Brush Grubber Attach to L2501 BH77

DanimalStyle

Equipment
L2501
Mar 14, 2023
Columbia, MO
Looking for some knowledge from the experienced folk.
We just got a L2501 with a BH77 backhoe a few weeks ago and I want to start pulling small diameter trees out with a Brush Grubber.
Where can I attach a chain to the back hoe, safely?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I tend to hook on the side of the bucket

Try not to eat hook when your chain slips

I find my hydraulic thumb is way more useful than trying to use chains on roots

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Looking for some knowledge from the experienced folk.
We just got a L2501 with a BH77 backhoe a few weeks ago and I want to start pulling small diameter trees out with a Brush Grubber.
Where can I attach a chain to the back hoe, safely?
I've tried 2 Brush Grubber products without much success. The first I forgot the name of, but it was made to attach with an adapter to the loader bucket. I bolted it to the back of the backhoe bucket so I could curl the bucket to grab the stem and then pull it out. Since I couldn't see the jaw, it took some 'feeling' to grab the tree. Then, the bucket curl was capable of breaking the tree. Eventually, I bent the thing and broke the bolts before abandoning that method. The other issue using the backhoe is you have to reposition the tractor so often, which is inconvenient.

Then I bought a heavy duty BrushGrubber to use instead of wrapping a chain around the trees. It was hard to place so that it wouldn't slip off, so I went back to wrapping the chain. I posted about that on here.

Depending on the tree and ground condition, on small trees (~1-2") you can ease the loader edge under them and curl the bucket to pop them out. I use my straight edge, but a saw-tooth edge would work better.
For larger trees, up to 4 or 5", I wrap a chain around it and hook it to the loader's SSQA plate and pull it. You might do a similar thing with the hoe.

If you search on here with 'grubber', you'll find considerable experience.

Edit: Pulling Trees

Last edited:

DanimalStyle

Equipment
L2501
Mar 14, 2023
Columbia, MO
Gents,

thanks for all the input. Digging a bit deeper. When y’all mention using the back hoe teeth, is that in regards to using the backhoe itself or hooking to the teeth and pulling with the tractor. My honest plan is to use the torque of the engine. Would hooking to the backhoe teeth be dangerous for the life if the equipment? My biggest thing is pulling on the hydraulics when it’s not intended for that use

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
Why not just use your backhoe to remove the trees?
That’s what backhoes are for.

Backhoes are better at digging than lifting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
It is a fixed thumb that came with it…I figured out very fast that the hydraulic was the way to go So I removed the fixed part and added the ram. And no, the hanging hydraulic lines are not an issue. I was just careful to mount them so they wouldn’t pinch. Had it that way 10 years now and no issues.
E714761C-30A0-4511-A6B9-CA0E622F1FBA.jpeg
5520A74A-89FC-4EB7-B51A-77C9A3929837.jpeg
6A784DA4-4F18-4E55-9CDC-2D4CD2A413FF.jpeg
1C4C6260-EEB1-4EDA-ACC3-9282865D44E6.jpeg

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Thanks. I see you're using one of your rear remotes to control it.
I actually had it that way in the photos originally and changed it to this a year or so ago…no real function difference, just easier to reach.
7044CA39-E8AE-4686-94CF-7E4BE1E8A86D.jpeg

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Similar to post #4. Works great. Wish I'd've known about this 60 years ago when I was a kid double wrapping chain around small saplings so dad could pull them out with the L175. There were a lot of them.

Attachments

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Gents,

thanks for all the input. Digging a bit deeper. When y’all mention using the back hoe teeth, is that in regards to using the backhoe itself or hooking to the teeth and pulling with the tractor. My honest plan is to use the torque of the engine. Would hooking to the backhoe teeth be dangerous for the life if the equipment? My biggest thing is pulling on the hydraulics when it’s not intended for that use
Good reason for concern. Pulling with the tractor tires on the backhoe is never advised. Pressure from the hydraulics can cause damage like leaky valves.