Best way to clean Radiator?

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
My B7100 (purchased used) came with a factory, very fine mesh radiator screen attached to the hood, which I've always kept clean on the outside. The Engine side is picture perfect clean.

While doing some engine maintenance today, I realized that screen is easily removable, and this is what greeted me. Fortunately I've never had an over heating issue.

What's the best way to clean this out?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
compressed air from the fan side out.....then if the chafe is sooooo compacted - then you will need to get in there with some old fashion water hose! Pressure washer might be too strong unless you can control the distance!;):)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
At home I use a garden hose and adjust the nozzle so it doesn't bend the fins. I usually mix up some dawn dish soap in the garden sprayer and give it a good soaking first.

Compressed air works really good for dry dust and chaffe. If it's covered in oil or coolant, then a decreaser and water.

At work I use the pressure washer. BUT!!!! It has a wand that has adjustable pressure. So I can back the pressure way off. Pay attention to the tip. You DO NOT want to use the "0" (red)tip. Minimum of the "15" (yellow) with pressure way down. Start off at a good distance and pay close attention so you avoid damage. Pressure washer does a great job, but it also has a diesel burner to heat the water :D

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I assume your picture was a no show. I keep a bottle brush, in the toolbox er ammo can, for daily cleaning, since I use the junkubota almost exclusively for bush hogging. If I notice it overheating or blowing fluid, then I take the screen off, and clean from behind with a cheap electric power washer. Just don't go overboard, with a high pressure cleaning...:D:D

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Thanks guys.

Are the factory radiator fins made of aluminum or copper?

The reason I ask is, because I've been researching the subject and have come across some that recommend alkali based foaming cleaners such as Nu-Bright coil and condenser cleaner, apply for 10 minutes to be followed by thorough rinsing (youtube video shows impressive results in cleaning the fins).

I know alkali cleaners are not good on aluminum.

Dyidave, is the photo I posted not showing for you?

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would stick with Simple Green as the cleaner of choice for most things on the tractor. Unlike many cleaners, it isn't harsh, and it does a great job no matter what type of cleaning you are doing. It won't remove paint, but it will dissolve grease and grime.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
As they said, air from the fan side to blow the junk out away from the engine. I was having trouble getting the air nozzle into position so I made an extension from a piece of 1/4" OD soft copper. The end is pinched shut and there's a small saw kerf in the side so the air comes out at a right angle. It reaches almost everywhere that way.

Attachments

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Thanks guys.

Are the factory radiator fins made of aluminum or copper?

The reason I ask is, because I've been researching the subject and have come across some that recommend alkali based foaming cleaners such as Nu-Bright coil and condenser cleaner, apply for 10 minutes to be followed by thorough rinsing (youtube video shows impressive results in cleaning the fins).

I know alkali cleaners are not good on aluminum.

Dyidave, is the photo I posted not showing for you?

I don't see no pix....:D:D

comfun1

Equipment
b7100 with 1630c loader
Jul 28, 2015
Independence
I had my radiator out a couple of weeks ago and it looked just like yours (covered in dirt I mean). So, while it was out I leaned it against a tree and used the hose on it. While I had it there I decided to flush the inside. I was surprised at the nasty looking solution that came out. When I was done I filled it with a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze solution. The only anti-freeze I had at the time was pink. I don't remember what kind of car it was for but I'm hoping it's ok for the Kubota.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Pink coolant is usually some form of long life. Mopar coolant is not my favorite after an interesting experience this summer. image.jpg

Entire rad was blocked.

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Last edited:

comfun1

Equipment
b7100 with 1630c loader
Jul 28, 2015