Bought my first Kubota. Was it a mistake?

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Have to say I agree with everyone else saying no repair - replace it. They've already admitted they don't know what they're doing with the repair.

Make them replace it, and start looking for another dealer for future repairs and purchases.

zigzag3337

Equipment
Kubota RTV-XG850 Sidekick
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
Thanks for everyone’s input. I really appreciate it.
I took advantage of Kubota’s 0% financing, so today I sent them an email with my concerns. Not sure if they can help, but hopefully I will hear something back soon.

I also sent Kubota Corp a detailed email with all the details from the time I bought it until now. This way I have a case number started. I also called and left a message along with the case number so now there’s a paper trail.

Basically I told them I’m looking for either a brand new transmission or a replacement machine.

I’m hoping that I’ll hear something back shortly from either one or even both with some kind of solution. If I don’t hear back from them, I’ll keep making the phone calls and will keep y’all posted.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Then the dealer needs to return the lemon back to Kubota....I personally would not settle for less than a new properly working machine. I think Kubota needs to step up to the plate and honor selling a good product.
Why would I buy from a company that responds like that? I'm in shopping mode! I may rethink this now.

zigzag3337

Equipment
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
So what does the dealer say when you ask for a new machine
I’ll find out tomorrow as I’m going to call and talk to the store manager.

I still think it’s BS that Kubota can’t ship a complete transmission assembly From the factory. Should be as easy as pulling one off the assembly line, but what the hell do I know.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Call the States Attorney General, and file a formal complaint by telephone, and follow it up with a written letter. Then send Kubota Credit a certified mail letter advising them that you will not be making any payments on a tractor that is sitting in a dealers building with 3.1 hours on it, waiting for repairs. The send another certified letter to Kubota Corporation in Texas, requesting a face to face meeting with the Kubota Regional Representative ASAP. I can guarantee that you will get a response. If you also know an attorney that is a friend, ask him if you can cc him at the bottom of the letter, and to make sure that you let them know that he represents you. I am willing to bet my wife that you will have their attention and they will jump through hoops to resolve the problem. Have a local television station that handles consumer complaints, contact them. They always like to help the consumer against big corporations.
Kubota Tractor Corporation
Customer Satisfaction
1000 Kubota Drive
Grapevine, TX 76051

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I follow what DustyRusty is outlining, however I would change the order of action. If Kubota Customer Service turned the responsibility over to the local dealership, I would present the email to the principle owners at the dealership and ask for a resolution that suits you. Either a complete new transmission or new machine. If that is refused..... then I would proceed as Dustyrusty outlined, and I would express my dissatisfaction with his answer and let him know in detail who I am contacting, and emphasis the local TV Call For Action reporter.

I have actually asked a principle owner of a business if they had a line item in their budget for advertising. (of course they do) So advertising is important to you? Do you want a good return on your investment? I'm asking you to fix this and if it can't be done I'm probably going to waste a bunch of that budget when I explain this to TV 41 Call for Action!

Reactions: 1 users

Clint from Flint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2350, B26 TLB, Covington Plant., Landpride Tiller, Hustler Flip-up
Dec 12, 2020
Flint, Texas
And I was planning on buying a new Sidekick...Hmmmm....but not now after the way Zigzag is being treated by Kubota.

'THE MORE I SEE OF SOME PEOPLE THE BETTER I LIKE MY DOG'

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I follow what DustyRusty is outlining, however I would change the order of action. If Kubota Customer Service turned the responsibility over to the local dealership, I would present the email to the principle owners at the dealership and ask for a resolution that suits you. Either a complete new transmission or new machine. If that is refused..... then I would proceed as Dustyrusty outlined, and I would express my dissatisfaction with his answer and let him know in detail who I am contacting, and emphasis the local TV Call For Action reporter.

I have actually asked a principle owner of a business if they had a line item in their budget for advertising. (of course they do) So advertising is important to you? Do you want a good return on your investment? I'm asking you to fix this and if it can't be done I'm probably going to waste a bunch of that budget when I explain this to TV 41 Call for Action!
Time isn't on his side. He is already into this 10 days, and the way that the mail is now days, he doesn't have the luxury of waiting. If they get this resolved before the letters arrive, then the letters are meaningless. In the meantime, he is without the machine, and the dealership is moving ahead with the repairs. Once the repairs are done, he has no recourse but to take the machine home and live with it. The best that will happen for him is that he never has a problem with it again in the future, but the tractor is covered for 6 years on the drivetrain. If it fails again, they are just going to keep repairing it. He has to take swift action now, and only when they feel the pressure of the problem, is it going to be resolved in his favor. I am an old guy, and I have learned a lot over the years. What I have learned is that it is best to act swiftly and firmly, because the giants of the world will roll over you if you don't. The State Attorney General can make one call, and the situation will be resolved.
A friend had his oil changed at the dealership, and the forgot to put oil into the engine. As a result, the engine failed. The told him that they were going to get a rebuilt engine from GM and replace it. It turned out that they installed a salvage yard engine into the truck. That engine was burning oil as soon as he got the truck back, and he complained to the dealership, who tried to blow him off. He filed a complaint to the States Attorney General at my suggestion, and they contacted the dealership. The dealership took the truck back, and installed a factory new engine in his truck, and then to sweeten the bitter experience, they gave him free oil changes for 3 years. Dealerships are licensed by the state, and they don't want to mess around with problems that they know that can bite them.

