Broken Brush Hog Drive Line U-Joint

sstrac

Equipment
M9000 Tractor, JBar 7' Rotary Cutter
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
Well, last night I heard a ruckus while mowing a field and the drive line had come loose and was spinning off to the side. Horrible loud as it banged against everything around the lifts. Got down to check it out and it appears that the large pin that attaches to the ujoint knuckle has broken. Is this a diy fix? Can someone point me in the right direction on how to fix this and where to get the correct part(s)? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If it was me I'd check for a local driveline shop. Unless it's something really off the wall they'll probably have everything needed to put it back together or build you a new one.

That will be the cheapest way out. New drivelines are expensive from the dealer.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
Looks to me like All you need is a u-joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
looks like the cross in the U-joint failed. The knuckles look pretty heavy duty so if they aren't damaged, you just need to get a new cross/bearing assembly and install it. Don't forget to phase the joints correctly when you re-install the shaft.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
NAPA should be able to get you the correct universal joint if you take in the yokes to measure them. It can be done by a home mechanic but a drive line shop will be able to do it easily and has the correct tools

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Need to see the ends of the cross on both shafts to tell you if you can do it or if it would be best to take it to a drive line shop.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The replacement of the U joint is something a mechanic or owner of an older rear drive car or truck can easily do. It is the same type as in a drive shaft for a rear drive.

You need to be aware of the design life of these joints which can be quite short if there is much of an angle they are dealing with.

The design life can be as short as 20 hours or as long as 450 hours depending upon the angle of the U joints.
Having your own program to replace them before they break avoids the risk of bent yokes plus the work is done at your convenience not when it is most inconvenient.

Based upon the profile of the actual shaft, the PTO shaft looks to be a high quality COMER one. COMER being a large international AG company.

Here are the two roll pins allowing the end yoke(s) to be replaced.

Buying a replacement joint just because it fits is often a less than ideal situation. Most Tractor dealers can get COMER parts.

Dave

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Had one break and spread the yoke last fall. Driveline shops were a few weeks out and of course I needed it yesterday. Lots of tapping with a ball peen hammer but it's doable.