Broken L3301 Tie-rod

Bakerman

Equipment
L3301D
Aug 11, 2021
Tallahassee
I bought an L3301 to clear my newly purchased 10 acres myself. I have never owned either acreage, or a tractor, but I am enjoying every minute of the 95degrees blood,sweat, and now tears. I broke the right side tie-rod (maybe tried to do a 'little too much'. I am mechanically adept but very well aware that this is a new kind of beast for me. Is this something that's pretty straightforward to replace, or should I go straight to a dealer?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Curious as to how you broke it? Those tie rods were one of the reasons I didn’t go with the L01. I just knew I’d bend or break one of those!

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Can’t advise how to fix but when I have my cutter on the back, I’ll keep the FEL bucket low when going forward, and if in an area that I haven’t cut before, I’ll back it in with the cutter up high until I’m feeling the love.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I bought an L3301 to clear my newly purchased 10 acres myself. I have never owned either acreage, or a tractor, but I am enjoying every minute of the 95degrees blood,sweat, and now tears. I broke the right side tie-rod (maybe tried to do a 'little too much'. I am mechanically adept but very well aware that this is a new kind of beast for me. Is this something that's pretty straightforward to replace, or should I go straight to a dealer?
If you have the Kubota insurance it may be covered by the warranty.

Bakerman

Equipment
L3301D
Aug 11, 2021
Tallahassee
Curious as to how you broke it? Those tie rods were one of the reasons I didn’t go with the L01. I just knew I’d bend or break one of those!
I was picking up trees I had cut. Some I carried and some I dragged in reverse. I think I hit a stump at some point because I didnt realize it was broken until trying to move carrying a small piece. And unfortunately no, I dont have insurance.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I was picking up trees I had cut. Some I carried and some I dragged in reverse. I think I hit a stump at some point because I didnt realize it was broken until trying to move carrying a small piece. And unfortunately no, I dont have insurance.
Gotcha. Should be easy enough to replace. You can look on messicks or Kubota site for part number and breakdown.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Owners Manual has the specs to properly align the front wheels. Looks fairly easy.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Check out the mods section - I took a hard look at this after getting hung up on a "rock beach ball" One guy there posted a slick homemade bumper "guard" that fits in with the loader. In his case there was a stock grey painted guard that wasn't present.

It was on mine but his mod will take care of any doubt if serious about clearing (most of what I have been doing since I got my L2501...)

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Can’t advise how to fix but when I have my cutter on the back, I’ll keep the FEL bucket low when going forward, and if in an area that I haven’t cut before, I’ll back it in with the cutter up high until I’m feeling the love.
And leave the cutting edge curled up when mowing so you will climb up on whatever it is giving you time to stop gracefully. It only took one blind full stop on a stump to always remember to do that.

bucket-up-little-buddy.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Bakerman

Equipment
L3301D
Aug 11, 2021
Tallahassee
And leave the cutting edge curled up when mowing so you will climb up on whatever it is giving you time to stop gracefully. It only took one blind full stop on a stump to always remember to do that.

View attachment 64435
Thank you guys for this info. since I replaced the tie rod I have done this & its saved my a** more than once! Sorry I didn't respond sooner - but I had to go back to work(ugh) after being off,

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
welcome to homesteading.

Ain't nothing easy, if it is, it ain't worth doing.

R&R of the tie rod is easy. Hammer and some sockets and a plier to get the cotter keys oft.