Bouncing an idea off ya'll

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
So, I have been trying to decide if I should do a D950 swap in my 82 B7100. The options are... A)find a D750 that's in need of a rebuild, or B) rebuild the engine I currently have, or C)find a D750 that needs a rebuild.

The engine I currently have is in great shape. It runs great, still has power, almost 2700 hrs, but it has some blow-by. Nothing extreme, but it's still there. I don't want to end up ruining an engine that could easily be saved with a re-ring. The obvious with pulling and rebuilding the current engine is I would be without a tractor for 'x' months. I'm more of a hobby engine re-builder, and there's really no telling how long it would take me.

I've done some research and found that a complete/'turn-key' D750 or D950 would cost around $3000. Not terrible considering how long a properly built/maintained Kubota engine will last. However, I don't have that kind of cash kicking about.

So, my idea with option B, would be continue using the tractor while I take my time rebuilding the 'new' D950, swap it out once done, then rebuild the 'old' D750 and sell it.

Idea C would be the the same as B, just with a D750 instead of the D950.

Thoughts and suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I stuck this thread in this area of the forum since this is (at this point) just information I'm looking for. Thanks!

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
My old 7100 has blow by, so do a lot of others out there. It's an old tractor but it doesn't mean anything is seriously wrong. I'll run mine until it blows, it's already paid for itself for what I've used it for. Mine has had some blow by since I've bought it and I have used it and abused it since. I wouldn't doubt that it will last for many more years and it has over 1300 hrs, assuming the hour meter is correct.

Wolf man can give you better insight on your situation but I wouldn't worry about it. If your mechanically able to rebuild the motor that would never hurt considering it wouldn't break the bank to do so.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"...some blow-by" wouldn't make me want to rebuild the engine. 2700 hours isn't a scary number!

Keep good oil in it and change it regularly. Make sure it doesn't overheat, and you can run it a long time. Don't be afraid to use it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just rebuilt a D950 this last summer, at the insistence of the owner.
By the time you pay for the rebuild kit, get any additional parts not in the kit, have the injection pump gone through, and replace the injectors, you'll be in it for about $2500 and that is if your lucky enough to find a good machine shop to do the head and the block that doesn't charge too much.
And if you don't have any hard parts that are damaged beyond machining.

It's never a Re-ring and call it good, you will end up with a cruddy running engine when your done.

I got a good used D950 for $450 Plus $75 shipping as a replacement for my tired D750, it's ran perfectly since I put it in 4 years ago.

Be prepared if you go with a D950, you'll have to alter the radiator as the Inlet / Outlet ports are not in the same location or size.
You will also need to make brackets and find the proper pulleys and belts to mount an alternator on it.
I put mine on the side, most put it on top of the engine.
You will also need to change the wiring to wire in the alternator and add a temp gauge, and possibly a stop solenoid.

Reactions: 1 user

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
Very good info Wolfman thanks for that. Good to know the estimation in cost to rebuild. I'm sure that cost can vary though. D2 and OldeE, thanks for the reassurance on the blow-by.
I'm just wondering if I shouldn't find a D750/950 for cheap since they're getting difficult to find. That, and it's been a while since I went through an engine, and it would be my first diesel.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sounds like a rebuild from a shop with a good rep might just be the way to go if it is infact something you really want to do

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
Skeets thank you for your input. To clarify my idea here, I want to do the rebuild myself since I've never done a diesel. Being in an agricultural area, I have a number of nearby diesel shops that I can have some work done as needed, but I'd want to do the majority of it myself and without a time-crunch. More as a self-taught class.

I'll be pursuing a diesel tech certification soon, and I may use that engine in the class, provided I'm permitted to use it. I know my current engine is just fine and I plan to continue using it if things don't work out with another engine.
The main purpose I wanted to bring this up here is because I've been toying with the idea of swapping in a D950 not only for the hp gain, but it would give me some valuable experience in the small diesel world as well. I guess I'm more looking to find out from those that have done this or similar projects, if the cost will break even or not be worth rebuilding one, swap it in, then rebuild the old and selling the engine. I want to rip into one of these engines, put it back together and make it a genuine work horse that will last many more years.

I appreciate all of the very helpful responses from everybody. I think I chose well bringing this up here. I look forward to seeing more input.

cviola2005

Jun 8, 2016
Clarkrange, TN, USA
In case you are unaware, there is also a D850. Middle brother to the other two. I have one and a D750 in my shop. Both are low hour used engines. None of my engines have come back due to poor running. PM me if interested.