Buyer Beware: MOWER KING Smooth Compactor #SSVR72

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
hmm.. THAT could explain things ! Bet the dealer doesn't order a lot of them....might have had 'old stock' ?
Wonder if they have 'date codes' or 'timed serial numbers' on the units ? Also the dealer sells LOTS of equipment, might not be an expert on everything he sells. Pretty sure every Kubota sales person KNOWS everything about every product they sell.
Seller was located in Murfreesboro, TN. He still has one unit remaining.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I asked about the' hose routing' as I've seen equipment,that for 'shipping purposes', reroute 'stuff' to make it fit into a container or onto a shipping skid. My only refernece is the pictures in the manual and it looked like maybe they might be adjusted to a better angle to work for you

There's a Bobcat 853 next door, have no idea if it's low or high flow(is it obvious ?), but considering how beat up the SSQA unit is , I seriously doubt any 'auto connect' would work

As for 'design flaw', don't ever buy a Kubota BX23S and expect the Kubota designed and manufactured dual rear remote kit will fit and work 'out of the package'.... THAT ain't possible.

Ford's 'better idea' was to feed an unecessary switch,drenched in flammable hydraulic fluid through a 15 amp fuse, 24/7. Sigh. It's not just Mower King.....

There's really no such thing as 'standards'...they're better called 'commonly used--subject to change'. Every industry is full of 'standards' that have been changed(for better or worse ) over the years. The computer industry is full of them. One example.... someone decided to reverse the use of 2 pins in the comports. transmit became receive, receive became transmit !!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Older model? They don't state the problem, they minimize it by stating there is a problem with no explantion. I have call every supplier that I can find within a 450 mile radius that sell this type of vibrator from Mower King and they are all made with the same defect. This is simple as good business acumen, recall all the units that have to poor design., or send folks an engineered fix. geez!
Ill bet that every model sitting on someones lot to sell (like how you bought yours) has this or these same defects. New ones being made right now in a china factory probably have been fixed but wont help all those that bought the "old model"

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Seller was located in Murfreesboro, TN. He still has one unit remaining.
"He still has one unit remaining"

I am absolutely certain that I DON"T want it !!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
I asked about the' hose routing' as I've seen equipment,that for 'shipping purposes', reroute 'stuff' to make it fit into a container or onto a shipping skid. My only refernece is the pictures in the manual and it looked like maybe they might be adjusted to a better angle to work for you

There's a Bobcat 853 next door, have no idea if it's low or high flow(is it obvious ?), but considering how beat up the SSQA unit is , I seriously doubt any 'auto connect' would work

As for 'design flaw', don't ever buy a Kubota BX23S and expect the Kubota designed and manufactured dual rear remote kit will fit and work 'out of the package'.... THAT ain't possible.

Ford's 'better idea' was to feed an unecessary switch,drenched in flammable hydraulic fluid through a 15 amp fuse, 24/7. Sigh. It's not just Mower King.....

There's really no such thing as 'standards'...they're better called 'commonly used--subject to change'. Every industry is full of 'standards' that have been changed(for better or worse ) over the years. The computer industry is full of them. One example.... someone decided to reverse the use of 2 pins in the comports. transmit became receive, receive became transmit !!
Hydraulic hoses on equipment are clearly standardized depending on flow and pressure. please do DD.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
my DD for the past hour has come up with some interesting facts....

from a major mfr of equipment....

"The hydraulic couplers may be different sizes for high and low flow skid steers, but this varies largely by machine. "

...so NOT 'standardized'......

And from a well known Bobcat forum....
14 different answers as to how to tell 'high flow or low flow'.....on ONE machine model....

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota

Don't badmouth "standards". Standards are awesome. The best part is that there are so many to choose from!
:)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Reading what I've read is a cautionary tail on purchasing something that you don't know about and don't know how to inspect for use or fit.
So before you purchase any implement you should know what it should fit, how it should run, and how to inspect it for operation and build before you buy it.
I don't doubt you bought a very poor piece of machinery, but you didn't do yourself any favors buying a machine on the quick without doing proper research, and I bet you didn't get any warrantee with it either.
Cheap poorly made machinery and equipment is a dime a dozen.
Some folks are masters of the obvious. As I explained to a different reader, Kubota holds 39% of the worlds market share in Skid Steer sale ALONE. That make them the worlds largest manufacture/sales of skid steers. If an attachment company wishes to do business in a global market, they should definitely assure that their attachments fit the machine that is made by the world leading manufacture of the machines that your attachment is attempting to fit. This is taught in Business 101, on the very first. I already said I rushed the sale because I had to complete a job (you must have missed that). As a courtsy, you should never beat someone up for something that they have already admitted fault to. Although, some people just can't resist the internal urge to post senseless rude comments, hoping that their "hind sight" of knowledge impresses folks. Thanks for your input.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
my DD for the past hour has come up with some interesting facts....

from a major mfr of equipment....

