Block Heater Question

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I just recently had a block heater installed by the dealer on my L3560HSTC and was wondering about using it. The dealer said to set a plug in timer for it and just set it to warm up before I will be using it. My neighbor has a Skidsteer and he said just plug it in and leave it that way until I need to use it then unplug it and go. I'm sure it will use less electricity on a timer, but will it burn out or hurt anything if I leave it plugged in during cold weather?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just recently had a block heater installed by the dealer on my L3560HSTC and was wondering about using it. The dealer said to set a plug in timer for it and just set it to warm up before I will be using it. My neighbor has a Skidsteer and he said just plug it in and leave it that way until I need to use it then unplug it and go. I'm sure it will use less electricity on a timer, but will it burn out or hurt anything if I leave it plugged in during cold weather?
I would not use it ....unless you plan on USING the tractor - much like an old style light bulb, the more you use it, the more likely it will burn out.

There are remote on/off timers that you can use - and several people here have them in their sheds. Plug in the heat and a small light (to see if on) in the the remote control, and from inside you house click the button and the light and the heater will come on!

here is one example :

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555W...0411002&sr=1-5&keywords=remote+control+outlet

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
It's wasting up to 10 cents every 3 hours it stays plugged in when you know you aren't going to be using it.

I have an out side receptacle on a heavy duty switch for the block heater. It's actually a detected 20 amp circuit on 12ga wire I intended for it to run a block heater and a little space heater.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Thanks 85Hokie, I never even thought of a remote outlet, or even realized they had one with a remote. I'll look around, some of the reviews on the one you showed a link to had varying results for distance. I do need about 60 or 70 ft. range.

hugho

Apr 27, 2012
jackson wy usa
We have timers on all our trucks and tractors. WE run them about2 hrs before we need it. You have to buy a timer rated for higher amperage, not a lamp timer. We get them from the local farm supply place and I think they are rated for 1300 watts. most block htrs are 400-600.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Thanks Stmar, I put the unit mentioned on my wish list. I did order a Westinghouse remote outlet and will try that first, if that works, then my ten bucks was worth it. We'll see.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
For what it's worth, my L3901 has a block heater and my dealerships service department cautioned me on just plugging it in and leaving on indefinitely. He said he has serviced a few tractors where the solder in the heater had melted creating a coolant leak. His theory was the heater was plugged in continuously, he cautioned me to only run it for a couple of hours before running the tractor. I'll heed his advice.