BX Snow Blower PTO shaft came off while snow blowing.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Last night I was snow blowing my yard for access to the wood shed and chicken coop. All the sudden there was a loud, violent banging from underneath. The PTO shaft somehow became disconnected from the snow blower while the PTO was still spinning. Luckily I was able to react fairly quickly.

Does anyone know of a reason that would cause this? It seems like there is very little engagement between the shaft from the PTO and the snow blower splines.

Thanks in advance.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
front or read PTO blower ??
all PTO shafts I've ever had LOCK onto the 'other end' so I suspect the 'locking' gizmo came off, allowed the shaft to 'shrink' and then it came off.
Had a read Ujoint greak on my JEEP..THAT was 'fun'...got home with front wheel drive...

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Front mount PTO. It's only the third time running it. I don't believe there's a locking gizmo on it. It just slides on.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I've heard this before. I'am pretty sure that there are 2 different lenghts of the shaft depending on what model your quick hitch is. you must have been given the shorter one.

Reactions: 1 user

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear but, pretty much what it looks like. Thanks. I'll be contacting my dealer.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The drive shaft as a locking collar at the rear that you pull back to engage the PTO shaft after you put it onto the front hitch. You have to have had the wrong shaft, but more likely, either the hitch for the blower was installed incorrectly, or one of the shafts is the correct length. Don't automatically blame the driveshaft, it can also be that the hitch shaft was improperly installed. Too many variables to consider unless you are looking at it. All that we can do from a distance is to make assumptions. My assumption is that something wasn't tightened properly and that the hitch shaft has moved. What is the overall length of your driveshaft, and the model of your hitch and snowblower?

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
The drive shaft as a locking collar at the rear that you pull back to engage the PTO shaft after you put it onto the front hitch. You have to have had the wrong shaft, but more likely, either the hitch for the blower was installed incorrectly, or one of the shafts is the correct length. Don't automatically blame the driveshaft, it can also be that the hitch shaft was improperly installed. Too many variables to consider unless you are looking at it. All that we can do from a distance is to make assumptions. My assumption is that something wasn't tightened properly and that the hitch shaft has moved. What is the overall length of your driveshaft, and the model of your hitch and snowblower?
Good points. I'll measure the driveshaft when I get home. I'll also put the driveshaft back on and look things over.

Hitch - BX2810
Snow blower - BX2816

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
On my BX25, the snowblower PTO shaft to the front has about 6", maybe more, of depth to it, allowing one to lock the back collar to the mid PTO drive and still leave a few inches on the splines on the front hitch driveshaft.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Sounds to me like an assembly error on the dealerships part. Do not use the blower again, until the dealer gets a chance to look at it, and correct the assembly error they made. Make sure they check that the main shaft going from the mid pto to the front didn,t get bent from flailing around , cause that will cause you serious vibration issues down the road. Make sure you get documentation from the dealership, stating exactly what they checked, what they repaired and replaced, and how they corrected the problem.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Last night I was snow blowing my yard for access to the wood shed and chicken coop. All the sudden there was a loud, violent banging from underneath. The PTO shaft somehow became disconnected from the snow blower while the PTO was still spinning. Luckily I was able to react fairly quickly.

Does anyone know of a reason that would cause this? It seems like there is very little engagement between the shaft from the PTO and the snow blower splines.

Thanks in advance.
I see you have a 23S like me. My guess is that the slide/lock/tab was not seated properly. When I put mine in I usually give it a good shake front to back to make sure its seated. or....that slide/lock/tab deal somehow malfunctioned.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Sounds to me like an assembly error on the dealerships part. Do not use the blower again, until the dealer gets a chance to look at it, and correct the assembly error they made. Make sure they check that the main shaft going from the mid pto to the front didn,t get bent from flailing around , cause that will cause you serious vibration issues down the road. Make sure you get documentation from the dealership, stating exactly what they checked, what they repaired and replaced, and how they corrected the problem.
Unfortunately I did the assembly work. Got it a few years after I bought the tractor and they sent it unassembled.
The shaft is 44.5".
But it's run a few times just fine. Going to take the mount apart and see what's going on. Unfortunately I'm having a problem disengaging the connection to the blower.
The picture shown is with the PTO connection at the rear fully connected.

Attachments

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Unfortunately I did the assembly work. Got it a few years after I bought the tractor and they sent it unassembled.
The shaft is 44.5".
But it's run a few times just fine. Going to take the mount apart and see what's going on. Unfortunately I'm having a problem disengaging the connection to the blower.
The picture shown is with the PTO connection at the rear fully connected.
Is that a clamping bolt about 2" from the end of the female part? And can it be tightened some more?

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Did it come apart when you lifted the blower to its maximum height ? If so, re-check your installation manual, and make the proper adjustments to the correct length stated in the manual. Again, make 100% sure your main shaft isn,t bent, from flailing around when it let loose.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
From looking at your picture that shaft should overlap about 50%. You are correct in that it does not lock at this end but must lock at the other end where it connects to the mid pto. Make sure it clicks and as stated give it a good pull to verify its locked.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Just went through the installation manual. The shaft from the hitch should measure 7-5/16". It measures 5". I have no idea how that happened. I know I measured it multiple times when assembling to ensure it was correct. I don't know how it moved.
The problem now is I can't disengage it. I'm hoping it's fixable but I'm going to have a heck of a time even getting the snow blower off of the tractor. I'm guessing I'm going to have to disassemble the K-connect system from the top down to see what is going on. At least try to get the guard off to look at it.

thebicman

Equipment
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
So if the shaft is too short on the one side then its too long on the other. You will have to get the blower off the subframe and I would remove the subframe for inspection/repair. When I built the subframe on mine I used a yellow paint pen to mark the shaft on each side of the bearings. Gives a quick visual that nothing has moved.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
When I built the subframe on mine I used a yellow paint pen to mark the shaft on each side of the bearings. Gives a quick visual that nothing has moved.
That's a good idea. I'm going to do that. I just got the shaft to move enough where I can get the blower off. I'll the inspect everything. As of now, everything seems fairly normal...other than the shaft moved. No idea how that happened. Set screws were in place and locked in.

thebicman

Equipment
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Went out and did the driveway after replying and because of your post inspected the driveline more carefully. Problem is you get comfortable with everything working and forget shi* can happen very quickly.

bronc71

Equipment
BX25D
Feb 25, 2021
North Idaho
If the shaft that’s mounted on 2 bearings, the one that seems to short, possibly could be slid back in its mounting to engage splines more on long driveshaft from pto. That would let the extending driveshaft out front to blower still connect to the blower. (If it’s not cut to short already)