Buying advice

SpecialK

Sep 10, 2020
NJ
Hello all

New guy here. We have a 2 acre lot in NY Central Adironck wilderness. With a shared 2500’ driveway. We’re at the end of the line. It’s plowed by a local contractor. He does a great job w the driveway. But there are area that I’ve done w a wheel horse & 2 stage snow blower. Typically 2-4 hours a few times peer season.

I also drag some trees . Maintain the stone driveway, mow, & do just about anything else. I’m contemplating a BX or B series. 4x4, loader, rear mount snowblower, & MAYBE a mower. We have a building that would accommodate either for storage.

B series seems a bit much here, the BX could slide right into place of the wheel horse. Wouldn’t seem like too much, I keep coming back to the smaller tractor. I don’t need a mowing deck, although it’d be. Nice. We have 3 boys & 2 push owners.

Strengths

BX is just right size w any attactchment.

B series has dual hydro pumps, steering & main. More power. Larger bucket w more lift capacity. Larger tires & more ground clearance

Cons

BX is smaller. Single pump. You can feel the difference in loader speed

B series larger footprint. Same hp as BX

Thank you

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The proposed tractor is to be a move up from the Wheel Horse, right? The Wheel Horse did everything you asked of it - almost? The only negative you've stated is a slower loader speed on the BX compared to the B. How fast was the Wheel Horse loader? Normally one would buy the biggest tractor he could afford because you can never go too big, it seems. If you don't see any future growth in tractor use the BX may be just the ticket. After having the Wheel Horse even the BX may feel like overkill. I don't know how much power you seek but be advised if you go over twenty five horsepower you'll be adding extra hardware in the form of a diesel particulate filter. I got the L2501 instead of anything bigger for that reason alone.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The first thing I would ask .... what is your budget?

The BX will do everything the B will do, just in smaller bites. I have had my BX for 7 years, no regrets - have I ever thought of going bigger? Sure.... but the reality is the BX is perfect for my situation. The money saved on buying the BX over the B would be enough for a MMM or a 4' rotary mower.

People think the BX is an overstuffed riding lawn mower..... if you look at my avatar .... that is a rather heavy HST John Deere it is picking up and moving to the trash:love:

I used the BX today to skid some railroad ties off a trailer (using the hoe) did it with the FEL and carried several at a time also.....they way I did it today was easier and I was not in a hurry to get them all at the same time.

The B does have 3 ranges .... and more hydraulic capabilities as you mentioned - but unless you need that heavier lifting and multi range - the BX is still a perfect choice. I have increased the bucket lift on my BX - it will safely pickup 15% more than before, as for ground clearance..... not sure I want to run over anything it will not clear easily!

But then again - you know better than anyone what the specific needs are - whatever you choose - send us a picture when you get it home!;)

2020-09-12 10.25.04.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
BX, or possibly a B2301 (with more ground clearance, 3-range, higher lift....) sounds perfect for your needs.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Buy a mower! Those boys will be gone before you know it. Plus it gives more time for play rather then work.

The extra ground clearance would be nice with the B. The bx models need a skid plate for HST fan. Without a mmm the middle of the belly of the bx is exposed to sticks or rocks hitting the fan blade. This is a big deal to repair.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Have both, the BX2370 I use as the lawn mower, tiller and some loader work (more like powered wheel barrel). The B2650 (replaced by LS2610) is my goto machine for everything else. Loaded tires. SSQA loader and assortment of implements for it.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is a true positional 3 point hitch on the B models

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'd say, get the B series...

more capable loader, 3 speed trans, much better ground clearance, and three point position control all for a few beans more.

Oh, and usable split brakes...for plowing snow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Glassman13

Jan 26, 2017
wimauma fl.
In 2016 I got the 2301 over the BX and the 2601 because the flow rate was the same or close on the hydro pump. instead of $ for more HP I put that $ towards a BH 70 backhoe. Did'nt want the MMM cause of ground clearance. Bought it with the 0 dn, 0 int, 0 something else with kubota financing. Good deal all around great tractor so far.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Both will do the job. If you can afford the B get it. It has no real downsides other than price and weight (size-wise it fits pretty much everywhere a BX does, so it's just the weight if you wanted to transport it).

Some people like something that feels more like a lawnmower (particularly if you have a significant other who's going to drive it and isn't comfortable with a more tractor feeling machine). If that's you, the BX is the choice.

But I find it hard to believe you'd ever regret getting a B. Other than money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

SpecialK

Sep 10, 2020
NJ
I’m looking at late model usd market. It’s a “vaction” house, although often seems more like a work camp. The current machines never saw more than comebined 40 hours a year. Wheel Horse 5xi loader and Wheel Horse 314H mowing, snowblower, grading blade. In going Orange I’ll be down to one machine. One oil change, one spot in the shed, one set tries to go flat...

