Breaking tire bead

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I’ve never done it, so I’m asking…My old pickup truck...The tires are leaking air from around the valve stems. Aluminum wheels. Around the bead seems fine. I was thinking of trying to break the bead with my loader or backhoe, carefully of course, and maybe a block of wood? I just need to break one side loose enough to get in there and install a new valve stem…once the hole is cleaned up of course. Stupid idea? Or anyone else done it?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I change tires on all kinds of things without a machine (two mower tires just this week). Breaking beads without a machine can be difficult but I've had luck with soaking the bead first with soapy water. Then try running a machine (tractor, truck etc) up a 2x6 (ramp) resting on the tire sidewall (with the end as close to the rim as you can get). That usually works.

If not, a beater piece of steel and heavy hammer can sometimes knock it loose.

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I do not think the idea is without merit ie, not stupid at all. :) . I think if you take your time, and yes, I think of block of wood might be in order.

I can say back in my off road racing days I would use a hi-lift farm type jack and the back bumper of my F250 with the wheel and tire laying flat on the ground and would break beads with little effort.

Reactions: 2 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You can do it. It's not complicated. When you get the bead broken you may find replacing the valve stem is not as simple as you think. If you lack the tool removing the valve stem can be challenging at best. The same is true of installing the new one. Then you need to inflate the tire to get it to pop the bead back onto the rim. This does not always go well unless you have a REALLY high volume of air. How much is your time worth? Yes, I have broken beads and replaced tires. I generally avoid it now.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I have used a bottle jack to break tire beads. Lay the tire down under the rear bumper. Place the jack between the bumper and the tire, with the foot of the jack on the tire sidewall against the rim.

As far as removing the valve stem, just cut the inner part off next to the rim with a sharp utility knife and it will fall right out. Get one of these valve tools:
1664070945666.jpeg

They're like, $4.
Use it to remove the valve core before you try breaking the bead. To install the new valve stem, screw the threads of the valve stem into the tool and use the tool to pull the valve stem into place. A dab of silicone on the valve stem will serve as a lubricant to help the valve stem slide into place, and seal it once it's in place.

-Paul

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I've done it several times with my bucket, my pallet forks and the empty SSQA adapter on the FEL.
The empty adapter is actually easiest (depending on the size of rim) because you can lay it flat and the shape almost wraps 1/2-way around in a semi-circular pattern, whereas with the bucket you are working only with a straight edge.
Forks would be 2nd easiest., IMO

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you value your aluminum wheels take it to a local guy with a tire changer machine. I've used my tractor bucket to break beads on ATV tires on steel wheels in the past in a pinch. Be prepared for wheel scuffs when your tire unexpectedly jumps out from under the loader like a popped zit. Not all tires and wheels separate easily.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
breaking the bead is usually the easiest part of the battle...
..getting the tire to seat and hold air, THAT can be 'fun'.
hint: CLEAN the rim AND tire bead, use 'bead goop', pray to the tire gods...
the op says 'tires', so more than one....
if you're young, healthy,strong have tools and time, sure do one, make take an hour, 2nd , 1/2hr, 3rd and 4th 20 minutes providing they all 'pop and seat' the 1st time and nothing else happens....
Even though I have all the right stuff, I visit the local garage.He spends 10 minutes what was taking me an hour

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
i use the trailer jack on my enclosed. Works good especially when the car's in the trailer. Impossible, however, with atv tires as the bead on the rims of atv tires is much bigger than automotive.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all the reply’s. I have the tools except for the specialized tool Rusty posted. I was aware of that nifty tool. I will procrastinate a little longer….lol.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I have done it many times like dirtydeed suggested. Just don’t break it initially where the valve stem is because the bead can get hung up on it. Don’t be surprised if the rim is corroded around the bead. Clean it up with a wire wheel on a hand grinder and use a light coating of sealer when seating the bead. The valve stem is an easy replacement from the inside of the rim