BOHICA!!!!!!! Do you know what you win, when you play stupid games?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Along with the reasons I posted to GJ, I don't have that much timber around and I think that "overall" it was just going to be "easier" to go from the top.

I could be 100% wrong about being "easier", but that was my thinking at the time, and sometimes you just have to go with your gut.(y)
Honestly great job for sticking with it. I think you are doing great and I appreciate the authorship/ anecdote sharing. I would have been at the Boars nest a long time ago…I’d probably already been at the Boars nest long enough to have had Daisy pour a couple beers on my head by now.😉

keep it coming. (If I knew how I would put the General Lee Horn honk in this post). 🥃

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
So I am planning for a "gusher" of hydraulic fluid because in my twisted mind, I decide to not make a "preemptive strike" and drain the fluid first. I decide to gamble, and "see" if the fluid all rush's out.

So I clean up a 5 gallon bucket and try to stuff it under there.

However, of course it wont fit.....I tried everything but it was not going to fit under there, and I was lifting it on one side, uncomfortably high.

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 124903

View attachment 124904

I finally tip it on its side and stand it up.....BUT......now the backhoe frame is blocking it from being able to be put in the proper place.......

View attachment 124905

So there I am, thinking.....thinking.....

What could I use that is about 5 "gallons'ish"

EUREKA......That's it.....My wifes sweater/scarf storage box........

What's that saying?....."Better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission"....hahahah (she is out of town visiting her sister......)

View attachment 124906

I pop the small line off and it goes fairly well, and not a ton of fluid is pouring out and eventually is slows to a manageable 'trickle'.

View attachment 124909

Now for the "600 Lbs. Gorilla" in the room.....how the F am I going to wiggle the line out past the loader bracket? (circled in blue in the lower right of next pic)

View attachment 124907

After F'ing around with 1,123,678 different combinations of twisting and turning to get this line out,

It turns out........... its impossible........Damn it again!!!!!!

Now I start getting "Hangry" and not thinking clearly, and choose the "Nuclear Option"

Enter the cutting wheel.....

View attachment 124908

Well that gets it out easily enough, but it does not solve my next problem.

How the hell do I get the new one in?

I decide to stop and get something to eat and think this through a little better.

I toy around with the idea of cutting the new one and then figuring out a "splicing" solution, but it is not sitting well with me.
The line cutting reminds me about 22 years ago i needed an exhaust on my 93 ford ranger, i had done the napa one and it lasted only year or so. So i ordered cat back from ford. I went to pick it and found it was all one piece. they told me it needed to be installed a lift to get it over the dif. They weren't too busy and did it for next to nothing. 2003 I built my garage and installed an 8000 lift
The lift is money well spent but I think sometimes I would like a pit too. I will be watching your lift adapter build for General Lee!

Bill

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Pits are all but outlawed in most states. I remember all the hoops we had to go through to get a pit permit in Connecticut in the 1960s because there was no way to work under large trucks back then except for using a pit. It has to have explosion-proof lighting, ventilation fans, and a water/oil separator.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
What I am curious about is the wife's sweater storage tub. Did you get it cleaned up and put back before she came home?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Thanks for sharing. You do tell the most entertaining tractor stories I’ve read. It’s too bad they usually start with something breaking and costing you more than it should in parts and labor. But hey, hide is the cheapest thing on the ranch, right? You always do seem to persevere and sort it out, usually. I think you might owe us the final story on the backhoe lift leg hydraulic hose protection, just a soon a you whoop that quandary’s butt.

I should dye my HST fluid too. Seems like it’s saved you more than once, being able to see the “blood”. Did you say the dye was a JD product?

I hear you on being able to see stuff. It’s either too close to be able to focus on it or too damn far to be able to see clearly. Probably the most regularly frustrating part of my wrenching experience in the last 15ish years.

Get you a two digit M, that way you’ll get more clearance for the brush you’re slaying and for you to get access under it. My midsized L still allows me to get there. The little B, not so much.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Honestly great job for sticking with it. I think you are doing great and I appreciate the authorship/ anecdote sharing. I would have been at the Boars nest a long time ago…I’d probably already been at the Boars nest long enough to have had Daisy pour a couple beers on my head by now.😉

keep it coming. (If I knew how I would put the General Lee Horn honk in this post). 🥃
Pictures, of Daisy pouring the beer? Please.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thanks for sharing. You do tell the most entertaining tractor stories I’ve read. It’s too bad they usually start with something breaking and costing you more than it should in parts and labor. But hey, hide is the cheapest thing on the ranch, right? You always do seem to persevere and sort it out, usually. I think you might owe us the final story on the backhoe lift leg hydraulic hose protection, just a soon a you whoop that quandary’s butt.

I should dye my HST fluid too. Seems like it’s saved you more than once, being able to see the “blood”. Did you say the dye was a JD product?

I hear you on being able to see stuff. It’s either too close to be able to focus on it or too damn far to be able to see clearly. Probably the most regularly frustrating part of my wrenching experience in the last 15ish years.

Get you a two digit M, that way you’ll get more clearance for the brush you’re slaying and for you to get access under it. My midsized L still allows me to get there. The little B, not so much.

Thanks for the compliment.

@Flintknapper already posted it, but that is the same JD stuff I use. It really makes checking the fluid level a snap.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
It's good to know I'm not the only one that has an apparently simple task turn into a week long "but first I gotta" marathon.

Great tip on the funnel too, I ordered one.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I do love a happy ending,,, with a few laffs threw in,,

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Where the heck did you get that funnel? I want one!

I have a similar fxn ancient flexible metal one I have dedicated to trans fluid only... Has to be 40+ y/o

BTW - I feel your pain on this job ;)
Funnel source ???.....Me TOO!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah play stupid games and win stupid prizes

kinda like the local lady, was using the tractor to move rocks out of a trail. Somehow she got throwed off of the tractor and got run over. Seat switch bypassed. This is exactly why I do not, and will not tell a single person how to bypass safety switches. Last thing I want anyone to do is get hurt!

Kinda like running with scissors....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Really Enjoyed this Thread… Thanks RWS.