BX HST screen cleaning

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
Anyone figure out a good plug to use when cleaning the HST screen. On the 50 hour cleaning I had all the fluid drained out so it was not an issue. My screen was completely gummed over on the 50 hour.

Attachments

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have to wonder how that crud came about in 50 hours. I'm sure there are others that can speak to the normality of that. When I'm cleaning metal items like that, I start with carb/ brake cleaner in spray cans. If it's oil, that should be good. Otherwise, Dawn, hot water and a brush should be fine. I'm curious what the pros here say about that gunk.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have to wonder how that crud came about in 50 hours. I'm sure there are others that can speak to the normality of that. When I'm cleaning metal items like that, I start with carb/ brake cleaner in spray cans. If it's oil, that should be good. Otherwise, Dawn, hot water and a brush should be fine. I'm curious what the pros here say about that gunk.
that gunk is not metal ...hope not anyway - it is the gasket sealant that was squeezed into the cavity and then was picked up by the oil and pressed against the screen.

as for cleaning - use any cleaning agent and allow it to dry.

A rubber plug that you used in chemistry class works well.......or any rubber stopper.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Last edited:

OrangeBX

Equipment
Bx2680 FEL, MMM 60", EA 5' rear blade, lp ph10 auger, 50" tiller
Apr 24, 2016
North of Zachary, La
Try a champagne cork with the top cut off! It has to be sme decent champagne too.[/QUO

All the champagne I get comes in a can.
I get it for my wife! I don't drink at all. I have nothing against drinking, just me and drinkin'.
I was about to go out looking for for a plug when the idea hit me. It worked well with just a little shove.

Kevin1

Equipment
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.

jonmad

Equipment
BX2380
Jun 7, 2018
Lebanon
That looks terrible, I'd consider a new screen if the price was respectable.
These screens are pretty hardy. Don’t know why you would need a new one. I sprayed mine off with brake clean and left it dry. Looked like new. I didn’t use any plug though. If you check it when your changing out the HST fluid only a little more comes out when you pull it. I just caught it in a pan. Couldn’t have been more than a few ounces.

Kevin1

Equipment
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
These screens are pretty hardy. Don’t know why you would need a new one. I sprayed mine off with brake clean and left it dry. Looked like new. I didn’t use any plug though. If you check it when your changing out the HST fluid only a little more comes out when you pull it. I just caught it in a pan. Couldn’t have been more than a few ounces.
Mine was pretty gummed up on the 50hour check. Like you I did it after I drained the fluid. Because it was so badthough I feel the need to check it again (now have 130 hours on it). I will do a follow up post when complete.

Kevin1

Equipment
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
Pulled HST screen again at 131 hours for a check. Found no debris at all on screen. I used a #5 rubber plug as a stopper and it worked perfect, only lost a couple of ounces fluid(but you gotta be quick). As a quick recap, on my 50 hour service my screen was almost completely gummed over with sealant.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Pulled HST screen again at 131 hours for a check. Found no debris at all on screen. I used a #5 rubber plug as a stopper and it worked perfect, only lost a couple of ounces fluid(but you gotta be quick). As a quick recap, on my 50 hour service my screen was almost completely gummed over with sealant.
Good news! Thanks for the follow-up.