bush hog 121-09 rear blade

JD55

Equipment
forks, hay spear, cutditioner, hay rake, square baler, 6-foot mower, blade, bho
Aug 14, 2013
Bellefonte, Pa. 16823
Hello,

Wanted anybody to comment. After twenty years of operating a ford 2610, and after observing discussions and talking with my regular dealership and equipment supplier. (They just switched to Kubota.) I purchased a left over M5140 shuttle shift tractor. I maintain about 2 miles of stone road in my campground. I think I paid around 24,000 something for tractor and just had a chance to pick up a bush hog 121-09 hydraulic blade, (tilt and angle) It has the option of a third offset cylinder for extending the blade to the left or right about 35 inches. It feels good on the tractor and makes a nice ballast for the FEL. Oh and it came with shoes for winter snow. The weight is well below the capacity of the three point hitch. It does have cat 2 and cat 3 adaptability. The dealer assures me the tractor is capable of handling this set up. Does anyone on this board feel differently. Any comments or advicw will be appreciated.

pdf121 - 176 Series Rear Mounted Blades

My first tractor was an old Minnie Moline and the next tractor was an L275 4wd. 60 is coming shortly, so I have been around the ring a little bit. I love the blade but in the back of my mind I can't help wondering if this is to much.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I don't believe you will have any sort of problem with that. With a 9' blade you probably will not need the offset. I built a gauge wheel for my 35 year old Rhino blade, - quite similar to the one shown in their brochure, and wouldn't want to be without it. It lets the blade behave like a road grader between the hitch arms and gauge wheel, terrific for maintaining a long driveway. You should have the weight and traction to pull it - I think you are good to go!

JD55

Equipment
Aug 14, 2013
Bellefonte, Pa. 16823
Thank you, I thought I would be and you were correct. thanks for your reply and I will be thinking about the gauge wheel. After these rains I am sure I will be getting to use it again. Had to switch to the backhoe and dig up and replace a curb stop yesterday. No it's time to ut the blade back on. Once again thanks for your reply,

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Welcome to the Orange club! We'd love to see a few pictures of that tractor and blade!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is one tough blade! Not overkill, I've found that a heavy blade does so much better than light blades especial on anything rocky!

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
The weight is about right, but I seriously doubt that you will be able to make full use of that 9' blade. An 8' blade would be much better for your machine IMO. I believe that you have a situation of the tail waging the dog. Don't get me wrong, the blade will work, but your machine simply does not have the capability to take advantage of the full working potential of that particular implement.

I have a 75hp, 12,000lb machine that I run a similar Land Pride blade with. An RBT45108 While this blade is a pretty good match for my tractor, I cannot even imagine using it on a tractor that weighs less than 10,000lbs.:eek:

You would constantly be fighting to keep the tractor going where you want it to go. If you have the blade, make the best of it, if you can get an 8 footer in place of the 9', then that would be the route that I would go.

Good luck with your new equipment, all good equipment to have, that's for sure. ;)

Attachments

JD55

Equipment
Aug 14, 2013
Bellefonte, Pa. 16823
Okay, here's the thing, in a perfect world I more than likely would have gone with a three way blade 8 foot long, and added the third remote. But this blade came up and it friggin looks like new, and was only 2500 dollars, so I told the guy to bring it over and I would try it for a couple days. I had to be patient and learn the vagaries of the controls and jump on the learning curve. I don't think I could load up the blades as in your pics, but for on these previously graded roads and lanes I have, it certainly cleans things up quicker than my old six foot manual blade (Kewaneer?50's vintage, unloaded for scrap value) did. My situation is on a sloping mountain bottom, and with the torrential rains of the last few years, I needed something to speed up the process of road repair, at a price I could afford. I think this will work well though I agree a little more weight and steadiness would be preferable, My equipment is used for a variety of tasks like pulling hayrides, making hay, hauling timber, etc. This is by no means an attempt repudiate your claims. I do agree with you; over the last few weeks I have been learning the limits of aggressiveness I can pursue with this new implement. All in all, right now I am happy with the versatility of the blade, and look forward to using it.

Thanks everyone for the replies, greatly appreciated, I am looking forward to exploring the wealth of knowledge on this board. And as soon as I figure this picture thing out I will post some pics.

JD not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you don't already have it done I would fluid fill all 4 tires. That will add traction and give you better stability as well.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Okay, here's the thing, in a perfect world I more than likely would have gone with a three way blade 8 foot long, and added the third remote. But this blade came up and it friggin looks like new, and was only 2500 dollars, so I told the guy to bring it over and I would try it for a couple days. I had to be patient and learn the vagaries of the controls and jump on the learning curve. I don't think I could load up the blades as in your pics, but for on these previously graded roads and lanes I have, it certainly cleans things up quicker than my old six foot manual blade (Kewaneer?50's vintage, unloaded for scrap value) did. My situation is on a sloping mountain bottom, and with the torrential rains of the last few years, I needed something to speed up the process of road repair, at a price I could afford. I think this will work well though I agree a little more weight and steadiness would be preferable, My equipment is used for a variety of tasks like pulling hayrides, making hay, hauling timber, etc. This is by no means an attempt repudiate your claims. I do agree with you; over the last few weeks I have been learning the limits of aggressiveness I can pursue with this new implement. All in all, right now I am happy with the versatility of the blade, and look forward to using it.

Thanks everyone for the replies, greatly appreciated, I am looking forward to exploring the wealth of knowledge on this board. And as soon as I figure this picture thing out I will post some pics.

JD not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Bulldog
Re: bush hog 121-09 rear blade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't already have it done I would fluid fill all 4 tires. That will add traction and give you better stability as well.
I agree 100% with this. I have done this with 2 of my tractors and it makes a day and night difference. :)

As far as the 9' blade vs an 8', with the conditions that you acquired the 9 footer, that is a very good deal. I did not know if you were buying from the dealer, or what the circumstances were, if there were any other choices to be had???

I'm sure that it will work fine for you. Just would have hated to see you pay full price for something that you would not be able to use to it's full potential.

I know of a guy that got a smoking deal on a Land Pride RBT55120. Has every option that LP has for the blade. The guy only has an M7040. That blade is waaaaaaaaaaay to big for his machine, but he gets by just fine for what he needs to get done.

I'm sure that you will too. ;)