Block Heater for really cold places?

miro

Equipment
snow blower
Feb 23, 2014
toronto
HI - just got a B5100 with snow blower.
The machine will be in a garage, but not heated.
And in this area the temperatures will got down to minus 20F
I have a block heater on the big tractor ( Massey30) that stays outside under a tarp.
Any suggestions for a block or oil pan heater for the new little tractor?
I bought the B5100 for the snow blower and expect to be using it a lot this winter.

Thanks.
M

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Last edited:

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
I plowed snow with my L245DT at work. Used a small magnet type heater that stuck under the engine. Covered with a Tarp it started at -5 degrees one time . Not good for me or the tractor. Allowed it to run and warm up enough to put it inside the shop. Rear 3pt hyd. really did not like the weather. When it is stupid cold out I only did drifts and the main drives in and out of the lots. Once the sun came out it was a nice 15 degree day.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I've had excellent results with a lower radiator hose heater by Katz (Five Star Mfg out of Tennessee).

Run it about two hours before use (heavy duty timer) or in coldest weather leave energized all the time. Ours seem to stabilize regarding temperature at about the two hour mark. Depends of inside/outside/wind/moisture.

Use also a battery maintainer (Schumacher for example) plugged in continuously. Battery life will be extended significantly. We keep our maintainers running continuously from September into April depending on current weather. Tractors are plugged in any time they're not running.

-10F is about as cold as it gets and using this process I consistently get hot fast starts. My dashboard glow plug indicator at -10F will 'light' for about 2 seconds at the longest and often cycles about as fast as I turn the key.

Remember to let your hydraulic fluid warm up by circulating before heavy use.

Please post back your experiences so we may all continue to learn.

BXman98

Equipment
Kubota BX2370 MMM rear blade
Oct 20, 2014
St.Albans VT
HI - just got a B5100 with snow blower.
The machine will be in a garage, but not heated.
And in this area the temperatures will got down to minus 20F
I have a block heater on the big tractor ( Massey30) that stays outside under a tarp.
Any suggestions for a block or oil pan heater for the new little tractor?
I bought the B5100 for the snow blower and expect to be using it a lot this winter.

Thanks.
M
You might want to talk to your dealer if you don't already have a heater for the block or oil pan. The heater will save your "life" during the winter

Icebota

Equipment
B7100
Aug 22, 2011
United States
I run my B7100D as low as -40F with a battery tender and one of those water line heaters that go in the radiator hose. The tractor is parked in an unheated greenhouse type shed and starts every time. The heaters come in a plethora of sizes and are clamped in line with the hose. A utility knife and a screwdriver are all the tools needed and you don't have to fight with a hard to reach freeze plug.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Ideas that I have worked out over the last few years and two different Bota's

The factory block heater works really well
The factory block heater costs a damn fortune to run all winter
A Freeze cube doesn't cut it for off/on
A long distance remote power switch works great
The engine being warm doesn't help the Hydraulic fluid
I have 4 things plugged into the remote power strip
1. A night light to confirm the power is on from the warm kitchen while I make a pot of coffee
2. The block heater
3. Two of the Magnetic heaters attached to the Hydraulic pans

So I get up go start the coffee, hit the remote and the little light comes on out in the Pole Barn on the tractor.. now I know the heaters are on..
Coffee is made, I have a cup, then go change into warm clothes, walk out to the tractor and fire it up.. Go back inside and have a second cup, hit the head then put on hat, gloves, and boots and start blowing snow...

This routine seems to work :)

I tried a couple of the remotes most work at 1/2 the advertised range, this is the only one I found that really does work at the 150 feet I need it to

http://www.amazon.com/HW2190-Heavy-...eless+power+outlet#product-description-iframe

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
My buddie had a f350 that was impossible to start on the really cold days (block heater was shorted out and he never fixed it :rolleyes:). We learned a trick from a friend that owns a lot of heavy equipment. Take a large tarp, drape it over the machine, throw some weight on the tarp, and throw a topedo heater under the tarp. In a few mins that tarp turns into a hot air balloon and warms that machine right up. Just don't sit under the tarp while it warming :D. That will help you guys in the frozen tundras with ice cold hydraulic fluid.

I have a radiator hose heater, in about 20 minutes it's warmed right up. Once the engine warms up from running I turn the PTO on at low RPMs and let the blower spin to warm up the hydraulic fluid. It hasn't been that cold here yet to really cause any problems.....