Brush Management NRCS Grant work

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Last year I contracted with NRCS to receive grant money for some land clearing/brush management.
I have to have 17 acres done this year and additional 7 acres completed by next Spring.

Other areas that I completed can be located on my YT channel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Are you replanting anything?

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Funny, I was just talking to someone about YouTubers who drive away a good chunk of their audience because they put the 'music' they like as soundtrack, instead of considering their audience.

They might even get a few positive comments on the 'music', and take that as proof they are doing the right thing, but never recognize how many people are just closing the window after a few seconds, and never come back.

Reactions: 2 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Are you replanting anything?
Yes sir, I plan doing a mixture of some native grasses and improved grasses, with the ongoing drought its a crap shoot, light disc/seeding in late March. The area cleared in the video will be left very rough, not leveled for a couple weeks. This helps the soil to catch native seeds, and it holds more moisture in those rough areas/pockets.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Funny, I was just talking to someone about YouTubers who drive away a good chunk of their audience because they put the 'music' they like as soundtrack, instead of considering their audience.

They might even get a few positive comments on the 'music', and take that as proof they are doing the right thing, but never recognize how many people are just closing the window after a few seconds, and never come back.
Well most of the copyright free music sucks, there is always a mute button lol.

There is NOT a one size fit ALL approach when it comes to 'their audience " and "knowing everyone's music genre".

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
i assume that is mesquite you are ripping out. If so will it be killed off that way?

I have some mesquite on my property and have just used a trencher to get as much of the tap root out as possible. I had rented the trencher for water line trenching and had spare time to “play” with it.

I am on river bottom land so trencher was like a knife through butter on most of the property.

please explain type of tree and what exactly you’re doing to eradicate them (what does that implement do?)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA

Yup. I'd have watched a lot more than 15 seconds if the sound track was simply the sound of the equipment.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
i assume that is mesquite you are ripping out. If so will it be killed off that way?

I have some mesquite on my property and have just used a trencher to get as much of the tap root out as possible. I had rented the trencher for water line trenching and had spare time to “play” with it.

I am on river bottom land so trencher was like a knife through butter on most of the property.

please explain type of tree and what exactly you’re doing to eradicate them (what does that implement do?)
Yes, it's mostly, Mesquites and huisache trees/brush being ripped out, the forked attachment digs into soil below grade and grabs the trees/brush by the roots. It's called grubbing, and an appoved method by USDA. Well over a 95% kill rate, if sprouts do appear, herbicide application in the Spring.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Last year I contracted with NRCS to receive grant money for some land clearing/brush management.
I have to have 17 acres done this year and additional 7 acres completed by next Spring.

This video covers about half an acre that I cleared this past Saturday and probably less than 2.5 equipment hours.

Other areas that I completed can be located on my YT channel.
Man....what a difference. You operate that skid steer well. Good job.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Nice! I saw that you piled it all up towards the back corner relative to the camera, do you have to haul it out of there or can you just burn it all there?

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Nice! I saw that you piled it all up towards the back corner relative to the camera, do you have to haul it out of there or can you just burn it all there?
Thanks!
I burn in place, but were currently in a burn ban. Sometimes I have friends come down this way and cut mesquite out of the burn piles for their bbq wood.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I’m have an EQIP with the NRCS to clear 30 acres of trees from my property. They want me to cut & treat the stumps to keep the soil intact. I’ve been at it for 2 years. Went thru a chainsaw & put some age on 2 others.
I like your way better. You have a very nice touch on the “grubber”. Thanks for the video.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I’m have an EQIP with the NRCS to clear 30 acres of trees from my property. They want me to cut & treat the stumps to keep the soil intact. I’ve been at it for 2 years. Went thru a chainsaw & put some age on 2 others.
I like your way better. You have a very nice touch on the “grubber”. Thanks for the video.
Look up tree shears and invest in a good brush cutter (for the brush and scrub)

I think your tractor is big enough to power the shears that will be able to get through the smaller trees faster than the chainsaw.

the brush cutter will get through the woody weeds and up to an inch to inch and a half size saplings

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS

I think your tractor is big enough to power the shears that will be able to get through the smaller trees faster than the chainsaw.

the brush cutter will get through the woody weeds and up to an inch to inch and a half size saplings
[/QUOT

I have a bush hog & use it on the thickets. I don’t like the condition of the stump from shears. The ones I’ve seen look like they would damage a tire & I do drive around my pasture when the grass is knee deep or more.
I bought a grapple which helped a bunch. I also harvest some wood while felling trees. I have a saw in hand & cut out the nice chunks to be processed later for btu’s.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thats w lot of work, but wouldnt one of those forsety munchers work better, mulch every thing before you pant?

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Thats w lot of work, but wouldnt one of those forsety munchers work better, mulch every thing before you pant?
I have seen some machines on TV & the net that would make really short work of my trees. But, I don’t have one. I had guy stop by & want to clean out the pasture (using skid steer & rotary saw), for about twice what the NRCS is paying.
You are right, it was a lot of work. I’m almost done. I learned some things about my pasture. I found some small Oak trees (only ones on the property) and an old foundation with some hollow places that could contain pirate treasure or be home to an armadillo. Not sure how many pirates roamed KS.
I’m not going to say it was fun, but I didn’t mind doing it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I picked up a tree sheer and adapted it to work on my tractor. It clips a tree up to 6-8" like it isn't there. If it's set on the ground there is no stobb protruding to damage tires. It's mfgd by Precision Industries, Sedalia, Mo.

I mounted it on a QT plate. I'm also in the process of building a couple of brackets to fit over the cutting edge so I can clamp down on small growths and pull them out of the ground so no spraying is required.

Attachments

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I picked up a tree sheer and adapted it to work on my tractor. It clips a tree up to 6-8" like it isn't there. If it's set on the ground there is no stobb protruding to damage tires. It's mfgd by Precision Industries, Sedalia, Mo.

I mounted it on a QT plate. I'm also in the process of building a couple of brackets to fit over the cutting edge so I can clamp down on small growths and pull them out of the ground so no spraying is required.
That shear looks very interesting & really stout. I am a skeptic tho, would you care to demonstrate it about 80-100 times next weekend (I’ll supply the trees). 😁