I’m leaning towards the BX due to the size of the property. The B really isn’t that much larger. BUT we’ve got some tight areas where that slightly larger machine will be a PIA maneuvering.

Local dealer has bx2380 w loader & R4 tires for $12500. 60ish hours? It’s tempting. A new machine is $3-4K more.

As for the 3 PT I could only see see myself using a York rake and MAYBE a blade. Well maybe a rear mint snowblower if the Honda doesn’t keep up.

I don’t understand the difference in the 3 PT between B & BX.

Thanks for your opinions. Much appreciated

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
3pt difference is that the BX lever goes up or down. You look over your shoulder and wait till it's where you want.

The B has position control - you put the lever to number 5, and number 5 is always the same height. If you're doing ground engaging work where you need to lift an implement, then put it back where it was again once you've turned around (think plowing for example), then position control is really useful.

The question is whether you're doing any work like that. Grading may be like that, but in my experience I'm always adjusting my height up and down anyway, and I don't do grading that often anyway.

If you're just using your 3ph to lift things and move them (rear forks, chipper, that kind of thing) then no need for position control.

BX is about the right size for that property. But you're on the cusp of a B, and a B is a great machine. Depends if you want a machine that's a little bit big, or a right size machine.

Will you be driving in the woods at all - do you need ground clearance, or is it mostly reasonably groomed lawn?

Will you lift much on the 3ph? I did pavers with forks on the 3ph, and a pallet. I could only stack a couple layers on that pallet with my BX, a B lifts twice as much on the 3ph as a BX. Every other measure, the B does about 30% more than the BX.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I’d go b2301 or 2601 or look at a JD 1025r

JD1025R is Deere's BX2380.....;) ( the deere DOES have position control however!)

The real difference between the standard BX2380 (16k with loader) and a B2301 (close to 19k with loader) boils down to about 3 grand before any discounts or rebates..... if you can wing that 3k - I too would recommend the B series.

As mentioned in post #12 - Paul explains the 3 point differences very well, I will tell you, 1/4" valve on the BX is a PITA, I have had several tractors, position control is awesome, IF you need a certain distance of an implement from the ground.

Argue the dealer down from that $12,500 - even though he knows it is a hot item - 60 hours is barely past the first fluid service, so basically a new machine.

Last edited:

SpecialK

Sep 10, 2020
NJ
Ever ceases to amaze me how some things just fall into place. Contacted another dealer today. They have BX 2670 loader, mower, pallet forks, & snowblower w 450 hours. He wouldn’t even take a deposit. Said he’d hold it until I can get up there on Friday.
619A1C35-8749-45B4-8454-9827658ACFA4.jpeg
1187C757-3986-452E-A983-0471EBD58F1F.jpeg

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Getting all the implements in one go is a great deal. Price will be interesting, but I'd guess that machine would be a fair bit cheaper than a 40 hour machine.

Remember the 70 series is missing a few features that the 80 has. Most notably the lever manifold/flat face couplers on the loader. I live fine without that on my BX2350, but sometimes think it would be nice - I take the loader off to mow, so it's on and off a lot, and because my shed is small I have to squish along the side of the tractor to get to the pioneer couplers, and they're a little fiddly to get off because they're behind the loader. Always get fluid on my hands, and sometimes bang or skin something while doing it. I know some have problems with the manifold coupler, but I think I'd happily pay a bit more to have one.

Having said that, getting a snow blower in the deal could mean you're a lot cheaper than retail. I'd probably give up on the manifold coupler to have a snow blower - well, I would if it snowed where I live. :cool:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My thoughts on tractor buying is... Buy as big as you can afford, always. Why I have 2 M9's. A sizeable investment but big enough, most times.... :p

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Ever ceases to amaze me how some things just fall into place. Contacted another dealer today. They have BX 2670 loader, mower, pallet forks, & snowblower w 450 hours. He wouldn’t even take a deposit. Said he’d hold it until I can get up there on Friday.
Be careful. Had a buddy do that a month ago and when he showed up another salesman had "accidentally" sold it.

SpecialK

Sep 10, 2020
NJ
Thanks for all your input.
D7CD9AF4-3015-4E1B-81CF-068FA5837A02.jpeg
Found a 2370 w 550 hours locally. Under budget. FEL & 54” MMM. Unfortunately it had turf tires.
I was lucky to find brand new R4 mounted an hour away.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Looks to be in good condition (my 1,000 hour BX2350 is a mess), I'm sure you'll be very happy. Nice to have turf tires as well - I like my turfs for a lot of what I do. Although my lawn is a bit more.....lawn like than what I can see of yours. :)