Briars and tires

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
I have a neighbor wanting me to clear some blackberries out 1/2 acre. Do you think it'll tear up r1 tires. All my other stuff is either foam filled or never around briars. So I have no clue

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Black berries, wild roses, raspberries,,, NO problem,,, White thorns on the hand do not mix well with inflated tires,, no don't ask

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I agree with Skeets. Unless something really strainge happens blackberries shouldn't be a problem. Like he said though, stay away from the thorn bushes.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Like haws trees and some crab apple trees,, anything that has a long hard thorn you know the ones that you could almost use for nails,,,

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Like haws trees and some crab apple trees,, anything that has a long hard thorn you know the ones that you could almost use for nails,,,
Gotcha. We have lots of locusts in some areas and I stay the heck away from that crap. I dont even mushroom hunt it. Speaking Of I found 88 nice grey and yellow morels last night in about two hrs mmmmmmm venison steaks with fried morels for supper tonight.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
There was an old Russian fellow that hunted mushrooms in the woods where I grew up. I went with him a few times, and I discovered that the only thing I know about mushrooms is buying them from Moon Light mushroom!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They say there are two types of mushroom hunters... The lucky ones and the dead ones.
I read a bunch of books and internet articles and no one could identify them correctly all the time.
We have a ton of mushrooms around here and some look pretty yummy, but I like staying alive most of the time! :D

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
They say there are two types of mushroom hunters... The lucky ones and the dead ones.
I read a bunch of books and internet articles and no one could identify them correctly all the time.
We have a ton of mushrooms around here and some look pretty yummy, but I like staying alive most of the time! :D
In the early 90's there was a large article in a local paper about a professor at a local college that was an expert with 40+ years of experience in identifying mushrooms and eating them. He was leading a field trip with students to identify and pick wild mushrooms. He died from eating one small mushroom and several students were hospitalizes and almost died from taking a little bite.

Wild mushrooms:eek: not me no way! ! ! ! ! !

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
We only pick morels around here. They're pretty easy to identify. I'm not into the crazy stuff. These only come up once a yr for a couple weeks are look like no other mushroom in the woods. Guys set up on side of road with a sign " morels $45 a lb " and your lucky if 30 lbs lasts 2 hrs. I give them to neighbors but at farmers market or small delicatessen restaurants you can get $50-75 a lb for nice ones. Once you see one you'll know what I mean.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I have a neighbor wanting me to clear some blackberries out 1/2 acre. Do you think it'll tear up r1 tires. All my other stuff is either foam filled or never around briars. So I have no clue

I have a few acres of briars on the caliber of blackberries and the like. The survey man would not get through them so I cut a path through them with my L245DT. My rear tires are liquid filled and the fronts are just inflated and I didn't have any problem doing this work. This was about a week or more ago and no flat tires. :D

Good luck with yours.

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
Great post! I have a lot of Hawthorne AKA Thorn Apple on my property . . this stuff is brutal . . get stuck with those 3" thorns and the tip (the last 1/16 inch or so) stays in you . . only to fester and come back out (with pus) 2-3 months later (ask me how I know this) . . .

And yes . . . you can use those 2 to 3 inch thorns for nails.

That said, I am going to try to leave some of them because Hawthorne (it's berrys and leaves) is one of the "Holy Grail" trees for herbal medicine, not to mention it is very attractive to songbirds for nesting because of its natural defenses . .

BUT I will be careful around them for my Kubota's tires . .