"The hydraulic couplers may be different sizes for high and low flow skid steers, but this varies largely by machine. "

...so NOT 'standardized'......

And from a well known Bobcat forum....
14 different answers as to how to tell 'high flow or low flow'.....on ONE machine model....
Skidsteer highflow couplings are almost all standardized. My son works for a very well know world wide manufacture of forestry attachments that fit many machines including skid steers, unless told differently, they install "standard highflown couplers" on all attachments.
In addition, I just purchased three more attachments (excavator swivel/titl, an excavator rotator, and a breaker) in the past two weeks. When asked if the what couplers came with the attachment,, the two different manufactures noted that they come with "Standard" couplers that fit most machines and KUBOTA. One manufacture was a Chinese manufacture. Thanks for your input.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Some folks are masters of the obvious. As I explained to a different reader, Kubota holds 39% of the worlds market share in Skid Steer sale ALONE. That make them the worlds largest manufacture/sales of skid steers. If an attachment company wishes to do business in a global market, they should definitely assure that their attachments fit the machine that is made by the world leading manufacture of the machines that your attachment is attempting to fit. This is taught in Business 101, on the very first. I already said I rushed the sale because I had to complete a job (you must have missed that). As a courtsy, you should never beat someone up for something that they have already admitted fault to. Although, some people just can't resist the internal urge to post senseless rude comments, hoping that their "hind sight" of knowledge impresses folks. Thanks for your input.
Are you actually suggesting that the moderator should moderate himself?

KOsterson

Equipment
Kubota SVL 95 2s
May 13, 2023
Texas
Mikestolarik,
I had the exact same thing happen with one I just purchased. I have been in fear that I missed a grease zerk or something. I only found one on each side. Is that correct? I pushed about 20 pumps in, and was stopped out of fear of blowing a seal. Sounds like I was way off.
By the way how did they miss the quick coupler deal? I welded a 3x3 tubing coupler to mine to fix the issue. I guess I’ll break it down and order parts! Thanks for any help or advice!

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Mikestolarik,
I had the exact same thing happen with one I just purchased. I have been in fear that I missed a grease zerk or something. I only found one on each side. Is that correct? I pushed about 20 pumps in, and was stopped out of fear of blowing a seal. Sounds like I was way off.
By the way how did they miss the quick coupler deal? I welded a 3x3 tubing coupler to mine to fix the issue. I guess I’ll break it down and order parts! Thanks for any help or advice!
When sitting in the cab with the attachment hitched to the Skidsteer; there are two (2) zerks on the right hand side. One is on the end of the main shaft, and the other is up inside the cavity, mounted on the side of the pillow-block bearing.

Reactions: 1 users

KOsterson

Equipment
Kubota SVL 95 2s
May 13, 2023
Texas
When sitting in the cab with the attachment hitched to the Skidsteer; there are two (2) zerks on the right hand side. One is on the end of the main shaft, and the other is up inside the cavity, mounted on the side of the pillow-block bearing.
Thank you!

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
re: the bearings were dry......

heck, I'd love to know how B&S ,Honda, etc. test their small engines with NO oil in them before they ship !
That I can tell you. Well, at least how they did it 40 plus years ago. The engine is filled with oil, started, checked for leaks and odd noises, and then the engine is tilted , the drain plug is removed along with the fill plug. A hose with low air pressure is put in the fill hole and the oil is literally blown out of the engine. Well, 99% of it. The same oil is used again and again. When it is disposed I don't know, but since the engines only run for a few minutes, I'd say probably monthly.

I was curious about how small engines were test run, so I called B&S and asked them. The question I forgot to ask was how do the feed the engines fuel? If they use the tank on the engine, then they have a way of removing the residual fuel and squirting some type of oily preservative in the tank.

