Brand new implement rust and bent

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
So......grapple delivery with a bent tine is OK for BX owners?
Although, when irritated with someone I’ve also done it in a kneejerk moment….. It’s unkind to put words into other persons mouths.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
So......grapple delivery with a bent tine is OK for BX owners?
My post was in response to your suggestion that the dealer sold the OP some sort of cheap/non-suitable grapple.

fried1765 said:

I suspect that your dealer sold you his bottom of the $ line product.
The design lacks gusseting.
The OP has a BX; it is the Kubota/Land Pride matched grapple for a BX. The grapple is already more than strong enough for proper use with the loader/hydraulic system. Having a stronger grapple (or a box blade or a .....) for a BX is of no value.

I, like most of the posters on this thread, find the slightly bent tine/tooth to be unfortunate - not significant.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't think it's ok, but on the other hand, it's not that big of an issue. I'd report it to the dealer and move on.
I would try to get a discount since the grapple is damaged a little. When I ordered a Del Morino flail mower, the shipping company caused some damage. Courtney at GWTC offered me a 15% discount to cover the damage and that was over $1,000 off the original purchase price. I was more than happy to get the discount and GWTC sent out a new rod that the guards swing on, and I ordered some good paint that's color matched. It was a good outcome.

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Each of us has our own expectations. It's not entirely unusual for someone to check how his expectations align with those of other people in an attempt to verify if his are reasonable. My advice would be follow your gut and go from there. Three pages of "piffing conteft" hasn't provided any resolution for the OP IMHO :)

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My post was in response to your suggestion that the dealer sold the OP some sort of cheap/non-suitable grapple.

The OP has a BX; it is the Kubota/Land Pride matched grapple for a BX. The grapple is already more than strong enough for proper use with the loader/hydraulic system. Having a stronger grapple (or a box blade or a .....) for a BX is of no value.

I, like most of the posters on this thread, find the slightly bent tine/tooth to be unfortunate - not significant.
I think the real story here is that the grapple for the BX is so flimsy that it was bent while on a pallet....in shipment!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I never said i asked for money back. I asked if this was normal. Also i read on this fourm that bending these types of metals back has caused breakage. When i bought my box blade land pride from different dealer, it was not like this so that is why i questioned what others have seen in past. Also bought a brush hog from dirt dog and did not have concerns. Thanks for everyone's views and thoughts as they varied. It was great to hear the different views.
It's not uncommon for an implement to get damaged in freight.
It happens.
It's not going to effect the use, safety, strength or longevity of the implement.

Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
My gosh, it's a ground engagement tractor implement. I bent a tine on my root grapple on the first day! Removing a boulder inset in the ground. That's how I learned it's limits.

Ask for a discount because it was a factory paint or shipping issue. Maybe a free t-shirt or hat. But let it go.

Use it hard and you'll tear it up worse than that in short order.

Consider it tractor - use respect and credibility. And you didn't even have to earn it.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Root grapples are for removing ROOTS not boulders !!;)

See ,you can abuse anything and 'bad' can happen :oops:

Going back to the OP, he said damage was found after unwrapping it ,so...damage was done when Landpride shipped to dealer ?? I'd have thought dealer would inspect either at delivery or when he shipped it out, just to be sure hoses, brackets, documents, etc were on the skid and secure ??

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My gosh, it's a ground engagement tractor implement. I bent a tine on my root grapple on the first day! Removing a boulder inset in the ground. That's how I learned it's limits.

Ask for a discount because it was a factory paint or shipping issue. Maybe a free t-shirt or hat. But let it go.

Use it hard and you'll tear it up worse than that in short order.

The grapple was bent while sitting on the shipping pallet.
Should we all just accept shipping damage as normal/OK?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Root grapples are for removing ROOTS not boulders !!;)
Land Pride “Grapples make quick work of large jobs, and can be used to rake, dig, and move ROCKS, trees, brush, and construction debris without picking up dirt. “

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
@fried1765 , I did suggest asking for a discount.. shipping damage is not good...

But I've known young farmhands working a Kubota hard (including me in the 70's) to gain that kind of credibility on the equipment. The OP got it for free!

If the paint isn't scratched off of your ground implements. Or a part isn't bent a little here and there. You're not working it, but just playing with it! 🙂

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
@fried1765 , I did suggest asking for a discount.. shipping damage is not good...

But I've known young farmhands working a Kubota hard (including me in the 70's) to gain that kind of credibility on the equipment. The OP got it for free!

