Brand new implement rust and bent

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Those of you who have been giving the OP a hard time for asking about what to do about his grapple that he received NEW, on a pallet, with a bent tine, are full of s***. If you had received a product like that, you would be on here screaming bloody murder. Back off and stop giving the OP such a hard time. There is a few of you that are so crotchety that you are scaring off new people who come on here looking for advice and help. If you buy a new product, on a pallet, you expect it to be undamaged and in good shape unless you were told otherwise. Asking how to handle the situation is a perfectly good way for someone who may not be used to doing something like that, to get advice on how to proceed.
I’ve really noticed some people on here have the mentality that if you don’t share my opinion or have my experience your wrong and less of a person, especially with this thread and the oil one on the bx that ran dry. Always ends up turning into thinly veiled insults. It’s stupid, as people come on here looking for help and then get bombarded with non helpful statements. It’s certainly made me think about if it’s worth
posting, to see if i want to sort through bs to get actual help. no reason for people to have such an ego.

Reactions: 4 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
To the OP,

I bent mine (on or about day one) because I move lots of rocks.

I was pissed.....However since then, I have become quiet adept at using my BFH to straighten it out...LOL

Reactions: 2 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
My concern would not be about a single bent tine, but about what else may have been damaged when that tine was bent. There may be damage that will show up in the future.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
OK… I get it….. No more poo-pooing the OPs heartbreak… it’s a genuine catastrophe, …it is.

I have the ultimate solution: Take it back to the dealer…and Tell him to straighten the bent tine and paint it… or he can go %&*$&^$ himself.!

Yeah…. That’s the ticket! Yeah.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My concern would not be about a single bent tine, but about what else may have been damaged when that tine was bent. There may be damage that will show up in the future.
Can you give an example of what your thinking when you say "There may be damage that will show up in the future." This is an item of steel and paint, and perhaps two cylinders. All easy to see and evaluate.

Reactions: 1 user

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
To the OP,

I bent mine (on or about day one) because I move lots of rocks.

I was pissed.....However since then, I have become quiet adept at using my BFH to straighten it out...LOL
When you have to straighten it back out, do you use a blowtorch to heat it up? I’ve got an old backblade thats a little tweaked I would like to straighten out, but not sure if I should heat the spot first or if that could warp/weaken the metal?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Can you give an example of what your thinking when you say "There may be damage that will show up in the future." This is an item of steel and paint, and perhaps two cylinders. All easy to see and evaluate.
I agree with you. If there was enough impact to hurt other parts, my thought is something other than a tine would be bent.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
SGC0548 Claw Grapples SGC0548
Move brush, clean stalls, lift debris, and so much more with Land Pride's SGC0548 Claw Grapple. The SGC05 will make chores a breeze. Easily grasp, lift, and move a variety of materials making property maintenance easier and less time consuming. Our SGC0548 tines are manufactured from high-tensile AR400 Steel to make sure it stands up to demanding use. For added strength, the frame is made of 2" x 3" rectangular tubing. And it carries the Land Pride name, so you know quality is built in. - Less

I will take it off your hands and give you $500 for it since it is damaged.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
When you have to straighten it back out, do you use a blowtorch to heat it up? I’ve got an old backblade thats a little tweaked I would like to straighten out, but not sure if I should heat the spot first or if that could warp/weaken the metal?

Most of the time the tine is just off a little from grabbing a stone awkwardly/(too hard) so I just give it a "whack" or two with the BFH.

But I did bend one once that needed some "persuasion" so I used a torch to heat it up.

I try not to use a torch because I don't want to soften the steel up on accident.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Most of the time the tine is just off a little from grabbing a stone awkwardly/(too hard) so I just give it a "whack" or two with the BFH.

But I did bend one once that needed some "persuasion" so I used a torch to heat it up.

I try not to use a torch because I don't want to soften the steel up on accident.
Was it possible for that tine get to be "just off a little" while it was strapped to a shipping pallet?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Was it possible for that tine get to be "just off a little" while it was strapped to a shipping pallet?
I guess its possible, but probably not.

I would bet in my case, it was from me 'squeezing' the stones too hard.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
looking at the original pictures...
The outward bend in the outside tine might have been caused when grapple was shifted, tine got stuck in the skid ? Most 'skids' don't have solid ,smooth decks so items on them could move if not properly secured.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
OK, that section of grapple could now be out of square, or possibly a bearing/bushing cracked, or a weld cracked. My thought is that the tine was not bend during normal use, so the grapple was possibly dropped off a fork lift or hit hard by a machine while in storage, or something else that we will never know. Why take a chance when buying a brand new implement?

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don’t think it’s damaged/bent in any accident at all… Looking back at the original pics…. I think the curves are all within ordinary mfr’g tolerances

Last edited:

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan

Thanks!