BH92 Fang

More Rocks

Equipment
L4400
Jun 23, 2015
Bainbridge Island
Hi:

I'm looking at trenching in 500 ft lengths of 1" poly pipe for fiber with a L4400. I've seen fang/rippers for other models but nary a one for a BH92.

I've seen some people have made, and if need be, we'll do that. So seeking advice from other buyers/builders.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi:

I'm looking at trenching in 500 ft lengths of 1" poly pipe for fiber with a L4400. I've seen fang/rippers for other models but nary a one for a BH92.

I've seen some people have made, and if need be, we'll do that. So seeking advice from other buyers/builders.
Rocks,

IF this is the only thing you wish to bury - ......

I would rent a "ditch-witch" for the day, it will take you about 4 hours to dig that trench - (that is no rock or BA roots) and cost about a buck and a half depending on where you rent it. There is a 3 point attachment that will do it all for you - but unless you plan on using it a lot - renting is the way to go in MHO.:)

the ripper claws and other devices are available for Back hoes.....models I am not sure what is what, but the cost starts at 500 and moves up quickly.

here is something like you might want :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ntj0YLrcng

More Rocks

Equipment
L4400
Jun 23, 2015
Bainbridge Island
We need the reach of the hoe; otherwise we end up driving over the owner's ...boss's [SWHBO] garden. And have some other tight quarters as well.

Plan B would be a hydraulic trencher on the end of the BH92; never seen one of those, either.

We know trenchers too well. At his last house, we put in 1400 ft of 4" PVC for 3ø power, and 1000 ft of HDPE for H2O, communications and misc. local power needs. Some of this involved pulling the Ditch Witch up a 35 degree slope with a winch on a single-axle dump.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Most guys I see use the 3 point hitch and get a narrow bladed middle buster, weld on a steel pipe sweep to the back of it and some kind of reel holder above it. Then you just drop and run with it. Doesn't work in rocky soil unless you're working a Cat D9 or equivalent!

Cost ends up in the $300 range if you already have all the stuff. The middle buster can still be used normally too.

If it's a one-time use, you can just rent a unit that does the same thing.