Brakes on l4600

gmanmp

Jul 20, 2012
Bristow, VA
Hello folks,

I recently purchased a new L4600-gear drive. So far the tractor is performing extremely well but I only have about 12 hours on her. I have noticed however when I lock the brakes on and park the tractor, it will still roll if it's on a hill. The manual states that all gears should be in nuetral when i turn it off. I have to place the synchro shuttle shifter (F N R) in gear to keep it from rolling. Is this normal? If not is it an easy fix?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Mp

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If its brand new and under warranty take it back to the dealer and have them check the brakes and fix it at no cost to you.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I second what Eric said. The brakes themselves should be sufficient to hold the tractor. Have the dealer check them. But, being a gear drive, you should be able to put it in gear- I would never trust only the brakes.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You have to really push on the brakes when you lock them - I've never had a problem. Also make sure the two brake pedals are connected; otherwise you may only be locking one of them. I always make sure to set any attachments on the ground - I'd hate to have my kids or a neighbors' decide to play farmer and lower a tiller or FEL on a brother.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Like said, you have to push the brakes very hard to lock them.

I always leave mine in gear when parked.

oldcarkook

Equipment
1998 L3600 GST w/LA680; 72" grooming mower; 72" landscape blade; Auger; Harrow
Apr 19, 2012
Sheldonville, Mass.
Steep hills and tractors are a formula for potential trouble. If the brakes will stop the tractor and hold it on a steep hill with your leg power, then the brakes are functioning properly. If the brakes are not stopping the tractor on the hill (in neutral) then they have a problem. The brakes should lock up all four wheels (4WD) if necessary. Always operate in 4WD on steep hills.

The lock lever for the "park brake" function allows some travel back before it locks on the position. So you can stop the tractor and then pull the brake lock but if the pedal comes up some before it locks, it's letting off on the brakes and likely why it's slipping.

As others have indicated you should push hard enough down that the pedal locks in the height position needed.

It's bad practice to park a tractor on a hill for all the obvious reasons. If you have the loader attachment, then additionally you should roll the bucket out so the face is down and then put the bucket down and apply down pressure to bite into the hill the same as you would when operating a back hoe attachment. Unless there is no other option than to park on the hill, best to avoid it whenever possible.