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
If it were mine, I would tell them that I want a replacement machine, and they can send that one back to the factory or sell it to someone else, but you will not accept anything other than a new machine. If it is financed with Kubota, call them and tell them that you want them to replace the unit, or you will be filing a complaint with the states attorney general. That will get their attention.
Unless they are putting in ever part new, you have no idea if a part that isn't replaced might have been compromised, and that it will lead to a failure sometime in later years when the machine is out of warranty. I also don't believe that they don't build any spare complete units. They are just blowing smoke up you know where, and they think that they are getting away with it. If you don't fight for yourself, no one else will.
I have to agree, it should be replaced with a brand new machine, then they can explore and tinker all they want for future experience on that transmission. Its not like they are just replacing a seal or taking care of a small leak someplace.

zigzag3337

Equipment
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
I ended up talking to the manager at the dealership this morning and telling him everything I’ve been through from the day I bought the machine until now. He was very cooperative and listened to what I had to say. In the end, he said that he’s away from the office, but for me to give him some time to make a few phone calls and see what he could do to either replace the transmission with a new one or swap out the machine with another one.

45 minutes later, he called me back and said after talking to his service manager and Kubota, they are going to swap out the machine with a new one. He said he doesn’t have one available right now, but give him a few days and he will make it happen.

He’s also going to have his guys move the accessories off of my old machine onto the new one (mirrors, LED lights, etc).

He said hopefully by next Friday I can come pick it up and since I financed it through Kubota, I’ll have to do a little paperwork to change the vin numbers on my account.

I appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions. I think in the long run, this is the better choice. I just hope that machine problem was a fluke and this unit will stand up to Kubota’s reputation of being a reliable machine.

Reactions: 10 users

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
It's the correct thing for Kubota to do in regards to customer service and satisfaction. The solution is the right one for sure....in regards for both parties involved. Good to hear they stepped up and did the right thing.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I just finished reading this thread, good deal zigzag. I'm glad they are finally working to help you. Good luck with your new machine

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I ended up talking to the manager at the dealership this morning and telling him everything I’ve been through from the day I bought the machine until now. He was very cooperative and listened to what I had to say. In the end, he said that he’s away from the office, but for me to give him some time to make a few phone calls and see what he could do to either replace the transmission with a new one or swap out the machine with another one.

45 minutes later, he called me back and said after talking to his service manager and Kubota, they are going to swap out the machine with a new one. He said he doesn’t have one available right now, but give him a few days and he will make it happen.

He’s also going to have his guys move the accessories off of my old machine onto the new one (mirrors, LED lights, etc).

He said hopefully by next Friday I can come pick it up and since I financed it through Kubota, I’ll have to do a little paperwork to change the vin numbers on my account.

I appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions. I think in the long run, this is the better choice. I just hope that machine problem was a fluke and this unit will stand up to Kubota’s reputation of being a reliable machine.
I normally don't charge for my advise, unless it is in the office. For you I will make an exception, please advise where to send the bill. The money that you will be paying me will be well spent on my next Kubota... :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
DR, I don't see where the advise you offered in post #27 had any impact on the outcome of this problem. Please withhold all charges!

Reactions: 1 users

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
I normally don't charge for my advise, unless it is in the office. For you I will make an exception, please advise where to send the bill. The money that you will be paying me will be well spent on my next Kubota... :)
Get in line with a few other posters that advised for the OP to get a new machine.

zigzag3337

Equipment
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
Get in line with a few other posters that advised for the OP to get a new machine.
You guys crack me up. I never count my chickens before they hatch, so I’ll wait to celebrate once I get the new machine home.

I know they wife will be happy too, as I have a crap load of stuff sitting on the dining room table waiting to be installed on it.

zigzag3337

Equipment
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
Well, Coastal Equipment and Kubota came through. The service manager for CE delivered another machine to my house this week and so far, everything is working as it should. My old machine had 3.1 hrs and around 17 miles on it when I took it back, this machine has 3.3 hrs and 25.4 miles on it when it was delivered. After checking the vin number just to make sure it was a different machine, I asked the service manager where did they get this one and he said it was their demo sidekick at their shows. I told my wife to look on the bright side, it’s lasted longer than the other one. So far, I’m happy with it. Already mounted the winch and extra LED lights on the front, now just have to wire everything up.

Attachments

Reactions: 5 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Awesome.
Glad it worked out for you with minimal damage ZigZag.
👍
Cheers to a long life with your new toy.....errr work vehicle.