Buyer Beware: MOWER KING Smooth Compactor #SSVR72

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Buyer Beware of Mower King/AGT CompactorSSVR72: www.AGROTKINDUSTRIAL.com

Note: After 6 months of knowing of this problem, the manufacture has still not changed the design of the compactors. In fact, they have no plan to change the design to cure these problems.
2/1/23 I purchased a Mower King (AGT) smooth roller compactor. I needed a compactor to complete a job next week. No compactors were available for rent for over a month out. The only compactor I could find was a high flow Mower King unit. The unit was new and still in the steel crate and cost $4,500.00. The unit was located 2 hours away. When I got it home I discovered a multitude of issues with the unit.
2/6/23: Update. I discovered that Mower King/AGT does NOT give any type of warrantee with any of their products unless you directly purchase their products from their warehouse in Chicago. Therefore, if you purchase a new product from MK/AGT and it breaks the first time you use it, they will not stand behind their product. This kind of tells you how confident they are in their quality.
1) The compactor will NOT connect/couple to a Kubota equipped with an auto hydraulic locking system. How could engineers be this absent minded? The compactors roller pivot hub extends into the skid steers attachment plate. It extends so far that it contacts heavily with the hydraulic cylinder for the auto coupling system. The compactor pivot hub is approximately 3/4 inches too long, and could not be cut shorter. To fix this, I had to purchase an additional 3/8 thick attachment mounting plate ($276.00). I then had to plasma cut a hole in the new plate so I could later access the HDLPE bushing on the pivot shaft. (See picture b below). I then welded the additional attachment mounting plate to the mounting plate that was already welded to the compactor by the factory,. This was done by adding 2- 3" x 3/8" x 16" steel plates on the side and 1-1-1/4"x3/8"x 36" steel plate on the top of the two attachment plates thus joining the two attachment plates together. What a disaster!
tempImage5cqjlH.jpg

2) The unit did not come with quick connect couplers. A set of quick connect couplers (Male, Female and bypass couplers) cost $710.00.
3) The hose ends were some type of metric female threaded ends. They were not compatible with standard Skid Steer DIN quick connect couplers. The Hydraulic shop could not find an adaptor fitting in the GATES fitting book that would fit the metric hose ends. They had to cut off all three female hose ends off the hoses that were supplied by the manufacture and switched to DIN fittings ($50.00).
4) Even though there is a hose loom that is well built and mounted to the machine, when the hoses are fed through the loom and connected to the SS, all three hoses rub on the compactor drum. I had the make two new taller hose looms to prevent rubbing.

Update 2/4/23: Additional problems.
5) I discovered that the unit was assembled with the hydraulic motor clocked in the wrong position but, even though I corrected the clock of the hydraulic motor to the specified clock, the hoses are still rubbing the roller. Had to design a higher mounting bracket.
6) I used the compactor for the first time. Within one minute the bearing the motor side was smoking. I shut it off imeadately. Discovered that the compactor was not greased from the factory. All bearings were dry.
7) The primary hydraulic motor bearing grease fitting was not accessible and the zerk fitting was missing. It was impossible to access fitting and install the zerk fitting. An access hole was near buy, but was 2" away from the zerk fitting position (again poor design). I had to drill a 5/8 hole in the side frame in order to install the zerk and grease the bearing.
8) Zerk fitting was missing from the center shaft of the left side. Replaced and greased bearing.
8) The large self aligning bearing on the opposite side of the hydraulic motor was clocked in the wrong position. I had to remove the 4-10mm bolts and clock the bearing so the the zerk fitting was facing the down position.
Update: 2/6/23. Today I used the compactor for the first time. It ran for approximately 30 minutes. At that point the motor side began smoking very bad. I shut it off and greases the bearing again. It lasted another 5 minutes and then locked up solid. Upon disassembly, I discovered that the bearings ($1000.00) heated up and were destroyed. In addition, the Style #4 dampener for the motor broke in to three pieces and broke bolts. Very aggravating. And to top it off the manufacture does not provide any type of warrantee, unless you purchase directly from their warehouse. I'll let ya'll know the cost of parts.

UPDATE 3/7/23. Last week (3 months later), the remainder of the parts arrived and I reassembled the the compactor. Some things I discovered:
The simple root cause was that my compactor bearings failing was because it was not greased from the factory. The first time the compactor began smoking from too much bearing heat, I shut it down and greased it. I tend. to over grease everything. I put approximately 25 pumps of grease on both sided of the compactor ZERK fittings. While repairing the unit, I discovered that 25 pumps of grease was just barley enough to suffice the grease needed on the non-motor side. I had to pump 33 pumps of grease in the grease fitting that's is located on in the end of the shaft in order for the large internal bearing to be greased fully. The motor side bearing cavity took 50 pumps of grease, which is a little over 1/2 a large tube of grease (90 Pumps of grease consumes a full tube of grease). My motto is, grease a lot and grease often, ya can never have too much grease. I also took pictures of how I clocked the hydraulic motor and ran the hoses. I had to make the hose retainer (circled in Purple) with the spring in order to keep the hoses from rubbing.
IMG_6059.JPG
IMG_6057 2.jpg

Side Note: Remember to not let your hydraulic hosed rub on any parts of the compactor. When the compactor is on, if hoses are rubbing against the compactor, you could rub a hole on a hose within a couple of minutes.

Conclusion: I have purchased China implements for skid steers and excavators in the past and they were made very well and withstood a beating. I believe that Mower King has completely dropped the ball on this compactor. I also discovered that this design of compactor is sold by many china companies who claim that he manufacture the unit, but they don't. I would have taken the compactor back to who I purchased it from but, it has rained here a lot and has delayed one of my jobs for over three months. I have to think about customer service.
I’m very disappointed in Mower Kings engineering department and its management, I sent an email to them, I can’t wait to find out how customer service is managed. No one followed through with testing to see if the product was well designed. Corners were cut to cut cost and improve profits without having the end user in mind. Clearly their engineering team lack proper protocols to check their designs.
Mower King/AGT acknowledged that there are design flaws with this unit. They did not explain what the design flaws were. They minimized they mistake even though they clearly knew the compactor had a major design flaw. MowerKing/AGT then decided to maintain the current path of poor business acumen and leave the compactors on the market. Bottom line, this clearly tells everyone what type of service you will get for Mower King
There is no call or reason for this type of poor workmanship from any company, and then not own a recall.
If you have any questions or would like pictures not see how I correct these poor designs, feel free to call me: Three Oaks Property Management, Florence, Alabama

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Sorry I don't buy the "it don't connect to MY specific machine out of the crate" complaints unless you are buying a Landpride attachment made for your specific Kubota.

Fittings are fittings and there is a lot of variation out there between machines. I find many attachments come sans couplers out of the crate for that very reason.

Metric threads? Your hydraulic shop having issues with Metric? Time to switch shops.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Kubota equipped with an auto hydraulic locking system. How could engineers be this absent minded?

curious.... is this 'auto lock system' a specific Kubota design ? If so I can understand why 'it didn't fit'.
I didn't see anywhere in the manual about Kubtoa autolock use.

as for the hydraulic connections NO manufacturer will supply EVERY possible fitting. That's just not possible. Obviously whatever IS ont he hoses DOES connect to whatever equipment they have for testing
Kinda wondering what you bought for $710, as adapters are available. heck even Princess Auto can supply them and ANY 'hydraulic shop' HAS to be able to....that's part of THEIR business.

as for the hose routing, I'm only going by the pictures in the owner's manual but perhaps a simple loosen,reposition, tightening of the hose ends on the motor might have provided better clearance ?

sorry you've had a few hiccups but that is to be expected. Sounds like this job was a 'rush' job, normally I can prebook rental equipment a month in advance.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Sorry I don't buy the "it don't connect to MY specific machine out of the crate" complaints unless you are buying a Landpride attachment made for your specific Kubota.

Fittings are fittings and there is a lot of variation out there between machines. I find many attachments come sans couplers out of the crate for that very reason.

Metric threads? Your hydraulic shop having issues with Metric? Time to switch shops.
Thanks for the reply and thanks for critiquing the way I purchase goods. You might consider starting a YouTube channel on how to purchase goods. Im sure people would endure your insight . I honestly wasn't asking anyone if they "buy" what I'm saying, I was clearing telling people to beware. Additional problems showed up with he unit, I updated the post for your reading pleasure.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
re: Kubota equipped with an auto hydraulic locking system. How could engineers be this absent minded?

curious.... is this 'auto lock system' a specific Kubota design ? If so I can understand why 'it didn't fit'.

as for the hydraulic connections NO manufacturer will supply EVERY possible fitting. That's just not possible. Obviously whatever IS ont he hoses DOES connect to whatever equipment they have for testing
Kinda wondering what you bought for $710, as adapters are available. heck even Princess Auto can supply them and ANY 'hydraulic shop' HAS to be able to....that's part of THEIR business.

as for the hose routing, I'm only going by the pictures in the owner's manual but perhaps a simple loosen,reposition, tightening of the hose ends on the motor might have provided better clearance ?

sorry you've had a few hiccups but that is to be expected. Sounds like this job was a 'rush' job, normally I can prebook rental equipment a month in advance.
Good simple insight form someone who can't possibly have complete story, which I don't have time to explain. I have purchase many attachments, ALL came with the correct couplings. Before you posted, you should have called Kubota and ask for a price on High flow coupling. please do your DD. In addition, I already explained that it was a rush order to complete a job although, thank for points out again. Someone might have not read that part, the same as you. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Reading what I've read is a cautionary tail on purchasing something that you don't know about and don't know how to inspect for use or fit.
So before you purchase any implement you should know what it should fit, how it should run, and how to inspect it for operation and build before you buy it.
I don't doubt you bought a very poor piece of machinery, but you didn't do yourself any favors buying a machine on the quick without doing proper research, and I bet you didn't get any warrantee with it either.
Cheap poorly made machinery and equipment is a dime a dozen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Thanks for the reply and thanks for critiquing the way I purchase goods. You might consider starting a YouTube channel on how to purchase goods. Im sure people would endure your insight . I honestly wasn't asking anyone if they "buy" what I'm saying, I was clearing telling people to beware. Additional problems showed up with he unit, I updated the post for your reading pleasure.
Good idea. I'll take a dump in my underpants and post a youtube video rant about the lousy underwear manufacturer. I like to hear myself talk so I will ramble on aimlessly for 15 minutes after the 5 minute intro.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: the bearings were dry......

FWIW, the preassemebld MADE in USA utility trailer axles with preinstalled hubs are DRY !! NOT 'road ready', yeah they spin nice but NOT packed with grease !!! Only a thimble full of grease in them,did make a 120 mile roadtrip maxxed out to 4200# one day.....

So it doesn't totally surprise me the roller's were dry.

heck, I'd love to know how B&S ,Honda, etc. test their small engines with NO oil in them before they ship !

I understand 'rush jobs'..my life as a ET at the steel plant was one 'rush job' after another, trying to prioritize who's rush job was rushier..... I've also had to stay up all night hand soldering PC boards for next morning installs so being self employed is STRESSFUL.

Sadly you HAD to buy a product that 'looked good on paper' but in reality it didn't 'work out of the box'. Hopefully the client's job is done, you'll get paid and have a free roller that'll make you money from now on.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
AGT Website says "The old model of this roller has some problem, we are contacting the tech to fix this problem"

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmm.. THAT could explain things ! Bet the dealer doesn't order a lot of them....might have had 'old stock' ?
Wonder if they have 'date codes' or 'timed serial numbers' on the units ? Also the dealer sells LOTS of equipment, might not be an expert on everything he sells. Pretty sure every Kubota sales person KNOWS everything about every product they sell.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Reading what I've read is a cautionary tail on purchasing something that you don't know about and don't know how to inspect for use or fit.
So before you purchase any implement you should know what it should fit, how it should run, and how to inspect it for operation and build before you buy it.
I don't doubt you bought a very poor piece of machinery, but you didn't do yourself any favors buying a machine on the quick without doing proper research, and I bet you didn't get any warrantee with it either.
Cheap poorly made machinery and equipment is a dime a dozen.
My Good Sir,
I have worked in the global economy for many years. So let me see if I understand you correctly. You're stating that a company that wishes to market and compete in machine attachments in a global economy such as Mower King, did not have in their business plan set up to assure that their attachments would fit a world class company such as Kubota? A company that has been in business since 1988. A company that is the worlds largest producer of skid steers (equates to a massive 32.4% of the worlds market share) and of equipment from small to midi size excavators and all sizes of farm tractors, and had held this title for years. A company who have over 1,100 sales facilities across the USA. A company who production has increased 60% in the past 5 years alone. Really? If Mower King didn't assure their attachments fit Kubota, I believe someone missed the first day of International Business 101 in college. Besides, how much more research do I need to do besides asking the dealer if the attachment will fit a 2018 Kubota SVL95-2
My son works for a major manufacture of forestry mulches. When asking about his topic, he noted that their company has the demsensions for every possible piece of equipment that is on the face of the earth. Every week they have equipment manufactures sending the blueprints so they assure that their forestry machines will fit their forestry heads. At this point I will rest my case. Good Day.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
AGT Website says "The old model of this roller has some problem, we are contacting the tech to fix this problem"
Older model? They don't state the problem, they minimize it by stating there is a problem with no explantion. I have call every supplier that I can find within a 450 mile radius that sell this type of vibrator from Mower King and they are all made with the same defect. This is simple as good business acumen, recall all the units that have to poor design., or send folks an engineered fix. geez!

Last edited:

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
re: the bearings were dry......

FWIW, the preassemebld MADE in USA utility trailer axles with preinstalled hubs are DRY !! NOT 'road ready', yeah they spin nice but NOT packed with grease !!! Only a thimble full of grease in them,did make a 120 mile roadtrip maxxed out to 4200# one day.....

So it doesn't totally surprise me the roller's were dry.

heck, I'd love to know how B&S ,Honda, etc. test their small engines with NO oil in them before they ship !

I understand 'rush jobs'..my life as a ET at the steel plant was one 'rush job' after another, trying to prioritize who's rush job was rushier..... I've also had to stay up all night hand soldering PC boards for next morning installs so being self employed is STRESSFUL.

Sadly you HAD to buy a product that 'looked good on paper' but in reality it didn't 'work out of the box'. Hopefully the client's job is done, you'll get paid and have a free roller that'll make you money from now on.
Thanks of your good, logical and honest input. I'm just looking out for the American people. I don't want any other person to go through what I just went through. I spent two full days reengineering this attachment so I could use it on Monday. The dirt business is rough enough, let alone having to deal with poor quality of expensive tools.

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Simple, Recall the older units and fix them

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama

I explained why it wouldn't lock in the original post, please reread. Skid Steer Quick couplings are standard "Low Flow" and "High Flow". Standardization keep the global market competitive. RE Hose routing: you are incorrect. I tried that and tried zip ties. It was a poor design. RE: rush job: Again, please reread the original post before posting comments. "Rushing" I already admitted that I had to rush to provide customer service.
Suggestion: Once a person admits or owns a mistake, you should never shove it in their face. That shows poor character.

Last edited:

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
hmm.. THAT could explain things ! Bet the dealer doesn't order a lot of them....might have had 'old stock' ?
Wonder if they have 'date codes' or 'timed serial numbers' on the units ? Also the dealer sells LOTS of equipment, might not be an expert on everything he sells. Pretty sure every Kubota sales person KNOWS everything about every product they sell.
They clearly knew the compactor had a design flaw. Even though they knew of the design flaw, they decided to maintain the current path of poor business acumen and leave all the defective compactor on the market. Bottom line, this clearly tells the global market what type of service you will get for Mower King/AGT.

Last edited:

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama

Please correct your post! I never said "My specific machine". The couplings are global standardized hydraulic Low Flow and High Flow couplings". key word, "Standardized". Thanks for your reply

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Mower King clearly knew the compactor had a design flaw. Even though they knew of the design flaw, they decided to maintain the current path of poor business acumen and leave the compactor on the market. There is no excuse for the other seven events of poor quality and workmanship. Bottom line, this clearly tells everyone what type of service you will get for Mower King

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama

Please reread my original post. There were no compactors available, the was pressing me to get the pad completed. I was delayed by constant rain.