BX Snow Blower PTO shaft came off while snow blowing.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Since he had difficulty removing the blower, and we know that it is a K connect system, the splined shaft in the K connect has to have moved forward. In short, something wasn't tight enough to keep it in alignment parameters when installed. Better known as "Assembly Error".

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
Last night I was snow blowing my yard for access to the wood shed and chicken coop. All the sudden there was a loud, violent banging from underneath. The PTO shaft somehow became disconnected from the snow blower while the PTO was still spinning. Luckily I was able to react fairly quickly.

Does anyone know of a reason that would cause this? It seems like there is very little engagement between the shaft from the PTO and the snow blower splines.

Thanks in advance.
the only thing I can think of is it was never locked when you put the drive shaft in

Reactions: 1 user

bronc71

Equipment
BX25D
Feb 25, 2021
North Idaho
On a K connect subframe, what type of locking collar is on the flange bearings that hold the shaft? Is it an eccentric lock collar, or set screws on the inner race of bearings? Either way. Looks like shaft slid forward over time.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
All,

I'm in agreement. I must not have tightened the set screws down on the bearings to the shaft. Yes, the shaft shifted forward. Which kind of surprised me because I couldn't budge it. I had to remove the bearing housings to move the shaft. Removed the shaft, cleaned it up, looked it over.

However, It looks like this was all for naught. The shaft is bent. I checked it against a 2 foot level. I hope I can get a new one before we get any major snow again. Time to bust out the snow plow. I hope I can move some of this stuff after it's been sitting there freezing.

Thanks all.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
glad you found the problem, real bummer though.

how bad is the shaft bent ? I've straightened some 'bent' shafts in the past. Depending on tools in your shop, you may be able to get it reasonably 'good' ( within 1/8th inch true )

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
All that I really have that may do it is a small bench vise. For the cost of replacement (~$300 on Messicks), I'd think a new one would be the safer move. I don't think it's over 1/8" out now.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
If the vice is FIRMLY bolted to the bench and the bench bolted down, find the 'bend' point, secure into vice. Take a reasonably tight fitting long pipe, slide over the shaft and bend it 'some'. Look what happens,odds are you'll need more. It's a 'do and see' operation.
If the vice isn't strong enough... got a pickup with a 2" hitch? if so and the receiver is hollow, use it for your 'vice'. Same idea, bend the shaft in the opposite direction of the bend.
Sometimes you have to think outside the box, get creative, I've driven my forklift over steel to 'rebend' it

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Went to throw the plow on to clean up some areas of the driveway. Noticed a decent amount of hydraulic oil on the floor. Checked the hydro oil level. Was a quart low. Got under the tractor and saw that the gas tank has a dent and the front cover to the front drive shaft is damaged. Not sure what else so, looks like it needs to go to the dealer anyway for a thorough review.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Went to throw the plow on to clean up some areas of the driveway. Noticed a decent amount of hydraulic oil on the floor. Checked the hydro oil level. Was a quart low. Got under the tractor and saw that the gas tank has a dent and the front cover to the front drive shaft is damaged. Not sure what else so, looks like it needs to go to the dealer anyway for a thorough review.
Do you have Kubota's Insurance that comes at a price when you finance the tractor? If so, don't even mess with it at all, just drop it at your Kubota dealer. Also keep your eyes open on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for a used one. Might be less expensive if the repair is coming out of your pocket. Besides, if you find a used one, that will give you time to find a machine shop to straighten the old shaft. You are probably going to also need a new driveshaft. If that is the case, they are quite pricey from Kubota but look for a "driveline" shop that can put a new tube onto your old ends. If it is covered under warranty, keep the old driveshaft. You never know when you might need a spare.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Do you have Kubota's Insurance that comes at a price when you finance the tractor? If so, don't even mess with it at all, just drop it at your Kubota dealer.
I do have the KTAC insurance. Didn't figure this would be covered though.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I do have the KTAC insurance. Didn't figure this would be covered though.
If everything that has been said about the KTAC insurance is true, then this is covered. Just don't admit to any mistakes on your part. You have no idea why it happened, or how it happened, just that it happened, and it needs to be fixed. If they ask why you took it apart, you did it to see what parts would be needed to do the repair prior to realizing that there is additional damage. All of this is absolutely true. Remember, that the dealer is your friend. He is the one that sold you the tractor and the insurance.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Talked to the dealership today. The tractor is being picked up tomorrow morning. Salesman said that they were going to look to do most of the work under the blower's warranty. I'd asked about KTAC insurance and he'd said that that was a definite possibility. I hope so....and I hope they don't have any problems getting parts.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If they don't have the parts in stock, ask if they can "steal" the parts needed out of another hitch in inventory that hasn't been assembled yet, so you can get back to snow blowing. This is what I did in my business when a customer needed a part to fix something that we sold originally. Usually, the part would come in before we ever needed the completed unit for another customer. You most likely will also need a new driveshaft. Ask if they will allow you to keep the old one after the claim is settled.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
If they don't have ALL the parts,say in 1-2 days, will they give you a 'loaner' ? If it was my only machine to do a task, I wouldn't part with it unless they gave me another or said job will be done in a day.
If big enough they have to have one on display. Local guys have 'my spare BX23S' in a mini pond on display.