worry me more. I would think about 400# in the bucket, you don't want the impression of the bow in the top of your cab.:eek:

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
The surge brakes probably will not help much as moving it around the yard will probably involve at least as much backing as forward. The 400# on the rear hitch with the hitch point above the rear axle would worry me more. I would think about 400# in the bucket, you don't want the impression of the bow in the top of your cab.:eek:
The trailer does have surge brakes. The natural braking action of the hst was all it needed to maintain control coming down the driveway. I thought for sure I would have to use the actual brakes on the Kubota but never needed to.

I'm not concerned with the tongue weight. That's hundreds of lbs under what the 3pt is able to lift and the weight is basically at the end of the lift arms so its tight to the back of the tractor.

I do respect the weight and move cautiously and purposely when towing it. Believe me, looking behind you at the bow of a big boat from a BX is a good reminder to keep all your maneuvers at 1mph

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
While it is a neat thing to use a ball hitch on the three point, a safer way is put that ball on the plate just below the PTO at the base of the transmission. Ya, takes some work doesn't it.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
While it is a neat thing to use a ball hitch on the three point, a safer way is put that ball on the plate just below the PTO at the base of the transmission. Ya, takes some work doesn't it.
It's not the work involved that's an issue with that idea, its physics. The trailer hits the ground before it would make it down to the frame hitch point.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
It's not the work involved that's an issue with that idea, its physics. The trailer hits the ground before it would make it down to the frame hitch point.
That is geometry not physics. Physics is when you start pulling the trailer and for some reason it doesn't move. If you are on pavement and have good traction, the torque from the differential, the leverage from the tow point above the axle and the tongue weight all combine to cause a tractor back flip. I can understand the problem using the fixed drawbar, but the higher you raise the 3 point the more risky it gets. I would still suggest some weight in the bucket and keeping the 3 point as low as possible when actually moving the boat. Another fix might be to put a receiver on the front of the tractor.

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
I regularly use my BX-25D (with Backhoe removed) to maneuver my 12 ft. X 5' dual axle trailer around my yard, especially when I have it loaded with firewood or topsoil, to get it near the area I want to stack the winter wood, around behind my garage, along my garden area, to my woodshed. I have a ball hitch receiver welded onto the joining plate of the sub-frame used to mount the backhoe, and it makes the trailer super easy to jockey exactly where I want to place it. -Not sure of the weight of the loaded trailer, but it holds 1 cord (128 cu.ft.) of split hardwood when ranked on the trailer, rounded up slightly over 2 ft. high, and same with when hauling topsoil or crusher-run gravel.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
That is geometry not physics. Physics is when you start pulling the trailer and for some reason it doesn't move. If you are on pavement and have good traction, the torque from the differential, the leverage from the tow point above the axle and the tongue weight all combine to cause a tractor back flip. I can understand the problem using the fixed drawbar, but the higher you raise the 3 point the more risky it gets. I would still suggest some weight in the bucket and keeping the 3 point as low as possible when actually moving the boat. Another fix might be to put a receiver on the front of the tractor.
It's physics not geometry. Physics prevent the 400lb tounge from depressing into the earth deep enough for the geometry of the ball-to-trailer tounge to even come into play :)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
It's physics not geometry. Physics prevent the 400lb tounge from depressing into the earth deep enough for the geometry of the ball-to-trailer tounge to even come into play :)
Well, anyway I am glad you are solving the towing questions as I have a 5000# GVWR dump trailer on order.:) I will not have it loaded to capacity when moving around the property (all on the level), but I will be pushing the tractor limit.;) I have not seen the limits posted here for towing with the BXs, according to the "Operators Manual"
3 point hitch - 420#,
drawbar -550#,
trailer load - 1765# (not including trailer).
I guess the weight of the trailer doesn't matter just so you don't put more than 1765# on the trailer.:confused:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That is geometry not physics.
It's physics not geometry.
Damn, I never liked either one, and was good at both.:rolleyes:

That's why I became a Forester!:p

Had a job interview many years ago, and the question was "What is pH?" I had answered everything fine so far, but froze on this one. Should be easy...

My response was something like "negative log of the molar hydrogen ion concentration." Interviewer dropped his jaw - that was the mathematical definition of pH, and he was a real technical engineer that was big on that stuff.

I got the job.....:D

Disclaimer - since it was 30 years ago, my recollections of the mathematical definition of pH may have technical flaws. Don't try this at home. This statement has not been reviewed by the FDA, nor is it guaranteed to cure any disease or pestilence. Consult your doctor before taking on any new mathematical definitions of pH.

If your pH is erect for more than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately. ;)

Last edited:

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
First........

Without a doubt... the little BX makes a great yard tug. As other guys have said... be careful when doing it... and using the front bucket will help keep the tires planted. Also... use 4wd so you have brakes on all the tires.

Speaking of brakes... since the brake is in the trans on your tractor... make sure you have the cable from the surge brake somewhere close to you. (not just hooked to the tractor) You want to be able to yank it, if you start to slip/slide.

Second....

I doubt you are tugging 4K lbs there. That's a single axle, so you are going to be closer to 3500 max.

BUT...........................................

Here's me doing 5000 Lbs. (LOL) :p

It's hard to get my boat tucked away for the winter. I put it on the side of my house, and off the driveway. So, I only do this in the winter, and the spring time. I have electric brakes on the trailer, and have the emergency cable where I can manual pull it.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Here's the size ref pic.

22'... 55 gal fuel, 25 gal fresh water, 3 gal oil, and storage for a day out. (including a potty)

Last edited: