Buying a used Kubota

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
It's considered a "Gray Market" tractor, one that was shipped here NOT by Kubota... kin to the "legal" L225. Kubota will not support it, but does support L225, wink, wink...

As to "good tractor to buy", does it run and function? Does it look like it's been taken care off or beaten to heck...

mcar_man

Dec 7, 2023
Ohio
It's considered a "Gray Market" tractor, one that was shipped here NOT by Kubota... kin to the "legal" L225. Kubota will not support it, but does support L225, wink, wink...

As to "good tractor to buy", does it run and function? Does it look like it's been taken care off or beaten to heck...
Thank you for that info. It's being sold on marketplace. Looks in good shape. Still has good paint and tires looks new. Says that it runs and comes with a brush. Hog. Trying to get more info from the seller. I know nothing about Kubota and Don't want to get burnt.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
OTT, (Orange Tractor Talks) has a pretty good resource pertaining to Gray Market Kubota tractors.

old and tired raises some great points to consider before pulling the trigger on the L2000.

You can read about it here,

ultimate-gray-market-must-read.20178

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you for that info. It's being sold on marketplace. Looks in good shape. Still has good paint and tires looks new. Says that it runs and comes with a brush. Hog. Trying to get more info from the seller. I know nothing about Kubota and Don't want to get burnt.
To avoid getting "burnt"...

Seems as though a bit more time/effort/learning should go into your tractor search.
You are obviously starting from absolute zero on the tractor learning curve.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It'd be a bit of a red flag to see a very new looking machine on market place, especially if it's a very good price. It may be a scam. The usual advice is to ask for more pictures, but asking for quite specific things so that if someone has just harvested pictures off the web somewhere they won't have that thing. So perhaps asking for a photo of the hydraulic cylinders to check for leaks, or a good photo of the PTO shaft so you can look at something. Or of the serial number plate. That'll quickly out a scammer - not foolproof, but a good start.

For a first tractor you'd probably be better with a B7100 or something like that - something like this would be around $5k: https://www.mascus.com/agriculture/tractors/kubota-b-7100/dq7tckgn.html

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you have Kenmore appliances in harvest gold, shag carpet on your ceilings and plastic covering your couches and carpets then the L2000 is a great find. If you live in Japan parts will be easier to find.

Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It'd be a bit of a red flag to see a very new looking machine on market place, especially if it's a very good price. It may be a scam. The usual advice is to ask for more pictures, but asking for quite specific things so that if someone has just harvested pictures off the web somewhere they won't have that thing. So perhaps asking for a photo of the hydraulic cylinders to check for leaks, or a good photo of the PTO shaft so you can look at something. Or of the serial number plate. That'll quickly out a scammer - not foolproof, but a good start.

For a first tractor you'd probably be better with a B7100 or something like that - something like this would be around $5k: https://www.mascus.com/agriculture/tractors/kubota-b-7100/dq7tckgn.html
I”ve read where ..when shopping online for items that look ”too good”….to ask for a current picture of the item…with TODAYS newspaper included in the photo. (Apparently in an effort to demonstrate the photo actually IS a current photo.)

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
I”ve read where ..when shopping online for items that look ”too good”….to ask for a current picture of the item…with TODAYS newspaper included in the photo. (Apparently in an effort to demonstrate the photo actually IS a current photo.)
Yep good point, there are sooo many pictures of how a tractor looked when they picked it up, not today. I saw one with a dude with 80's fashion/haircut and the pictures were scans of photos... really made me chuckle. That's how things work when the ads are free and the seller has zero to lose.

To the OP's question, you probably came here for confirmation, so yes, its a great buy. For someone at the right price. Is it a good fit for you? We can't tell with the absolute minimal information you gave us. Frankly, we're not off to a good start for you or the tractor. You haven't mentioned the price, the hours, your plans for it, your experience in operating it or fixing it.... how about giving us a little more to work with.....

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I don’t think I’d recommend a gray market for anybody that’s not mechanically handy and capable of doing their own maintenance and work. I definitely would want to put my eyes on it in person before I’d be putting any money down on it. At the end of the day pictures are not actually proof of anything. A terd can be cleaned. What will help folks give you advice on if this is a good tractor and worth going to view it would be more info. Hours on the meter if it’s still counting price your needs etc etc as stated above. Help us help you lol

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
is a kubota l2000 diesel a good tractor to buy
Why shore it is and don't let folks tank your plans with questions about condition,price,intended use and other irrelevant details.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I have a short list of Kubotas I'd Like to Own (KILOs?).
That list is mostly populated by the largest 25-35 year-old L-series tractors.
I developed this list by researching the specs, dimensions, and engines at tractordata.com.
They have a 'full' listing of Kubota models, here:
TractorData.com - Kubota farm tractors sorted by model

At that site, you can also learn how models transitioned over time.
The data is not 100% accurate and often incomplete, but it's a good starting place.

Once I had my short list, the next thing is to see what you can learn about the marketplace.
A great place to search previous and upcoming sales is tractorhouse.
Here's one of my typical searches:
KUBOTA Tractors Auction Results | TractorHouse.com

You can play around with the selection buttons on the left to search for what you're interested in.
Under the "Listing Type" button, I'll look at Auction Results to see historical data, and then Upcoming Auctions and Sales to see what's up for sale (and where).

What I have noticed over time is that the sales prices of tractors sold at auction are highly variable, and not always driven by condition. The market can be more or less active depending on region. Attachments and features (Dual Traction) often increase the apparent demand.

I generally like to 'kick the tires' before I make an offer or a bid, but I bought my G1800S sight-unseen, two states away on an online auction based on its low hours (<1200), and its selling price (about half what I was willing to pay). Bidding remotely (online) is a bit unnerving, but not so bad if there's not a lot of bidding activity.

The two tractors I have bought at auction were previously owned by people who tended to neglect regular maintenance or minor repairs, and I filled a kind of 'rescue' role in buying them, 'just in time'.

Good Luck!
-Paul