BX levers watch out.

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
i have a cousin that also has a BX so we have been talking BX lately.
I just heard that he rolled it but is ok. I called him to find out what happened. Apperantly he was mowing in a spot he had done a hundred times before. A downhill slope but there was a root he wanted to clear so without looking he reached down to raise the deck but instead pulled the hydro out of gear and off they went down the hill. As he was trying to get to the brake pedal the front hit a tree and spun the tractor around and on its side, found himself under the roll bar pinned with tractor running. He was able to call for help but eight cracked ribs.
He says he will design a T handle or something to help tell which handle your grabbing, so lucky.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Glad he is OK.

Another reminder to wear your seatbelt even when you think you do not need to.

I’ve done the same thing on my tractors. Scary!

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow- - glad he’s okay!!!

I grabbed the range lever once accidentally. Also grabbed PTO selector once instead of the on/off.

Reactions: 1 user

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Wow- - glad he’s okay!!!

I grabbed the range lever once accidentally. Also grabbed PTO selector once instead of the on/off.

the PTO selector on the 23s IMO is backwards.... the lever is fully forward in the rear only pto position. i hop off my machine, and on a regular basis i find my shorts get caught on the lever.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Glad he had appropriate safety measures in place...probably saved his life. Lesson for those that don't like seat belts or ROPS!

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
First off, I'm glad your cousin is ok.

I just bought my first BX and the one thing I don't like so far is where the 3 point lift lever is located. It seems to me it should be the first thing your hand hits when you reach for it. I was just thinking the other night about trying to weld an extension or something to move the lever up and make it easier to reach to without looking.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
the PTO selector on the 23s IMO is backwards.... the lever is fully forward in the rear only pto position. i hop off my machine, and on a regular basis i find my shorts get caught on the lever.
First off, REAL MEN only wear long pants...or so I thought when in high school a LONG time ago! ROFL.

I have the same issue with shorts. Caught the lever for 4WD without realizing it, and Woo Hoo !!! Started flying down a slope when there was no resistance offered by the front wheels.

Let's all be extra careful out there! Keeping in mind that shorts are cool...literally...

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
First off, REAL MEN only wear long pants...or so I thought when in high school a LONG time ago! ROFL.

I have the same issue with shorts. Caught the lever for 4WD without realizing it, and Woo Hoo !!! Started flying down a slope when there was no resistance offered by the front wheels.

Let's all be extra careful out there! Keeping in mind that shorts are cool...literally...

cargo shorts.... a mans version of a purse..... ha

• Haha

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I often wear coveralls when operating the tractor, and they're kinda baggy.
I had gotten off the tractor to look at something, (in neutral, low range, brake on) and when I got back on, the cuff of the coveralls hooked the shifter and popped it into 1st gear. Tractor immediately started moving, towards the garage wall. Thankfully, because it was in low range, it was moving slow, giving me plenty of time to board & get it stopped. I pay a lot more attention to pant cuffs now.

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
As he was trying to get to the brake pedal the front hit a tree and spun the tractor around and on its side, found himself under the roll bar pinned with tractor running. He was able to call for help but eight cracked ribs.
He says he will design a T handle or something to help tell which handle your grabbing, so lucky.
I am a tractor noob. I just bought my brand new BX2680 about a week ago. We just moved into the mountains on 18 acres. It is a nice house with beautiful mountain views. I want to expand the usable land. My driveway is 1700 ft. long.

The land has some steep slopes and I have been trying to be careful. After reading this post, I can already relate. Simply the forward, reverse and brake have gotten me into some trouble. I won't go into any details but I did spook myself by hitting the WRONG pedal.

So, bear with me. I will be asking a lot of stupid questions.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have caught the back of a shirt on the pto lever getting off the B tractor. I am paranoid about catching a pants cuff and going a** over teakettle, so always tuck my pants into long socks, but not much cure for catching part of a coat or shirt.

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
Well, I didn't want to admit this on my first post but I nearly took off my garage door with the FOPS. Lol

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Well, I didn't want to admit this on my first post but I nearly took off my garage door with the FOPS. Lol
I assume you mean rops? if that's the case you need to actually hit it 2 or 3 times before you are out of 'rookie' status. I finally gave up and cut the rops down so it clears the garage door trim by 1/4"

I haven't caught any clothes on my levers but I am getting good at turning off the key with my knee when I swivel in the seat to look behind me

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a pair of shoes that have fairly large and stiff loops on the rear to help pull them on. That loop aligned well with the differential lock pedal on the right side same side as brake pedals. The differential lock pedal is a round bar. I have a geared tractor with a hand throttle so mowing does not involve your feet much until you need to brake to avoid hitting a tree or something. It was always exciting when the shoe loop got caught on the pedal so you could not reach the brakes in a hurry and had no idea why you can’t extend your leg to the brake pedal.

I don’t use those shoes on the tractor anymore.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have caught the back of a shirt on the pto lever getting off the B tractor. I am paranoid about catching a pants cuff and going a** over teakettle, so always tuck my pants into long socks, but not much cure for catching part of a coat or shirt.
Ditto. Happens to me all the time!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I shut off my tractor before I get off of it. I also put the tractor into 4 wheel drive when going down a hill, so I can use use the engine as a brake. Life is short enough, without making it any shorter by negligence or not paying attention to what you are doing. Accidents can happen to anyone, but never think that you know everything about your tractor, and let your guard down, leading to drastically bad results.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You guys are wearing CLOTHES when on the Kubota..???

F35821AB-58F4-45F3-983D-B7D56CFA3669.jpeg