What brought my call to B&S about was my grandfather bought a new riding mower from a big box store. I brought it home, put oil and gas in the engine and when I pulled the recoil start cord the engine just spun like the spark plug was out. I removed the plug, checked for spark, and screwed in a compression gauge. The needle barely moved. I knew the engine had compression release, but even that gives you some resistance in the way of compression.

Long story short, someone at B&S was having a bad day and put the rings on the piston with all of the gaps at 12 o'clock. The compression pressure just leaked into the crankcase. I took the engine apart, turned the rings to space the gaps apart and put it back together. It started second pull and ran great for many years. My original question to B&S was how it got past their QA?

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I was curious about how small engines were test run, so I called B&S and asked them. The question I forgot to ask was how do the feed the engines fuel? If they use the tank on the engine, then they have a way of removing the residual fuel and squirting some type of oily preservative in the tank.
I know this one / I know this one / I know this one (haha)

I had a tour of a B&S plant many years ago and for fuel the tech had a bench tank with a bulb primer on it. (sorta like a plastic 3 gallon or so boat outboard motor tank) plugged the hose direct to carb of the pressure washer he was assembling, a few pumps on the bulb, then a test start.

So no fuel added to the machines tank just a bowl full direct to the carb.

i don't remember how or if he drained the bowl after firing it up though.

Last edited:

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
I know this one / I know this one / I know this one (haha)

I had a tour of a B&S plant many years ago and for fuel the tech had a bench tank with a bulb primer on it. (sorta like a plastic 3 gallon or so boat outboard motor tank) plugged the hose direct to carb of the pressure washer he was assembling, a few pumps on the bulb, then a test start.

So no fuel added to the machines tank just a bowl full direct to the carb.

i don't remember how or if he drained the bowl after firing it up though.
That would make sense why the fuel tank never smells like gasoline, but I can't see that working on a diaphragm carb, but I'm sure they have something figured out for that.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Reading what I've read is a cautionary tail on purchasing something that you don't know about and don't know how to inspect for use or fit.
So before you purchase any implement you should know what it should fit, how it should run, and how to inspect it for operation and build before you buy it.
I don't doubt you bought a very poor piece of machinery, but you didn't do yourself any favors buying a machine on the quick without doing proper research, and I bet you didn't get any warrantee with it either.
Cheap poorly made machinery and equipment is a dime a dozen.
You are excellent and hindsight essays, Congratulations

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You are excellent and hindsight essays, Congratulations
You have berated and chastised me 3 times on this, on three separate posts!
What is your point / or problem?

Sorry if I pointed out issues with your purchase or purchasing method.
My reply is really not meant for you, it's meant for the thousands of others that read posts about implements.

tomk

Equipment
Kubota 97-2
Nov 30, 2023
Texas
Sorry I don't buy the "it don't connect to MY specific machine out of the crate" complaints unless you are buying a Landpride attachment made for your specific Kubota.

Fittings are fittings and there is a lot of variation out there between machines. I find many attachments come sans couplers out of the crate for that very reason.

Metric threads? Your hydraulic shop having issues with Metric? Time to switch shops.
Sorry I don't buy the "it don't connect to MY specific machine out of the crate" complaints unless you are buying a Landpride attachment made for your specific Kubota.

Fittings are fittings and there is a lot of variation out there between machines. I find many attachments come sans couplers out of the crate for that very reason.

Metric threads? Your hydraulic shop having issues with Metric? Time to switch shops.

I bought the same roller and everything he said happened to me. It would not fit my tak tl12r2, so I cut the whole swivel rod off with a band saw. Then couldn't find fittings so had to cut the hoses. Mine only ran 2 min before smoking but would not take grease because they drilled out a bolt from factory and put a zerk in the end of the bolt, but it was drilled crooked so grease spewed from the side of the bolt. Found another bolt, drilled and taped it to fix that problem. It was missing all the zerks but the one in the messed up bootleg bolt, so had to replace all those.
After all that I used it about 20 min amd the plastic coupler between motor and rod came apart because the bolts were only finger tight. Instead of buying the parts I welded the splinded coupler directly to the rod and bolted the motor up. It's worked so far but I have never ever seen such a POS straight from the create. Only thing that has been decent so far is the create it came in. I had to cut it apart with a band saw.
I will never ever buy a mower king, AGT product again.