BX loader capability vs. 1series JD

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
I was reading another post about analysis paralysis - I think I'm there. Starting looking for a CUT in late spring, based on specs and just looking at various tractors on the dealers lots, I thought the B01 series would be about right for me. Problem was I found the operator station somewhat cramped and not helped by the treadle pedal mounted above the floor board. Starting looking at the B2650/LX2610 which hasn't been helped by the lack of dealer inventory. Finally got to run a B2650, but seemed on the big side to be able to use around the yard in the vicinity of the house.

So I started looking at JD, 1 series and 2 series and the 1025R/2025R seemed about the right size/capability. I was planning on buying used, but I was seeing fairly good deals on the JD 1023E model. Didn't really consider the 1023E, but decided to try one out this AM. It would probably work for me, and I figure I could learn to work with the lack of position control.

I figured since I was looking at a 1025 and the 1023 JDs, I probably should try a BX. Local Kubota dealers have very low inventory, but I got lucky and one dealer had a BX2380 on the lot, was sold, but I was able to try out.

I would say I was impressed with BX. A little more hydro whine than the JD, but otherwise seemed more refined than the JD 1 series tractors. Not by a lot, but enough to notice. I like the set up and openness of the operator station and the treadle pedal was fine when mounted below the floor board, maybe even better than twin pedals on the JD, at least equal. I liked the better visibility of the BX with the shorter hood. The BX seems just a bit more $$ than the 1023E new or used and with the more upgraded features, probably the better overall better deal in my view than a 1023. I also found the 1/4 inching 3 pt control much better than the 3 pt. control on the 1023.

And then I started comparing to the 1025R, which the BX would be less $$. It has actual 3 pt position control, but otherwise, BX seemed to stack up pretty well against the 1025R as well.

The only concern I have is FEL capacity. On paper, the LA344 does give up some specs against the JD 120R. Hard to know in actual use what that means. I watched the TTWT JD 1025R vs. BX2680 comparison videos, but there were no comparisons in typical movement of materials - soil, gravel, etc. I'm not getting the FEL to move pallets of material/equipment which seemed to highlight the weakness of the LA344 vs. JD 120R.

Wanted to see if I could get some feedback from BX owners using the FEL moving soil, gravel, or stone and for any BX owners that bought after comparing against the JD 1023/1025, what did you see as tipping the scale in favor of the BX? I would probably be looking at a BX2380 or 2680. Thanks

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have owned 2 BX tractors, and even though the bucket is a little on the anemic side when it comes to handling materials such as loam, or stone, I have found it is overall an acceptable machine. I like the fact that both of mine had backhoes, and it was a strong digging machine, so long as I didn't run into a boulder that was heavier than the machine could handle. For those types of rocks, you definitely need a bigger machine than the BX. I have never been a fan of the JD tractors, but I do like their color scheme.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I had a quiklook and the 120R PIN-ON lifts 533# according to JD, so similar to my BX23S WITH SSQA, so my BX is 'better' !
I've moved 1000s of buckets of dirt, pony poop, compost, gravel and rocks every year ,for the past 4 years and while it'd be nice to carry more, I KNOW it wasn't designed as a 'loader' but an 'all around' machine.
A few more trips,couple hours seat time, doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My BX was fine. In general most tractors will lift a bucket load of whatever - because the bucket is sized to fit the loader lift. The BX may, however, have a smaller bucket than the JD. In real world operation you don't notice that.

My experience was that my bigger problem was filling the bucket than it was what the machine could lift. The machine will lift a heaping bucket of most stuff, but operator skill is required to actually get a heaped bucket. I gave up more lift because of my lack of talent than I did because of machine limitations.

I believe the BX is a more refined machine, they've been making them for a long time and improving them frequently. In the US I believe the SSQA is an important/useful feature, in my part of the world there are very few SSQA attachments small enough to go on a SCUT, and SSQA isn't even offered as an option. I got a pin-on quick attach, which actually gives me more lift capacity, and since the only other implement I use is forks, I just got my forks modified for Kubota pin-on.

I think the JD 1 series is a bit bigger than the BX. The BX is a very small tractor. I eventually upgraded to the B01, which is a much better machine (in my opinion) than the BX. The treadle pedal on it is a bit stiff, but you get used to it. The extra ground clearance, 3 speed gearbox, and much greater 3ph lift capacity (plus about 20-30% extra of everything else) was well worth it for me.

Reactions: 3 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I have moved 100s of tons of dirt rocks and gravel. A full bucket is a full bucket. Even if the JD can lift a little more weight: if the bucket capacity is the same, then as far as moving agrigate they would be equal for that task.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I think the JD does come with a larger bucket.

Lift capacity is one thing, but i think breakout force might be the more useful measure if you are planning to dig or break ground a lot with the loader.

I have a B6100 that will lift about 500lbs to full height, and a B8200 that'll do around 700lbs to full height. Surprisingly, the 8200 FEELS massively more powerful, but most of that is coming from its much, much greater breakout force. They both have 48" buckets and the 6100 feels like it needs a 42, and the 8200 feels like it needs a 54. Both on the list.. someday.

Also, the 8200 feels a lot more powerful pushing into piles or the ground just because it weighs so much more (traction). It has a backhoe on it, and 13.6-16 filled rear tires. I bring this up because that is a MAJOR difference between a 1025 and 2025. The 2025 has much larger rear tires. By itself this does not mean much, but if you compare the weight they will take in fill, the larger tires on the 2025 become a huge advantage in terms of the ability of the 'bare' tractor (i.e. excluding 3pt attachments) to use the loader productively, both in terms of stability from counterbalancing a load, and traction to push the bucket into material.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I think the JD does come with a larger bucket.

Lift capacity is one thing, but i think breakout force might be the more useful measure if you are planning to dig or break ground a lot with the loader.

I have a B6100 that will lift about 500lbs to full height, and a B8200 that'll do around 700lbs to full height. Surprisingly, the 8200 FEELS massively more powerful, but most of that is coming from its much, much greater breakout force. They both have 48" buckets and the 6100 feels like it needs a 42, and the 8200 feels like it needs a 54. Both on the list.. someday.

Also, the 8200 feels a lot more powerful pushing into piles or the ground just because it weighs so much more (traction). It has a backhoe on it, and 13.6-16 filled rear tires. I bring this up because that is a MAJOR difference between a 1025 and 2025. The 2025 has much larger rear tires. By itself this does not mean much, but if you compare the weight they will take in fill, the larger tires on the 2025 become a huge advantage in terms of the ability of the 'bare' tractor (i.e. excluding 3pt attachments) to use the loader productively, both in terms of stability from counterbalancing a load, and traction to push the bucket into material.
I had a neighbour who bought the JD with a larger bucket...he couldn't lift it when it was full of soil.

• Wow

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I used my bx2200 FEL to move 20 tons of top soil for my garden earlier this year. Worked great. Didn't have an issue lifting a full bucket, although I definitely needed a ballast on the 3 pt hitch to balance it out.

If I buried the bucket close to the bottom of the pile I had to work the HST peddle and the curl together to get a bucketful. I couldn't just lift the bucket with all the dirt pile above it.

I did add a few shims to my pressure release valve to get the pressure to the top of the safe/usable specs.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Tractor Time with Tim did a video on the JD lift capacity vs. Kubota. Yeah, it lifted more, but that was sitting still in one spot. I wouldn't try operating the loader with that much weight it is an accident waiting to happen. So, it wasn't a real-world test to me! He never did show how much the front tires squatted with all that weight. You could rip the tires right off the machine or worse, break the casting for the front axle $$$$$ I know when I had a boulder in the bucket of my BX that I could only get just inches off the ground those front tires will nearly flatten to the rim!

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
Only used my bucket and forks for moving brush so far, so no good comparison for you as I moved up from a Simplicity GT with a bucket, but the need for ballast was very noticeable. Have not loaded the tires yet but will shortly.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
You could rip the tires right off the machine or worse, break the casting for the front axle $$$$$ I know when I had a boulder in the bucket of my BX that I could only get just inches off the ground those front tires will nearly flatten to the rim!
Yeah, i think in terms of actually MOVING while carrying a load, front tire durability, loss of rear traction, and axle durability in the longer term, are some of the big issues..

It's a little disappointing in a way when you/we all realize that a loader's capabilities are actually tuned to protect the tractor and the operator, not just something the manufacturer 'forgot' or was too lazy to do better on! It is the way it is for a reason, and to some extent a loader's factory ratings tell you more about the rest of the tractor than they do about the sticks of metal that is the loader itself.

I still plan to massively increase the ~750psi my little B219 loader runs at and 'feel out' those next weakest links.. It's possible some eggs will be broken in the making of that omelette.. I'll let yall know. 😂

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
IMHO everything mentioned here is a "little" tractor, little to no difference besides personal preference.
If your main concern is lifting capacity, you'll want to go the next size up from these tractors.
From where I sit: My little BX23S is good around 500 lbs, or max 750 at a low and slow rate of movement. If you need or want more, move up to looking at the B series.
paul

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Actually, probably TWO sizes up ! If you go up 'one', you'll max it out in a week or two, mumble a few things, THEN go buy the tractor you should have 2 tractors ago....;)
I agree with PaulR, BX23S is good for 500-750 based on terrain.
I KNEW what I was buying and it's actually done MORE than I've needed it to. Neighbours love it !
If I need to do stuff beyond the Kubota's capability , I just use another tractor, or forklift, or....

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
My first project with my 23S was a patio and lifting pallets of stones. To my dismay I could only lift one full course of stones on the pallet at a time, with another few 1/2 courses stacked on the inside.
Once I got passed that project though I've been pretty pleased with everything else it has done.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
BTDT, found out you can lift more IF you stack them up against the loader frame. That works great UNTIL you find a gopher hole.........

• Wow

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
If I need to do stuff beyond the Kubota's capability , I just use another tractor, or forklift, or....
I agree for the most part.. but I have a tendency to operate in tight spaces or, especially around a whole bunch of parked cars, that make me appreciate the maneuverability of a small machine. I just traded away a solid tire forklift because it teetered between punishing and useless on dirt (rattle your teeth out or get stuck, pick your poison). A different type of forklift would be useful but i don't plan on trying another any time soon. I have a small 3000lb skid steer that is near perfect for my use other than the fact that it's still broke down in roughly the same spot it broke down some 8+ months ago.. 😅

My DREAM MACHINE is a mini telehandler with 4wd, 4ws and SSQA. I might even get rid of everything else if i had that.. but for now i think i will keep my two reliable small Kubota loaders and work on getting that skid steer reliable and try not to think about a 50k telehandler..

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
From a standpoint of lifting a bucket full of whatever, both the BX and 1 series will be able to lift a full bucket load, the difference is the BX comes with a 48” bucket while the 1 series comes with a 53” bucket. The machines are performance matched the loader.

The 1 series is a physically larger tractor than the BX and is probably closer to a compact tractor than a subcompact and slots between the BX and B01 series. The real difference is the 1 series runs at a higher hydraulic pressure than the BX which is why it has the higher lift capacity.

if I was going to get a 1 series, I would go with the B01 series as the price is roughly the same and the B01 is a more capable machine. The B01 series is 49” wide while the 1 series is 47” or 48” wide while the BX is 44” wide. The base bucket on the B01 is a 54” bucket.

Last edited: