Bush Hog Blades

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have a Landpride RCR 1860 bush hog. I've never check the blades since I bought it new. Since I'm going to be out of work for a while with my shoulder. I'm thinking of possibley changing the blades or removing and sharpening the blades that are there. Has anyone removed their blades from this type of cutter ? And how much of a PIA are they to remove ?

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Yes, I have the same cutter and have replaced many blades.
You will need:
1-11/16 socket.
10" Extension.
New 1-1/8"-12 Lock Nut for each blade.

The cutter has to be elevated and blocked well for safety.
There is an access hole from the top that the socket goes through.
I use a 1/2" Cordless Impact Wrench.
The nut must be torqued to 450ft. lbs.

Always replace BOTH blades at the same time.

It is much easier if there two people.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Really no need to remove the blades.
You can sharpen them in place by raising it up, put safety blocking under it and use any angle grinder to sharpen.
Sometimes the end justifies the means. It can be a real bear to remove blades.
Your call, but what ever you do, be very careful.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
The big problem with grinding the blades in place is that you can't weigh the blades to insure that they are within 1-1/2 Oz of each other. Any more than that and LP says it can tear up your gearbox.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Since I'm going to be out of work for a while with my shoulder. I'm thinking of possibley changing the blades or removing and sharpening the blades that are there.
OK lets get real here, If you have shoulder work done, you shouldn't be working on changing blades! :eek:
I think your doctor would agree with me! ;)

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
LOL....Wolfman. I own a welding shop on my property right near my home. I have one guy that works full time for me. He'll be here 40 hrs a week to work and help me as needed. He really doesn't care what he does as long as he gets paid. And changing blades might be part of it.(and a lot of other chores)
I certainly appreciate all the replies.
Any particular places you order your blades from ? Or just the local dealer ?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Start now with penetrating spray like PB blaster, kroil
Makes it easier to get them loose

There will be some numbers stamped into the blade. Call the vendor and they will give you the part number of that blade. Search on line for that part number.

I got mine through a on line vendor for half of what a dealer wanted. They came directly from the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
If you're going to remove the blades I recommend a 50/50 blend of acetone and atf as a rust buster. Apply liberally for several days before putting the wrench to it.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
On my old not land pride there was no hole to access the nut. So i measured and made a hole. Big impact wouldnt move it. After all it was at least 30 years old and likely never had blades off from the looks of them. Had to heat nuts before they would move.To add, I like the smell of burning grass.
Went for a ride to nearest farm supply and they had a new set on hand. Used loctite on old nuts and it was fine until i gave it away.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Again great advise. My cutter is 4 yrs old, I do have some rocks in the field I mow. It used to be complete forest back in '95 when I had it logged and cleared and stumped. Before I had my Kubota I used to hire it mowed. That guy would mow and have a helper toss rocks into his bucket. So a lot of rocks were picked before I got my tractor. But. I've hit a lot in the last 4 yrs. Ledge that sticks up 3-4" above the ground that you mow over and try not to hit is in a lot of places here. I don't have a backhoe and have used my bucket to dug and remove a lot of rocks/boulders but still I can never be rock free here.
Since mine is newer I do know it has a rubber plug I think to access the blades. As soon as the snow recedes more and I can get to my equipment shed I'll get the bush hog out and go at it with the PB blaster. I'll check my owners manual for blade #'s or part #'s and see what I can find online.
In Maine, we are blessed with rocks.

outpost22

Equipment
L3800, RTV500
Feb 20, 2017
Eagle Point, Oregon, USA
I was going to replace my Landpride brush hog blades until the "450 ft. lb" issue raised its ugly head. I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high and don't have a torque multiplier. How does one torque the blades properly?

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I was looking at German-Bliss , they have LandPride replacement parts. The 1860 blades it looks like are $45. bucks each.
Has anyone ever bought from the company ?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I was going to replace my Landpride brush hog blades until the "450 ft. lb" issue raised its ugly head. I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high and don't have a torque multiplier. How does one torque the blades properly?
Same way you get them off except the other way. My impact tops at 450.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
This is a cordless inpact driver I bought last year to use on my press break to tighten and loosen the tooling bolts.
It says 650 lbs of torque , so if I just tighten the crap out of it with this. I should be at 450 lbs that LandPride says the nuts should be at ? right.
If anyone needs a nice driver, this one has a five year warranty and three yrs on the battery. I've bought a couple things from Lowes with warranty's like there auto darking welding helment with three yrs warranty, the head strap would break after a year, replaced the helmet many times until they changed the design to not break.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-Volt-Max-Volt-1-2-in-Drive-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-1/1000061641

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I know Tractor Supply carries brush mower blades. Don't know what they fit.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I've never worked on a Land Pride but this can be useful for any rotary cutter.
The first time removing the blades it may just be easier to cut the bolts off and buy new ones. Also, I find it much easier to remove the blades, place them in a vise, and sharpen with an angle grinder than to try to sharpen in place.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Bumping an old thread. Last year I tried very unsuccessfully to remove the blades on my LP RCR1242 brush hog. Whaling on them with 1/2" drive impact gun, and even trying cheater bars got me nowhere. I don't have a pneumatic set up so that was out. This year I took a crack at it with 3/4" drive torque multiplier and it worked! Was so easy.

When I put them back on, I dont think im going to get near the amount they were torqued to for installation, I will just crank them down with my 20v impact gun and hope thats good enough I suppose?

They arent in too bad shape, I will sharpen them and weigh them to match.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Really no need to remove the blades.
You can sharpen them in place by raising it up, put safety blocking under it and use any angle grinder to sharpen.
Sometimes the end justifies the means. It can be a real bear to remove blades.
Your call, but what ever you do, be very careful.
That's how I've been doing it on multiple mowers for 40+ years.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a Landpride RCR 1860 bush hog. I've never check the blades since I bought it new. Since I'm going to be out of work for a while with my shoulder. I'm thinking of possibley changing the blades or removing and sharpening the blades that are there. Has anyone removed their blades from this type of cutter ? And how much of a PIA are they to remove ?
Be advised that most (all?) manufacturers of rough cut rotary cutters specify that the blade bolts be replaced every time that the blades are replaced.

FWIW: Each time that I buy a new mower, I remove the blade bolts and apply liberal amounts of anti seize before first use. Of course, one would also apply anti seize upon blade/bolt replacement.

SDT

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Most people don't use a torque wrench. You'll need a cheater pipe that will hold the 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar and you torque it as tight as you can. Then you get a guy who wears a size 50 jacket to handle it. My cutter has a tack weld on the bolt in place of Loctite! It will be fun to replace it.