Burst seal on hydraulic ram

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Hi guys,
I burst a seal on one of the curl rams on the loader today. It's still on the tractor. Is there anything to look out for when fitting the new seals? Is there any problem taking the loader off the tractor if I need to use it? It is an LA650A loader.
Thanks

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
The main thing to watch is the orientation of the seals. Be sure to pay attention to how they come out. There will be a lip on the seals that must face toward pressure. The O rings go either way. If you have trouble installing the smaller internal seal, put it in boiling water and heat it some. That will make it more pliable and easier to install. Be sure not to damage anything with sharp tools. Be liberal with oil when putting it all back together. It isn't a hard job. Once you have done a time or two it's even easier. You should have instructions for removing the loader in your owners manual. That usually only takes a few minutes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes on that model it's going to be tricky to remove the loader because the roll is what's needed to get the arms up to get the parking stand under it.

Even with the ram removed, you can use a strap to hold the bucket rolled back and use the tractor.
Just don't hit the loader control for the roll. :D
You might be able to loop a hose back between the two hard lines to temporarily close it up, you'll still need a strap to hold the bucket rolled back.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Yes on that model it's going to be tricky to remove the loader because the roll is what's needed to get the arms up to get the parking stand under it.

Even with the ram removed, you can use a strap to hold the bucket rolled back and use the tractor.
Just don't hit the loader control for the roll. :D
You might be able to loop a hose back between the two hard lines to temporarily close it up, you'll still need a strap to hold the bucket rolled back.
Great idea with the strap. I will be able to take off the loader and strap it up. There will be a bit of spillage but that can't be helped. Then prop everything including the part that bolts onto the front bumper.
I may not have to. It depends how long before I get the seal kit.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
So there I was, all set to install the new seal kit from the local kubota place. But it looks noting like what is coming out of the ram.

20180603_112237.jpg 20180603_112119.jpg 20180603_121105.jpg

Is it the correct kit? One of the seals seems to be metal
The first picture shows the difference in thickness. The golden coloured one and the green one are the old seals and appear much thicker

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks like it might be the right kit they just changed some of the seals.
Like the Cream colored seal in the original is probably the cream and green seal in the kit.

If you can, give me pictures of the cylinders, out of the three different kits available for those cylinders the inlets and ends are different on every one of the three, so I should be able to tell you which kit will work. ;)

Last edited:

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
looks like it might be the right kit they just changed some of the seals.
Like the cream colored seal in the original is probably the cream and green seal in the kit.

If you can, give me pictures of the cylinders, out of the three different kits available for those cylinders the inlets and ends are different on every one of the three, so i should be able to tell you which kit will work. ;)
20180604_120252.jpg

20180604_132739.jpg

20180604_120325.jpg

The 2 green seals are hard with a slit in them. There is one at the top of the pic with a metal surround and a groove in the rubber underneath.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok it's possible that you have the wrong kit based on # of seals in the other kit.

The Kit I think it should be is P/N 75554-63400

Is there a model/serial 3 tag on the loader?

On key difference between the 2 is there is no small O-ring between the end of the rod and the piston, so if yours does not have that O-ring that kind of proves it.

P/N 75554-63400 seals

P/N 75554-64600 seals

Attachments

Last edited:

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I think you have solved it. There was no small O-ring on mine. I just assumed the last fitter had left it out.
There is a serial number, which I gave them, but the tractor is 3 miles away at the moment.
Lucky I didn't try forcing anything on at €60 a set.
Thank you.
Probably have to wait a week for the part to come in again. At least this time I can give them a part number.
Thanks again

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Thank You North Idaho Wolfman.
Your suggestion of the other seal kit was spot on.
Job done.
And yes, that internal seal is pretty darn tricky.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Further quick question on this. Finally got around to changing the other 3 seal kits but can't for the life of me remember which way the inner seal with the lip goes. Is it towards the threaded part or the outer side. Thanks