BX Series - First Service

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
2021 BX2380 w/ a plethora of attachments
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
Well the Kubota Factory really knows how to make it difficult for the service. Picked up the service kit from my local kubota dealer, picked a good night to tackle this after the tractor melted away all the snow and I didn't have nearly enough beverages to tackle this. It's worse than an IKEA to do.

1 - Swap the Air Filter, no biggie
2 - Swap the upper fuel filter, no biggie
3 - Find the lower fuel filter, wrestle with it a bit, but I end up popping the trailing hose off and get showered in diesel. Great. Find some vice grips to pinch the fuel line (flaw in my opinion - they need to put a fuel shut off on the machine) and wrestle with the lower hose to take off. Vice grip falls off again because of the ample room for it, and get showered in diesel again! lol Finally get that thing swapped out and decide I'm never swapping it again.
4 - Empty the oil from the motor
5 - Try to remove the oil filter by hand. no luck.
6 - Try to remove the oil filter with a filter band. no luck.
7 - Try to remove the oil filter with a filter channel lock. no luck while literally bending the crap out of it.
8 - throw up my hands and say this is a tomorrow problem.

Now that I've bought a filter cap wrench it should work out better but what an eventful night - I've got this trailing diesel odur everywhere I go (wife wasn't too pleased with the freshly washed bed sheets!) lol.

Anyone else experience a similar scenario - there's no way I've been the only one.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I had no issue with mine the last time I did it. Now that you mention a fuel shutoff I might install one when my service comes due. I have a set of fuel line pliers from Harbor Freight I use on stuff like this.

I will say I normally due this type of service on a Saturday Morning with a cup of coffee.

Reactions: 1 user

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Well the Kubota Factory really knows how to make it difficult for the service. Picked up the service kit from my local kubota dealer, picked a good night to tackle this after the tractor melted away all the snow and I didn't have nearly enough beverages to tackle this. It's worse than an IKEA to do.

3 - Find the lower fuel filter, wrestle with it a bit, but I end up popping the trailing hose off and get showered in diesel. Great. Find some vice grips to pinch the fuel line (flaw in my opinion - they need to put a fuel shut off on the machine) and wrestle with the lower hose to take off. Vice grip falls off again because of the ample room for it, and get showered in diesel again! lol Finally get that thing swapped out and decide I'm never swapping it again.
7 - Try to remove the oil filter with a filter channel lock. no luck while literally bending the crap out of it.

Now that I've bought a filter cap wrench it should work out better but what an eventful night - I've got this trailing diesel odur everywhere I go (wife wasn't too pleased with the freshly washed bed sheets!) lol.

Anyone else experience a similar scenario - there's no way I've been the only one.
Bota products and a few others make a fuel filter relocation kit for the bX. Check into it before next fuel filter change, it makes that stupid fuel filter easier to deal with.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
try doing it 4 or 5 times a day 5 days a week.

Those fuel filters ain't no fun, well the front one isn't any issue but the back one SUCKS. Particularly if there's a belly deck installed. It has to come off.

after you do a few they do get easier, and that's because you get used to doing it and find ways to make it slightly easier. Like using a dedicated fuel line clamp-off tool to keep from getting a shower. Then poke a hole in the filter, let it drain out and then remove it.

oil filter is easy. I always used larger groove-joint pliers. So what if it bends, you're replacing it anyway.

Reactions: 2 users

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
try doing it 4 or 5 times a day 5 days a week.

Those fuel filters ain't no fun, well the front one isn't any issue but the back one SUCKS. Particularly if there's a belly deck installed. It has to come off.

after you do a few they do get easier, and that's because you get used to doing it and find ways to make it slightly easier. Like using a dedicated fuel line clamp-off tool to keep from getting a shower. Then poke a hole in the filter, let it drain out and then remove it.

oil filter is easy. I always used larger groove-joint pliers. So what if it bends, you're replacing it anyway.
You aren't wrong - the Oil filter cap didn't work... so had to just mangle the factory one off. I wouldn't dream about doing 4-5 of these a week! lol

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
I had no issue with mine the last time I did it. Now that you mention a fuel shutoff I might install one when my service comes due. I have a set of fuel line pliers from Harbor Freight I use on stuff like this.

I will say I normally due this type of service on a Saturday Morning with a cup of coffee.
I won't torque on the new one and then paint over it lol

Bri-Guy-GA

Equipment
Kubota BX1880
Sep 10, 2020
Villa Rica, GA
I had a similar experience when I did my BX's first service. Now I take the long way around and make sure I am low in diesel beforehand and then just drain the tank while I am working on other parts of the tractor. it takes longer, but in the end I don't get covered in diesel. I do like the idea of a shut-off valve though. May give that a look for next time. One benefit of draining the tank is all the nasty stuff that may accumulate in it is flushed out as well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I wouldn't dream about doing 4-5 of these a week! lol

why not ? LB gets PAID to do it ,unlike most of us...

BTW When I bought my BX23S, the dealer did the 50hr stuff for me..part of the deal I made since it's the most important service..if THEY made a booboo, They'd owe me a new tractor.....
That was 930 hrs ago,so they did it right !

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Sounds like you just were not prepared. I watched videos of the fuel filter replacement and had no problem except for being too crippled to get on and off the ground! HEHE oh that hurt!

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I am almost ready to do my first 50 hr service. I am planning on having it done by the dealer though. Reason is, this is my first tractor and the inspection (I think) is worth it to me - in case I am missing some unintentional wear or issue I am unfamiliar with. Am I over-thinking this?

I have been shade tree wrenching since I was 12. But 100% on autos and recently motorbikes. New vehicles I historically service at the dealer, after warranty I take over service. I definitely over-think!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I had no problem or trouble getting the OEM filter off of my BX23S at the 50-hour service. You just have to have the correct tools and know how to use them.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Nah, @58Ford. You aren't. I do the same thing mostly. My L is going back for the 1st one. Mostly because their pick up and delivery are free for the first one. Also because they have some issues to work out with the rear lights. Hazards and turn signals don't work right. I've traced it out to being the signal box widget. Kubota overcomplicated that. Also leaking oil from the pan. Not impressed with that one. I would have had them do it anyway though. Like you said- they might spot something I didn't.
For those that want to add a valve, here is an option. You can source the same thing at a plumbing shop for 1/4 the price. Just make sure it is a full port WOG rated valve.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

The only filter that was hard to get to or hard to swap on my BX25 was the fuel filter under the machine. I ended up doing what many others do and installed a much better fuel filter in a convenient location and made up a custom guard. Then shortly after that I sold the tractor and the new owner is very pleased with my work! :LOL:

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
I believe the person at the Kubota factory who installs the oil filter is a Sumo wrestler.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'm pretty surprised Kubota does not list a torque spec for the filters. 1/2 turn, 3/5 turn, 3/4 turn.....everything else I have from the Land of the Rising Sun gives a torque value for them. Along with every other threaded fastener.