BX snow removal suggestions.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Thanks, Rusty. Plowing only downhill in 2WD is what I will do. It did not occur to me because it will easily quadruple my plowing time! But even with our long driveway I see it's the way to go. Plowing will work better and I won't be abusing my transmission.

I wish I could tilt the blade from my seat. I got a front third function for the grapple but like an idiot got a manual blade. Now I'm shocked at the price for the blade cylinder and kit.

Any thoughts on just keeping the blade straight? Or doing what I thought I'd do and getting my lazy butt off and angling the blade? I tried it angled yesterday and liked that it did tend to roll snow off to the side.

An issue with angling the blade is the pin and the rather small hairpin are awkward to change. I probably could get away with not using the hairpin, making angling much faster, but I wonder if vibration would lift the pin. Then I might lose the pin itself.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you want to add a power angle to your blade, you should be able to do it for less than the cost of the kit from Kubota. The first thing to do is to get the kit number and figure out what components you will need from Kubota and what components you can source from independent sources. Items such as quick disconnects you can get less expensively from Summit Hydraulics on Amazon. Fittings and hoses you can purchase from discounthydraulichose.com . Steel pins to retain the cylinder are expensive from Kubota, but if you can determine the size and type from the Kubota parts information, you might be able to find it for less by searching the description on Messicks website. I like to support my independent Kubota dealer, but there are times when you need a workaround to accomplish your project within reasonable economic constraints.
I looked up some prices on Messicks website for the cylinder, which is the same cylinder that they have been using for more than a decade. It is a 2"x5" cylinder, and the caos is $374.49 plus shipping. It might be better to buy this from your local dealer because the tax might be less or the same as shipping. The attaching pins are expensive with one being $9.06 for a 3/4"x5 5/8" pin, and $24.43 for the 3/4"x2 1/2" pin. I would see what I could find locally at a place like Tractor Supply or Runnings. I priced some hoses last week from Discount Hydraulic Hose last week that were 8' long, and they were about $25 each. I didn't ask about shipping, but once again, you have to weigh shipping against buying locally or factory parts. If you just don't want to go this route of getting parts from multiple sources, then bite the bullet and buy the kit from the dealer and install it yourself. It isn't that difficult and will take you less than an hour if you pick a warm day. I would definitely get rid of the pin. The nice thing about a hydraulic angle kit is that if you start heading in a direction that you don't want to be headed to, you can quickly change the angle of the plow, and stop a possible catastrophe. You can also use the hydraulic angle to assist in pushing yourself out of a pile of snow if you are losing traction.

Reactions: 1 user

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Thanks, Rusty, for this solid gold advice. I will file it my blade folder! You give me hope that doing my own work is within grasp even though I have rudimentary mechanical skills.

It annoys me that the manual angling is so awkward. But it's typical, and why there's so much customizing, which is fun.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I use Kubota’s frame mounted from blade for snow removal
This is the best way. Though their design looks like something from the transformers cartoon series. How far is the back of the blade from the front of the frame?

Last edited:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
im looking forward to snow this year. got myself a snow pusher!! it will be nice to have that with the blower on the back.

Reactions: 1 user