If the paint isn't scratched off of your ground implements. Or a part isn't bent a little here and there. You're not working it, but just playing with it! 🙂

Just where does damage prior to delivery, fit into that line of reasoning?
Having a new car delivered with ... a small dent....doesn't really matter, because you will just be cruising down the highway with it anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Just where does damage prior to delivery, fit into that line of reasoning?
Having a new car delivered with ... a small dent....doesn't really matter, because you will just be cruising down the highway with it anyway?
No - it is like having a scratch on a shovel. If you use the product as intended, you will have some level of damage/blemish accumulating as you use it. Using a grapple as intended will cause a variety of superficial and sometimes greater damage/wear.

BTW, EA sold their grapples for years with a serious design flaw (not incidental shipping damage or welding warpage that sometime occurs - very real possibility for this tine as noted by another poster). The EA grapples' hydraulic hose routing had numerous severe turns and protruding excess hose loops. Several members posted about it and their repairs here. This design flaw caused chaffing of the hoses in shipment and in use; and thereby, it constituted a safety/reliability issue (not just some cosmetic blemish). EA eventually did correct the problem by using angled hydraulic fittings (a simple / inexpensive fix).

Dave Knows How put out a youtube video about the issues, and it was years before EA fixed the problem.

I still presume EA products were good overall based of their many happy customers, but to act like EA only shipped pristine equipment is not supported by the facts.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
i would see what the dealer can do you for you. I believe you at least deserve some money back or a fix installed. Some of the people on here may think it’s ridiculous, but YOU spent YOUR MONEY on a NEW product that was damaged. If I were you I would be would be calling the dealer ASAP.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
i would see what the dealer can do you for you. I believe you at least deserve some money back or a fix installed. Some of the people on here may think it’s ridiculous, but YOU spent YOUR MONEY on a NEW product that was damaged. If I were you I would be would be calling the dealer ASAP.
Good advice if you are upset that your garage queen has a scratch.

Ask for a can of spray paint and a K hat. Buckets and grapples are made for work.

• Dislike

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Those of you who have been giving the OP a hard time for asking about what to do about his grapple that he received NEW, on a pallet, with a bent tine, are full of s***. If you had received a product like that, you would be on here screaming bloody murder. Back off and stop giving the OP such a hard time. There is a few of you that are so crotchety that you are scaring off new people who come on here looking for advice and help. If you buy a new product, on a pallet, you expect it to be undamaged and in good shape unless you were told otherwise. Asking how to handle the situation is a perfectly good way for someone who may not be used to doing something like that, to get advice on how to proceed.

Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Those of you who have been giving the OP a hard time for asking about what to do about his grapple that he received NEW, on a pallet, with a bent tine, are full of s***. If you had received a product like that, you would be on here screaming bloody murder. Back off and stop giving the OP such a hard time. There is a few of you that are so crotchety that you are scaring off new people who come on here looking for advice and help. If you buy a new product, on a pallet, you expect it to be undamaged and in good shape unless you were told otherwise. Asking how to handle the situation is a perfectly good way for someone who may not be used to doing something like that, to get advice on how to proceed.
I get it...

I've bought new attachments and found scratched paint where tie down straps from shipping damaged the paint. If it was the hood of my new tractor I'd demand a new hood. Scratched my bucket? Give me a break, call the dealer, have them send you some paint and a hat for your trouble. The bucket is going to get scratched to hell anyways and getting my knickers in a knot over a wear item is a waste of emotions and needless stress to shorten your lifespan.

Bent tines? Sorry I don't see it from the photo's provided. Put a straight edge against the bent tine and take a photo. I'm guessing there's a slight bend in the tine due to welding heat stresses. If there is a problem it isn't obvious to me.

If you are the type that waxes the bottom of your SCUT bucket every weekend then paint scuffs and a slight bend in a tine are probably a traumatic experience and Karen needs to call 911.

• Dislike

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No - it is like having a scratch on a shovel. If you use the product as intended, you will have some level of damage/blemish accumulating as you use it. Using a grapple as intended will cause a variety of superficial and sometimes greater damage/wear.

BTW, EA sold their grapples for years with a serious design flaw (not incidental shipping damage or welding warpage that sometime occurs - very real possibility for this tine as noted by another poster). The EA grapples' hydraulic hose routing had numerous severe turns and protruding excess hose loops. Several members posted about it and their repairs here. This design flaw caused chaffing of the hoses in shipment and in use; and thereby, it constituted a safety/reliability issue (not just some cosmetic blemish). EA eventually did correct the problem by using angled hydraulic fittings (a simple / inexpensive fix).

Dave Knows How put out a youtube video about the issues, and it was years before EA fixed the problem.

I still presume EA products were good overall based of their many happy customers, but to act like EA only shipped pristine equipment is not supported by the facts.
I never said or implied such.
THAT information was posted by ANOTHER!

Last edited: