BH dropping

albertcaballero

Equipment
B3200 w/FEL, 3rd function, shredder, Box Blade, ssqa HD25 Post hole and Grapple.
Apr 19, 2012
Leming, Texas
I almost never use by BH77 but i had a small job that came up. After I got started the bottom arm" the big arm" or I think they call it the dipper stick. Hell i don't know what to call it. But it lowers itself without me doing anything. I have to keep pulling the lever back to keep it up. I think it might be a bad cyclinder because to keep it at one point where it wont move up or down it sounds like fluid is running.Any ideas?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I almost never use by BH77 but i had a small job that came up. After I got started the bottom arm" the big arm" or I think they call it the dipper stick. Hell i don't know what to call it. But it lowers itself without me doing anything. I have to keep pulling the lever back to keep it up. I think it might be a bad cyclinder because to keep it at one point where it wont move up or down it sounds like fluid is running.Any ideas?
The "boom" is the part that is attached to the tractor - when retracted, typically is vertical, the "stick" or dipper stick is the one that connects the boom to the bucket.......typically called boom and stick for short........

sounds like you are right on with the cylinder that needs a rebuild, sounds like fluid is leaking by thus causing the drop. Taking it off should not be a PITA - do you have anyone local that rebuilds them? You can do it yourself too.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Normally if it's bypassing fluid in the cylinder it won't have any power. Could be in the control valve it'self.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Normally if it's bypassing fluid in the cylinder it won't have any power. Could be in the control valve it'self.
I thought about that too - but since he can adjust it with a little lever pull, that says that the flow is still there, the gravity of the "stick" is allowing the fluid to ooze by and when pressure is applied the fluid cannot leak as fast so there is still movement ......then again - like you said - might need some tweaking in the valve body!

nav0239

Equipment
B6000, B219 loader, 619B backhoe
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
It could be simply that the oil has all drain back from the cylinder if you have not used it for a long time. Mine did same thing. If that's the case, you just need to fully cycle it a few times (you will have to find a deep hole/edge or somewhere to fully cycle the cylinder. See if that fixes it.

albertcaballero

Equipment
B3200 w/FEL, 3rd function, shredder, Box Blade, ssqa HD25 Post hole and Grapple.
Apr 19, 2012
Leming, Texas
I will try checking the vavle control but what am I looking for? I have never missed with that before. I will aslo try to fully extend it.

Kanook

Equipment
Kubota B2650HSDC Kubota RTV900
Jun 29, 2015
Almonte, Ontario
I fully extended the the BH and still doing the same thing.
If they are long enough, try swapping the hoses on the cylinder (and remember the stik will operate back ass ward). If it still behaves the same, the cyl is likely the cause. On mine (Wallenstein) it is easier to swap at the control valve end. I had a similar problem that ended up being air in the line and I backed off the nut connecting the hose to the cyl (just enough to allow a little leakage)and slowly worked the joy stik until the bubbles stopped and only clear hyd fluid was leaking...kinda like bleeding brakes....You wouldn't have a leak in one of the connectors???Curious what you eventually find.....Good luck!

Last edited: