block heater

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan
As a born and raised Michigan Farm boy I can say for a fact we didn't have engine block heaters while I was growing up. We had a real good system when the tractors and trucks would not start. For the tractors that were parked in the dirt floor shed we made a fire in a chunk of 55 gallon drum and slid it under the tractor for a few hours and bought eather by the frigin case. For the trucks and tractors parked in the barn where fire was a danger we would some times drain the oil and heat it in the shop and pour it back into the crank case. But most times waited for the fire to warm a tractor and spray enough starting fulid to start then tow any thing else we wanted to start.

As soon as some one started making block heaters, block heaters or other wise it made out life way easier.

Who ever thinks Troll land Michigan doesn't get cold it full of manure. We have set records in the last few days on how cold it is.

My Kubota L3301 did start barly at 4 below on Tuesday. Didn't even try on Wednesday because I didn't need it.
Then at 16 Below on Thursday it refused to start. My Ford 5000 has a block heater so I pluged it in for 45 minutes and used it.

I am going to install a block heater in my L3301 and never worry about a cold engine no start again. I can even plug it in the Gen set if we have no power.

By the way I am 71 years old so have not just lived during Michigans milder weather of the 70's thru presant.

:D Al

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
The last few days made me glad I have a block heater. Didn't use it one day, subzero, and it had a time starting, other days turned it on and the difference was obvious. Now even more of a believer, the dealer here does it automatically and does not charge or at least it is not a line item.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Just a stones throw south of ya yooper and I put a block heater in my 2650 prior to the start of last winter. I have it plugged into a WiFi plug in the shed. I turn it on a couple hours prior to needing it and it starts right up without glow plugs and usually registers 1 bar on the temp gauge. Its never not started even without the bock heater... But it sure does start easier with it...

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Don't have to pre heat. Got it, modern diesel engines are amazing. For myself, once below mid 20's or so, I'd no more not plug in then I'd leave my dog out all night. I didn't even know it was up for discussion that plugging in when cold makes life easier, or not, for the engine. My ears tell me it does! Ordering a block heater tonight for my L3301. And adapter.

A quick aside:I just did my first/50 hour oil change, without bothering to read up on it. How hard could it be? Been wrenching all my life......long story short, I ALMOST got suckered in by the two drain plug thing, interesting design, i don't recall any other ICE with TWO drains, now I know.
A lot of Ford V8 engines also use 2 drain plugs.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
How long should you leave the block heater plugged in for.

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan
I have never seen a V8 ford with 2 oil pan drain plugs. But I have only delt with the old 292 series the 300 6 cylinders and the 332,352,390,428 and 429 series.

I plug my ford 5000 in for about a hour to an hour and a half when I am going to start it in the winter. But I have pluged it in for just 30 mintues when i had not planed on useing it and needed to start it.

:D Al

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My 730 Case (used for putting out round bales) is plugged into a timer which is powering the block heater and 1 amp charger. It's set in cold weather for 2 hrs. So the engine gets warmed up and the battery charged even if I don't need it.

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
I plug my in for 2 or more hours. That way I got warm air in my cab too. We have had 9 days of below -0' here in Vermont. These block heater work great. I have had these since 1969 in my JD 4020.

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I have a block heater installed on my B series and having tested the power consumption at approx 300 watts I wondered how long it should run.

These things are related to ambient temp as previously noted and also coolant volume.

I can across this interesting article and post a link. It shows the 2 most common heaters 300 and 800 watts and are tested on a 1-liter car engine not that different to the small diesel lots of us run.

It states 1.5 to 2 hours is optimum anything longer is a waste.

Read this over and decide for your self. I hope it offers some insight.

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/block-heater-how-long-to-plug-in.htm

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know 2 hrs on my powerstroke will get it warm enough to start without any issues. It takes 3 - 4 hrs to get it as warm as the heater will make it.

Mezna1

Equipment
F2560
Sep 22, 2019
Swartz Creek, MI
New to forum, looking for info on block heater for my F2560 diesel 4WD tractor. Searched this forum and entire web, and found nothing. Any help would be appreciated!