best welding method for wheel repair.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Rob.at one time, I had several L-35 TLB. The rear wheels had a problem with splitting in and around the lug holes. I did about the same as you. I had the local machine shop cut a round piece out of 1/2 inch steel that matched the center hole ands the lug bolts. I had to find longer lug bolts, obviously. For a time, I kept some of these in stock. When one split I only had to have one welded on. A few of these machines are still in the area and doing fine. I was told that you had to be careful as to how they were welded in that doing it the wrong way could further weaken the wheel itself. I know nothing about welding so I had a pro do it.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
well guys , almost 18 months have passed since my wheel fix and I can report that my repairs have been 100% successful.
I've done some pretty heavy duty work on the l225 since the repairs and a run up a lot of hours on them and they are as good as new still, no signs of fatigue or stress on the weld etc, so touch wood they will be good for a few years to come.

thanks for the advise guys it work out just right.

rob

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Just remember to take the tires off, before welding on a rim. The heat from welding starts a process called pyrolysis in tires, and once started, there is no escape, the tire basically starts burning on the inside, building heat and pressure. Even removing the valve core on the rim won't effectively stop, once you feel the tire get hot...

https://youtu.be/HiLeji8bLOk