Build Thread: A heated cab from scratch

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Researching to build a cab and would like to see your build, but all the original pictures appear to be gone. Is this an issue with my browser, or are they really gone? If so, any chance you could repost them?
The pics are no longer in the same place on his Photobucket (or no longer shared orr?) so the links do not work. Either he moved them or Photobucket did. Hence the reason why it is best to upload pics into the bulletin board and NOT onto a pic hosting site. GREAT threads become worthless when the pics no longer exist.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Researching to build a cab and would like to see your build, but all the original pictures appear to be gone. Is this an issue with my browser, or are they really gone? If so, any chance you could repost them?
Sorry, that was my fault. I reorganized my pictures in photobucket so the links went dead. I just went back through this whole thread and corrected all the links. Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future!

I also wanted to follow-up with the kicker I added to my 3pt blade. Got to use it today and it does made a big difference. I'm able to take a bigger bite (about 12" more with each pass) with the blade angled before it starts to over run the wing I welded on. I'm calling it a good modification if you only use your blade for snow. I'm not sure it would help with grading dirt but I can't see it hurting that either.

It held up well with no signs of bending. I even backed it into a retaining wall by mistake :eek: and that didn't seem to faze it.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
...my fault. I reorganized my pictures in Photobucket so the links went dead. I just went back through this whole thread and corrected all the links. Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future! ......
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this..... BUTTTT..... Please upload to this board in each post the matching pics . It is a guarantee Photobucket images will someday go dead. (when you go to heaven; they not long later go.... into never to be seen again land) Maybe tomorrow (hope not) maybe 15 years from now but IT WILL HAPPEN.

On technical Boards, no one should EVER use a pic hosting site as primary image viewing. EVER!!! Allways upload to the board. Use pic hosting sites for backups and temporary posting purposes. Temp. posting such as for posting and/or sending to a member larger images than uploads on boards allow. Also for family-n-friends across the world so they can easily view recent events; weddings, births, funny ha ha's that happened on the way to the bathroom etc etc.

Last edited:

Quarencia

Equipment
BX2230 loader, mower, snowblower, box blade, spreader
Mar 14, 2015
Granby, CT
Thanks for taking the time to relink all the pics. I'm sure many will appreciate it. Looked thru this several times and think it's an awesome job. Don't think I could do this good. Also love the discussion on foam filled ROPS. That might deserve a separate thread of its own. I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Do you have pics of how you fab'd the door handles/latches? Without seeing the details, it looks like you have one latch point holding the door closed. Do you see any warping/flexing/vibrating in the door at the bottom or top with single latch point in the middle? I've been looking at some triple point paddle latches and trying to decide if the money is warranted.

2. Do you have any feedback on how happy you are having to refuel inside the cab? Do you have to be extra careful not to soak the seat or soundproofing? If you had it to do over again, would it be worth building a notch around fuel fill similar to your top link notch so you could fuel from outside?

3. How has the resin soaked undelayment held up to weather? Also, did you put any cross bracing on this to minimize its behavior as a vibration amplifier?

Thanks and hope you don't mind the questions on this old post.

Ugly

Equipment
BX22 with Fel and grapple,deck,front blower,backhoe, push blade, sweeper, plow
Dec 28, 2015
Elysian, MN
Just curious where you got your heater from and where on the motor you hooked up the coolant lines to. Looks like a nice job!!! Thanks Aaron
Ps: I own a BX22 and need a cab up in Minnesota, first winter with the tractor.

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
I can comment on number 2 from my perspective on my 2370. Fuelling inside cab is awkward for my old sore back. I came across something called a pocket pump from pocketpump.ca. It looks cheap and feels cheap but it works really well for my residential use. Not suitable for grown up serious use but solved my complaining.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
.................I came across something called a pocket pump from pocketpump.ca. It looks cheap and feels cheap but it works really well for my residential use. Not suitable for grown up serious use but solved my complaining.
Thanks for posting that! I searched for that pump and here in the US it looks like Northern Tool has the same or very similar pump. At $19 + shipping ($25.31) it looked like it was worth a try. I'm not getting old or anything :) but at 66 it might make sense to stop clambering up on a wet/muddy/snow-covered front tire with 5 gallon jugs of diesel.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I do have a few questions if you don't mind. No Problem!

1. Do you have pics of how you fab'd the door handles/latches? Without seeing the details, it looks like you have one latch point holding the door closed. Do you see any warping/flexing/vibrating in the door at the bottom or top with single latch point in the middle? I've been looking at some triple point paddle latches and trying to decide if the money is warranted. I don't have any pics easily accessible at the moment and they are not the best setup in the world to use as a model. I ended up buying two basic u shaped cabinet handles. I welded a stud on one of the u points. That stud goes through the door to the middle of a piece of 1"x1/8" bar stock that I grinded down and smoothed out to a handle. When you turn the outside handle the inside handle either catches the door casing or releases it. Again, it's a bit hacky but it does work reliably.

2. Do you have any feedback on how happy you are having to refuel inside the cab? Do you have to be extra careful not to soak the seat or soundproofing? If you had it to do over again, would it be worth building a notch around fuel fill similar to your top link notch so you could fuel from outside? That has not been a problem at all. The main reason is if you look at my door setup, the hinged portion is very far back making for a long door. It kicks back beyond where the bottom portion of the door is. I did that for easy fueling and super easy access to climb in/out. Its back so far that when the door is swung open I have no problem filling the tank from the outside as if the cab isn't even there. You can see below, the door cuts back to where the fuel fill is. The bottom crossmember is only a touch higher then the factory handrail is. I fill with your typical 5 gallon can and I rest it on the crossmember while filling. Works out great.

3. How has the resin soaked undelayment held up to weather? Also, did you put any cross bracing on this to minimize its behavior as a vibration amplifier?
As far as how its holding up I'd say not bad but not great either. I will most likely get about 5 years out of it if I had to guess. When I do need to replace it I think I'll go with the cheap stand up shower plastic wall material you can get at home depot. Regarding sound, I do have one 3/4" x 1/2" steel crossmember midway on the roof for support and to eliminate resonance. It works as expected, no noise at all from the roof.

Thanks and hope you don't mind the questions on this old post.No problem. When I get a chance I'll take some shots of my hinge/latch setup but I'm not that proud of it!

Just curious where you got your heater from and where on the motor you hooked up the coolant lines to. Looks like a nice job!!! Thanks Aaron
I got my heater from Summit Racing, basic three speed. I really just looked for the physically smallest unit I could find. Worked out that this was cheap too (bout $100?) On page two I posted a diagram on the coolant line hookup

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Ok, I found YOUR cab build thread, but the pictures are all gone (again, apparently!) Any chance of fixing them?

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Photobucket is "down for maintenance" today. Even if you go directly to their site you'll see the message. The pic's will come up as soon as the site comes back up which should be soon.

I'm trying not to use the OTT server because 1) It's a pain to go back through 2) resolution of photobucket is much better for showing technical photos.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
A whole day for maintenance on a hosting site??? That sounds more like they've been hacked, or attacked.

(I host my own images on my own server. That way I'm in control of them)

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Yea, something is up. Supposedly something wen't wrong with a scheduled update and the whole thing crashed. They are getting lampooned on their facebook page right now.

They use to be great but lately it's one issue after another.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Photobucket is apparently back up and running. Your build looks great!

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I just wish i could see the pictures in here...
linking to another website for photos is ridiculous... especially when they dont download.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Photobucket is now holding peoples pictures for ransom -- users must now pay $400 a year for the privilege of embedding photos in other sites.

For $100 a year, one could open an account with a shared hosting service such as Dreamhost and have control over their own images, plus a whole lot more. Just sayin'...

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Photobucket is now holding peoples pictures for ransom -- users must now pay $400 a year for the privilege of embedding photos in other sites.

For $100 a year, one could open an account with a shared hosting service such as Dreamhost and have control over their own images, plus a whole lot more. Just sayin'...
It dosent cost me anything to store pictures on my computor... just sayin` :D

And i put my pictures on a cd or thumb stick for later use too... just sayin` again :D