Blown Valve-Kubota 7100 Snow Plow

Sideofabarn

Equipment
B7100
Jul 29, 2015
parkton, MD
I'm very new to hydrualics-first tractor with hydraulics.

Finally got my new-to-me snow plow hooked up and within two minutes had oil all over the garage.

Had the tractor at half throttle and was checking the 4-way plow for movement (luckily nothing binded). When I picked the blade all the way up to max lift the valve broke off the front of the 4-way controller. I don't fully understand the inner-workings of the valve so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it.

One observation-the up/down portion is controlled by the lever closest to the tractor-that was the function I was operating when it blew. The valve that blew is off the side-to-side function which I was NOT operating?

I'm sure I can fix it but I'm focused on better understanding why this happened. I just don't want it to happen again after I fix it.

Also, are these universal hydraulic components that I can get at most stores?

Thanks in advance for you help

Attachments

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I believe that's the float detent you blew off the spool, but I couldn't give you a reason how it blew. I do believe it can be rebuilt wether by you or a hydraulic shop. It may be worth throwing a new 2 spool, one with float, on the old beast. Always thought of throwing a loader valve on mine once it craps out.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello

I would think you have pressure hose and the return hose reversed.
Good Luck Lance

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 you have something hooked up wrong, probably a reverse hook up of the feed and return.
#2 you really need to replace the lines.
#3 replace the valve, on that old of a unit it would be a wise upgrade.

Sideofabarn

Equipment
B7100
Jul 29, 2015
parkton, MD
Thanks for the info.

The unit is powered by the block on the right side of the tractor. I've included a pic (I removed it when the valve blew but it was connected at the time). Is there a direction to mount hoses on a block like that?

I'm definitely going to replace all of the hoses-I was just mounting it for the first time to make sure everything was installed properly.

Any recommendations on a new 2-way spool? I'd love to have the float function on the up/down direction.

Attachments

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
The hose on the right in your picture is the feed (pressure) line. The one on the left is the return from the valve.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is one valve that will work for it
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...LVOIL-SDM102-JOYSTICK-LOADER-VALVE-9-8583.axd

Key point on a new valve, must be open center type.
You really don't want regen (make bucket dump faster) as it will mess with operations on the plow (must push lever way over for one direction of angle adjust to work).
You flow rate is very low, probably in the 3 to 4 GPM range so the closer you can get a valve to it (like 5 GPM is perfect) the better it will work, but higher won't hurt it.
Your pressures are very low, probably in the 1200PSI range so a new valve will handle it fine.

Sideofabarn

Equipment
B7100
Jul 29, 2015
parkton, MD
Thanks for all the info everyone-I feel like we are making progress.

Just got back from work and I looked at the valves to see if I hooked up the pressure and return lines wrong. Unfortunately I can't see markings that indicate the pressure and return side on the valve. I took a pic of the valve and labeled how I had it attached to the hoses.

1) is the side closest to the tractor-I had the "pressure" hose from the block (the hose closest to the front of the tractor on the block).

2) is the up/down ram lines

3) is the left/right ram lines

4) I had this connected to the "return" hose to the block (the hose closest to the back of the tractor on the block).

Wolfman-can I still use the joystick style of valve on a snow blade-it's not a FEL but I'm open to it if you think the action would be easier to control with a joystick. The current valve has two levers

Thanks

Attachments

Sideofabarn

Equipment
B7100
Jul 29, 2015
parkton, MD
I definitely had the supply and return line backwards then. I had the pressure line on #1 and the return on #4.

I guess that is the root-cause to my problem. Is there some type of pressure limiter in this valve? I'm trying to understand why it's directional.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes a single handle valve will work just as well if not better, as you can control both movements at one time with one hand. ;)

Sideofabarn

Equipment
B7100
Jul 29, 2015
parkton, MD
Went down to my local Kubota dealer, Messick's, and talked to them. Confirmed that I hooked up the pressure and drain side correctly. The pressure regulator needs to be on the pressure side or you over-pressure the unit. We spent 45 minutes looking for the parts I needed but we could not find.

Wolfman-I really like the idea of one joystick so I ordered the unit you suggested. I will send pics when it's mounted.

Thanks for the help.