Buying Advice - First New Tractor

mopac01

Aug 21, 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
I've decided I've had enough of my 1942 2N. I have 5 acres with a half dozen scattered trees, a small "stand" of 10-12 trees along a "creek" that only flows when it rains hard, a septic pond and an "ornamental" pond about 2-3 times the size of the septic pond. The 2N was fine for pulling the brush hog when all I had was empty pasture. It pulled a small plow once in a blue moon for my wife's 25'x25' vegetable garden and once a year or so ran a post hole digger. Well, that's when the 2N would start that is. It always seems like I have a problem with it just when I want to use it. I'm tired of spending more time next to it than on it. I want something that "just works."

2 years ago we fenced the property into 3 separate pastures, put up a 36x36 monitor barn (with hay loft) and added 3 horses and a dozen chickens to the mix. The house sits 50' from the road so my gravel driveway is very short at 80' feet or so to the rear of the house. It needs some maintenance from time to time, but not much. I can find uses for the FEL. I've wished I had one on quite a few occasions when getting a load of dirt or gravel out of the back of my F150.

I think I could probably get by with a large B but the L seems so much stouter. The 3800 adds $1,500 to the cost and I'm just not sure if the L3200 isn't already meeting the "figure out the size you need and then go one bigger" maxum.

So I'd like comments on whether for my needs I'd really ever use the extra 5 horses. I don't plan on ever buying another property or another tractor.

I'm considering getting a rear blade, box blade, 5' brush cutter. Any recommendations on specific Land Pride models would also be welcome. I can get a good deal on any of the Land Pride stuff I buy with the tractor.

Last edited:

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
I had a Ford 8N that I really liked. It had a loader, a Sherman up and down transmission, and an over-running clutch. It was a very useful tractor, and I loved it. However, I'm getting long in the tooth, have arthritis, and found the combination of manual steering ("Armstrong" power steering) and a front end loader to be really troublesome.

To replace it, I bought a Kubota L2550 with 700 hours. It had power steering, a cab (which I didn't like), four wheel drive, a loader with down pressure, and very flexible gearing. It was an order of magnitude improvement in capability over the Ford. However, it was a very narrow tractor, and it scared me on steep hills.

I traded it for a Kubota L6240. This is an order of magnitude improvement over the L2550. It is also extremely stable with loaded tires spread at their widest separation.

This long-winded story leads to the point that I think you will find any of the modern tractors with horsepower as great or greater than that of the 8N will give you capabilities you never thought possible.

My recommendation would be to check out your local dealers and try some of their wares, starting with a horsepower similar to the Ford's.

I'm no expert, so you will probably get better advice from others, but this is where I would start. Good luck, and let us know how you made out.

PMH

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The Ford 8N was only a 25hp tractor, so a compareable 25hp Kubota would be in the B or BX series line up. The L3800 would bebe a huge night and day difference over an old 2N. Either way you'll be ticked to have a 32/3800 Kubota.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Any small 4wd Kubota w loader would be a HUGE improvement.

L3200 or L3800 would be more than enough tractor and a pleasure to use.

I've been truly impressed with our L3800DT!!!

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I've decided I've had enough of my 1942 2N. I have 5 acres with a half dozen scattered trees, a small "stand" of 10-12 trees along a "creek" that only flows when it rains hard, a septic pond and an "ornamental" pond about 2-3 times the size of the septic pond. The 2N was fine for pulling the brush hog when all I had was empty pasture. It pulled a small plow once in a blue moon for my wife's 25'x25' vegetable garden and once a year or so ran a post hole digger. Well, that's when the 2N would start that is. It always seems like I have a problem with it just when I want to use it. I'm tired of spending more time next to it than on it. I want something that "just works."

2 years ago we fenced the property into 3 separate pastures, put up a 36x36 monitor barn (with hay loft) and added 3 horses and a dozen chickens to the mix. The house sits 50' from the road so my gravel driveway is very short at 80' feet or so to the rear of the house. It needs some maintenance from time to time, but not much. I can find uses for the FEL. I've wished I had one on quite a few occasions when getting a load of dirt or gravel out of the back of my F150.

I think I could probably get by with a large B but the L seems so much stouter. The 3800 adds $1,500 to the cost and I'm just not sure if the L3200 isn't already meeting the "figure out the size you need and then go one bigger" maxum.

So I'd like comments on whether for my needs I'd really ever use the extra 5 horses. I don't plan on ever buying another property or another tractor.

I'm considering getting a rear blade, box blade, 5' brush cutter. Any recommendations on specific Land Pride models would also be welcome. I can get a good deal on any of the Land Pride stuff I buy with the tractor.
Mopac01:

Wow! I had a 1944 2N ford here on 6.5 acres. Similar to you. My wife couldn't deal with it as you had to operate about 5 things at once to make it go, the 3 point wouldn't stay in any position so you had to drive with one eye in the back of your head to see what it was doing if plowing snow...

We got an L3700SU (Same as the L3800) with FEL and never looked back. My wife can drive it safely, the loader has paid for itself and the 3 point stays where you put it. Our Grandson operates it perfectly as well, he is 14.

