best way to cut around pond

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
I have seen several man made lakes around here as a result of gravel mining etc. They often deal with banks just like in your pictures. Many of them take a little is best approach. They will have someone with a dozer come in and flatten or lower the angle of two or three spots that would meet the needs of access, family picnic areas, etc. The rest of the pond is left natural to allow the wildlife to use it and the fish to have shade along the shore. I know nothing of your regs so if you think about this option, do research the requirements of your local environmental arm of the government. Here, when working around water bigger than 1 acre I believe, permits are required. Yes, even on man made lakes on private land.

One thing to check out with the sheep and goats, I know little of anything about their upkeep but do check with your extension and find out the impact of their waste products on your pond. Manure of all kinds can lead to algae issues in bodies of water of all sizes. I am certain the number of animals has a huge impact on this issue. If only one or two are required, they produce a certain amount of waste that can be washed into the pond during rain or spring run off. If 10 or 12 are required, obviously the impact increases greatly. Those who raise the sheep and goats might be able to help you with how many animals it would take to practically keep it short. Of course, there is also the cost of fence around a 5 acre pond. Around here, we fight the waste products of ducks on the beaches. Ecoli problems making beaches unsafe for swimming per the powers that be. Take it for what it is. For the record, I am not condemning or condoning any of the options, just pointing out your need for research on each option.

All of that said, I am jealous of your problem. Would love to have it. Enjoy it with your family no matter what your decision.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I have seen several man made lakes around here as a result of gravel mining etc. They often deal with banks just like in your pictures. Many of them take a little is best approach. They will have someone with a dozer come in and flatten or lower the angle of two or three spots that would meet the needs of access, family picnic areas, etc. The rest of the pond is left natural to allow the wildlife to use it and the fish to have shade along the shore. I know nothing of your regs so if you think about this option, do research the requirements of your local environmental arm of the government. Here, when working around water bigger than 1 acre I believe, permits are required. Yes, even on man made lakes on private land.

One thing to check out with the sheep and goats, I know little of anything about their upkeep but do check with your extension and find out the impact of their waste products on your pond. Manure of all kinds can lead to algae issues in bodies of water of all sizes. I am certain the number of animals has a huge impact on this issue. If only one or two are required, they produce a certain amount of waste that can be washed into the pond during rain or spring run off. If 10 or 12 are required, obviously the impact increases greatly. Those who raise the sheep and goats might be able to help you with how many animals it would take to practically keep it short. Of course, there is also the cost of fence around a 5 acre pond. Around here, we fight the waste products of ducks on the beaches. Ecoli problems making beaches unsafe for swimming per the powers that be. Take it for what it is. For the record, I am not condemning or condoning any of the options, just pointing out your need for research on each option.

All of that said, I am jealous of your problem. Would love to have it. Enjoy it with your family no matter what your decision.
You got some good points about waste and natural growth.

Fencing the whole 5 acres not necessary though.... least the rental groups don't fence off a whole area. They use temporary fence for a small area. Daily or weekly they rotate the fence to a new location on the site till the whole job is completed.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you're thinking on fencing run one or maybe two strands of hot wire around it. Use a solar charger if power is a problem and turn the goats in or whatever your thinking about.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
There are some pretty heavy duty walk behind mowers like this one:

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipm...5hp-premier-b-s-ms-24in-deck-new-50st-epa.axd

You may be able to rent one and do the bank when needed instead of buying?
Now I should have thought of them. My brother has something simile but larger that he uses where it is too steep for a tractor. His is older than dirt and looks like it but does a great job. He got his used for almost nothing many years ago. Unless you could got a great deal on one, using it a couple times a year I would rent one. You could rent one for many years before you cover the cost of buying one new - not including maintenance.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Spend $5 on an angle gauge, put it on a 2x4 place 2x4 on ground, measure the angle, pop a picture, and post here...:D