BX snow removal suggestions.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
SSQA frt blade
My very large, "walk-behind", 45" cut, dual wheeled, MTD blower, is, I think, 13HP and it does a great job.
The weak point isn't the blower itself(it'll chuck snow 40' in some conditions), but the drive. I wear out friction wheels all the time. It's also a bit of a beast to wrestle on uneven ground or wet snow when taking "half a bite"

a Bx1880 has 13.7HP at the rear PTO, so if you bought a smaller blower, I think it would do it just fine (no experience...just crunching #'s and spitballing)...and all that 13.7hp is dedicated to "spin" and none to "drive" like my walk-behind.

If you go and buy a big 7' wide blower, all bets are off !

My BX2380 spins my 48" front blower just fine. I went smaller because some of the areas I clear are 53-54" wide and I wanted to give myself a little headroom on mid pto power for the heavy wet snow, rather than fight with a bigger blower that would hardly spin in those conditions.
I looked at BXpanded frt blade but its a bucket clamp to setup. Any one know of SSQA blade to research and a rear mount 48 in or less blower that would work? Orange crusher, is that all Kubota equipment on your rig?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
lilguy -- -

I don't know the manufacturer (maybe Kubota?), but my coworker's husband has a SSQA blade on his BX23S. He doesn't have power angle. Usually left at no angle.

A few years ago, he had surgery and wasn't able to run tractor/plow driveway.

Only person he trusted running his tractor and plowing his driveway was me.

I had a good experience plowing the driveway with his SSQA blade. Maybe 5-6" of heavy stuff.

Took a little learning curve, and their driveway is complicated with turns, turnarounds, and steep slopes above and below.

No sweat - - had it done in short time.

I don't know how much snow you get?

The problem I foresee if you get a lot of snow is where are you going to push it? Doesn't look like you have much room to spare?

Last edited:

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
I had a 2601 with lite material bucket last year and I just piled where I could, 10 ft mountain across street and in the yard. Just néed to stay ahead of it with smaller tractor. Nothing yet this year, still months to go though.

Reactions: 1 users

Derrick58

Equipment
BX25D, Cub Cadet GT2550
Dec 6, 2021
Newfoundland
I have a BX25D with a BX2750D front blower, back in January 2020, we had Snowmageddon.....3' of snow with hurricane force winds. That left over 6' of drifted snow in my 350 foot driveway.. The Kubota tackled it with no problems, lots of knocking down the snow, but 4 hrs later, all was done.
I would recommend this setup
2020-01-18 08.08.29.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
MK Martin SB48 12 hp minimum. This might work. Will be able to blow snow further over hedge line and into yard closer to street.

Meteor 3-Point Hitch Snow Blowers

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have always used a pusher blade on every tractor I have had and a rear blade the BX has never let me down pushing snow,, a bucket isnt really much use for snow,, will it work yep it will but it isnt as useful as the pusher blade. UNless you get it piled up and up and you have to move it then the bucket works, but a front blade will work the best just MHO

bronc71

Equipment
BX25D
Feb 25, 2021
North Idaho
Ive used a blade for years, works well with a rubber edge on asphalt, Ive just started using the blower, it works really well. Light snow, blade.
heavy snow, blower. I don’t use the loader bucket for snow.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Have used FEL and 5 ft back blade with 4 ft wide tractors (3 so far, one a 1025R about size of a BX) for 17 years here. Fairly flat, asphalt driveway about 400-450 ft with big turnaround area in front of double car garage and double carriage house. The back blade is a Frontier, manual set. Rotates full around easily by hand to reposition. Have used both pushing and pulling.

Mainly use FEL for snowmageddon stuff that we've had a couple of times. Not much the last 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
lilguy -- -

I don't know how much snow you get?

The problem I foresee if you get a lot of snow is where are you going to push it? Doesn't look like you have much room to spare?
It’s a real issue. I have to remove the snow if i get a lot. Pushing it will only work so long.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
$3500.00 for KUBOTA’s frt blower or a Meteor SB48 3pt hitch unit. Sound normal?

Northern Tool has a 50 in rear for 1800.00 but it needs 16 hp.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

It's been a while, but I know the front-mounts are pricey. Love mine.

Does that include the front hitch/mid-PTO to attach it to the tractor?

Kubota does not make their snowblowers. I think mine is Rad Technologies from Canada if I recall correctly.

I recognize the Meteor name. I think someone posted a picture of one here recently. Quite stout I think. Well made.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I used a BX5450 on the front of my BX25D for five winters with a Land Pride blade on the rear. It was a good and somewhat nimble set up for taking care of about 400 yards of driveway and a few parking areas. The problem with pushing snow is that you need somewhere to push it to. If you have a lot of snow you can run out of room in very short order. Another thing about blowing snow vs. pushing is that it's much easier to blow snow when heading uphill but it can be difficult to push snow uphill.

Here's a short video of the BX25 and 5450 moving a lot of snow off the upper driveway before it was asphalted. It was pure fun to run that blower on a cold and sunny day when the snow was dry. I had purchased the hydraulic chute rotation kit from the dealer but sold the tractor and blower before I installed it. My current blower has both rotation and chute deflector angle and once you have those it's hard to go back.

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN

No expert here, but that looks normal to me, with the front blower from kubota looking pretty good and the Meteor maybe being on the high side, but not unreasonable. I looked into buying some implements from Northern Tool a couple of years ago, and they would have charged several hundred for delivery.

The sales guy told me I'd be better off buying it from Fleet farm. I run a brush cutter rated for 20-40 hp on an L1500DT that puts out 15 hp at the flywheel, so I wouldn't be too concerned so I wouldn't be overly concerned with that. You'll need to slow down on the first pass and possibly overlap, but that will be true of a blower of the same width and lower HP rating. You will need to be sure that the 3 PH will lift it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The blower is a complete kit.
Sounds like for a complete front blower/front hitch/mid-PTO kit is not unreasonable. I think I was in the same ballpark 8+ years ago. I got all my stuff in crates, and had to assemble. No problem, and I saved $300 or so IIRC.

Although I bought an electric chute rotator, never put it on. Sucked in my opinion. At over $800, didn't think hydraulic was worth it.

I stick by manual rotation and no control over chute discharge angle. Works for me.
I've moved a lot of snow with it.

I've posted this many times over the years. I think it was 2017, doing driveway across the road. We had about 3 feet that day.

F1BF9079-C42D-4944-9FFF-7A25ECCAA96A.jpeg

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Those of you with a BX, what implement would you suggest for snow removal. Going to use the frt loader first to see how it works. Asphalt drive about 100 feet long with parking area in front of 3 car garage. This is premised on us getting much snow, 68 in Chicago yesterday. Thanks all.
For a 100' long driveway I'd get a walk behind blower. Or hire the neighbour's kid to hand shovel it.

• Haha

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
For a 100' long driveway I'd get a walk behind blower. Or hire the neighbour's kid to hand shovel it.
I'll stick with my tractor and rear blade! Lol

chevca

Apr 4, 2021
Wisconsin, United States
I am wondering what would work best for just hard packed snow or ice? Like the stuff my snowblower might leave behind or that you might see at the end of the driveway from the plows? My situation is I have a perfectly functioning snowblower so couldn't really justify getting one for the bx but I still see an opportunity to use it for those snowfalls where I get snow stuck to my driveway and would typically use a shovel to clear it. I figure a bx would be a lot easier.