If you read all the info about buying, you will find that the majority of the recommendations are to go bigger. I agree. The 3800 will serve you well, it is a good tractor and sized well for your acreage.

We have helped many neighbors also with our tractor. The implements that are most useful are a snow blade and a box blade.

The Kubota L3800 is a far cry from the Ford 2N although Ford built a great tractor even then, they survive today because of their durability and special interest but are not really safe as is no tractor but a ROP can save your butt.

Have fun with you decision. My recommendation is to spend the extra dough and go for it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too had a 53 Jubilee, used it for everything, brush hogging, scraping, pulling - etc.
I have "wanted" a front end loader and hoe forever! I bit the bullet and bought a Bx-25D, thinking I did not want the mower.....then it dawned on me, buy the mower (0% interest) and sell the Jubi, but I dont want to sell the ol girl! Well after about 6 seconds of thought, it was on craigslist and boom gone! I have noooo regrets at all, loved the ol girl, but this BX does everything i need to do, power steering with the pinky, 4 wheel drive on demand, a bucket! a HOE and a 5' cutter......O and yes, 59 more payments that I am not minding..

I look forward to getting on it, hell - I think of things to do JUST to get on it !!!!

mopac01

Aug 21, 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
Thanks for the advice. I'm all but there on the L3200. Kubota has ceased production on the L32/3800 and there will be new level 4 emissions models replacing them. I don't want to absorb that price increase or deal with "gen 1" modifications that turn out to be less than what they expected when designed.

The dealer I've chosen is sourcing a 3200 now as the only ones he has in stock are 3800s.

I spent a good deal of time on the phone with a friend who agonized over a B vs an L back in 2008. Once he decided he liked the heft of the L better he then starting thinking of 2800 vs 3400 (which was the previous versions of the current L3200 and L3800.) He went with the 2800 for 100 acres of mostly wooded land with lake front and hundreds of feet of private gravel road. He uses a 5' brush cutter and 6' box blade mostly - along with the FEL. He has 80 hours on it now and he says it's got all the power he ever needed. He says he'll run out of traction before he runs out of horses.

My 5 acres is already cleared and finished. There are no stumps to pull or firewood to drag in or creeks to slosh through. I love everything my wife and I have planned and built. I want to die here, so more/different land isn't a plan. Nor is resale value either. I'm planning on a grading scrapper rather than a box blade since I think smoothing out my 80' gravel driveway or the small dirt barrel racing arena in one of the pastures is the likely dirt work I'll do most often. I really think a high end B would do what I need and the L3200 is really the "next size up" as everyone keeps telling me to go. I think the extra $1,500 for the L3800 would be money I couldn't get as direct a return from as putting it towards a nice 18' double axle trailer I could use to haul the tractor or haul hay.

Last edited:

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
...I think the extra $1,500 for the L3800 would be money I couldn't get as direct a return from as putting it towards a nice 18' double axle trailer I could use to haul the tractor or haul hay.
Very good reasoning; I'd do the same (but I'm not sure what kind of trailer $1500 will get you:eek:)
We nearly sprung for a 3200 last year when an L2800 kinda fell into our lap. Love that machine.

The whole "next one up" mentality is pernicious: it never really ends.

mopac01

Aug 21, 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
Very good reasoning; I'd do the same (but I'm not sure what kind of trailer $1500 will get you:eek:)
We nearly sprung for a 3200 last year when an L2800 kinda fell into our lap. Love that machine.

The whole "next one up" mentality is pernicious: it never really ends.
I need to clarify. I didn't mean that I'd buy a $1,500 trailer but that I'd APPLY the $1,500 TOWARDS a trailer. What do you think about this one? http://www.mellortrailers.com/detailcargo.asp?ID=42874 Good value for the $?

ck21084

Equipment
L3200-DT, LP 1672,B7100 enrossi 5ft finish mower, 7ft backblade, 20"subsoiler
Jul 6, 2013
United States
Not sure of pricing nationally but $1600 in Tampa fl will get you a tandem axle 10k lbs trailer with electric brakes and 2 5/16 ball.
The axles are dexter 6k each

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
not to completely railroad this thread but... you can't get anything worthwhile in these parts (SoCal) for that little money. Decent used 7K# trailers are $2500+..

My new 10,000# trailer w/ brakes on both axles was *cough* more than that.
Still stinging from that one.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I need to clarify. I didn't mean that I'd buy a $1,500 trailer but that I'd APPLY the $1,500 TOWARDS a trailer. What do you think about this one? http://www.mellortrailers.com/detailcargo.asp?ID=42874 Good value for the $?
Spend a few nickels more and get an actual equipment trailer rated for 10k. The one you posted is a light weight car trailer rated for 7k at best. Too light of a trailer wont hold up long.

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/equipment-trailers/equipment-trailer/10000-16-wood-equipment-trailer/

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Have to tell you I love my L3200. Its a great machine and you wont be disappointed. I haul it with my 2004 chevy half ton with a 7k pj trailer with no problem. Granted, a 10k would be nice, but certainly not necessary. I dont move it a lot. Good luck you will be happy with the l3200/3800.