Bought our first "new" tractor! Have questions though

KBorange

Equipment
Kubota L3200
Aug 11, 2013
Eureka Missouri
Our family pulled the trigger on a nice new Kubota to help maintain our small family farm. We have about 10 acres that we cut 3-4 times a year. And will be doing 3-4 acres in foot plots. Winter wheat/beans/clover. Also will be used for moving gravel, hauling some firewood, clearing logging roads etc. We decided on a new L3200HST with FEL and a Land Pride 60inch rotary cutter. Does this seem like a good tractor for our work load? The tractor is being delivered on Friday. The only regret I'm having is not pricing out a 3800, if its not too much more we may have them go ahead and bring us that one instead. Is the 3800 that much of an upgrade for say 2k? Thanks for the advice!

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
You should never want for more horse power with the L3800. Can't say that for the L3200. You may be fine with your conditions, only you can say. But in some circumstances, I have read that the L3200 has come up short on power. I have never read that about the L3800.

Your decision, good luck. ;)

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I was in the market for this size tractor a couple years ago. I went with the L3800DT for the extra power, independent PTO w/two stag clutch and got a screaming deal on one with 14 hrs, but like new.

I mow heavy, thick, tall stuff and the extra power is needed! The 2 stage clutch is not a concern with HST, but I didn't want HST.

You'll be fine unless you need more PTO horse power.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
For the aforementioned reasons I would get the 3800 no question.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
For the aforementioned reasons I would get the 3800 no question.
I agree. While $2,000 (or whatever the difference is, within reason) isn't pocket change, you will forget the sting in a couple of years. The regret of not having enough tractor will stay fresh. If you can swing it, go for more tractor than you think that you currently need. If you can't afford the difference, make the best of it. Either tractor will be nice and a workhorse.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I bought an L3200 / FEL / HST / Loaded R4's a year ago and just passed the 100 hour mark. I've been very happy with it and I finally have "big enough". The old Ford I have and the previous Kubota did have me wishing for more weight and HP. Do yourself a favor and if you're not certain the L3200 is big enough for your needs, by all means go for the 3800 or something larger.

I was using it yesterday with a set of home-built brush forks, then the loader and a 5' box blade to re-contour some land. It loses traction before power is an issue. It's really beefy and powerful enough for me after running a B7500 for the previous 10 years.

KBorange

Equipment
Kubota L3200
Aug 11, 2013
Eureka Missouri
I'm calling in the morning to check on the price difference. If it is less than 2k then it's probably a go. Money isn't an issue, wifey is.:D

senecak19

Equipment
Dethatcher, Brush Forks, Land Plane
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
I bought an L3200 / FEL / HST / Loaded R4's a year ago and just passed the 100 hour mark. I've been very happy with it and I finally have "big enough". The old Ford I have and the previous Kubota did have me wishing for more weight and HP. Do yourself a favor and if you're not certain the L3200 is big enough for your needs, by all means go for the 3800 or something larger.

I was using it yesterday with a set of home-built brush forks, then the loader and a 5' box blade to re-contour some land. It loses traction before power is an issue. It's really beefy and powerful enough for me after running a B7500 for the previous 10 years.
For what its worth, I have the same tractor as Chim (L3200 HST). I don't have many hours on it yet, but I haven't run out of power yet.

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
Both good tractors but if your second guessing, go bigger, you'll thank yourself later.:D

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
For what its worth, I have the same tractor as Chim (L3200 HST). I don't have many hours on it yet, but I haven't run out of power yet.
Mine has done everything well so far. I can mow the whole place, uphill / sidehill / downhill in 2WD high range with a 6' Landpride finish mower.

Everyone has different requirements. If I had to shuffle big round bales or wanted to chisel plow acres I'd want to keep the L3200 for a lawn mower and get a real tractor:eek:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I agree. While $2,000 (or whatever the difference is, within reason) isn't pocket change, you will forget the sting in a couple of years. The regret of not having enough tractor will stay fresh. If you can swing it, go for more tractor than you think that you currently need. If you can't afford the difference, make the best of it. Either tractor will be nice and a workhorse.
Yep, while it may have happened, I've never heard a person say, "I sure wish I had less power".

Back in 1998 my father in law decided to buy a 70 HP CX70 Case, against my advise; he already had a 72 HP MF. In less than a month, he took it back and got a CX80; cost him a bit of money.

Agree on not pocket change, but over the years it's no big deal, so I really don't see a significant down side.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Trading in wifey :eek: is a lot more expensive than trading in tractors.
One will let you down and never seems to go away, the orange one seems to last forever!

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
L3800 GST owner here, the difference between 2 equally equipped machines should be $1k, however, the standard features the 3800 offers over the 3200 are worth it (More HP, Independent LIVE PTO, More HP, More HP).

While the 3800 is too small for what I use it for, I do have times where it does surprise me. With the 3800 I can get a 72" Box Blade so full of clay that the pile buries the rear tires slinging dirt everywhere at 2k RPM in 6th gear (2H). Sometimes I can do it in 7th (3H), but that's about when I run out of power. Keep in mind this is from filling the box by forward movement, not by just spinning the tires. (I know there are those of you out there imagining my machine wide open digging holes with the rear tires filling up the box)

The FEL is pretty much worthless in the soil we have here without a tooth bar on it. I used the FEL quite a bit before getting the box blade and was saddened by the machine almost daily.

Get the 3800 and rest easy knowing that you can use just about any 6ft implement with ease. And by all means, do get 6ft implements.

KBorange

Equipment
Kubota L3200
Aug 11, 2013
Eureka Missouri
Decided to stick with the 3200 and put the money saved towards a land pride disc. Our salesperson was confident that this would be all we would ever need for what our plans are.