Best Orange Paint for Snowblower?

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Have a BX2816 snowblower for my BX2380. With this huge dump in the PacNW I finally got to use the thing. While it worked like a champ and I"m the new best neighbor...... I got into a little bit of rocks which chipped some paint off both the augers, impeller and most of all impeller housing. I want to make sure to paint up those exposed metal parts to avoid rust....and keep things looking and operating like new. So with that..what is the best (kubota orange) paint to use to prevent rust and that will last? Also what is the best method to apply? Ive never really painted anything other than walls before. do i need to sand down..primer then coat with several layers of paint....then maybe paint a clear coat on?

Also....is it easy to disassemble/reassemble the snowblower parts for easier access? That kind of scares me but if it's no big deal and fits back together in no time I might consider it. Any pointers would be appreciated!

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Reactions: 1 user

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
Have a BX2816 snowblower for my BX2380. With this huge dump in the PacNW I finally got to use the thing. While it worked like a champ and I"m the new best neighbor...... I got into a little bit of rocks which chipped some paint off both the augers, impeller and most of all impeller housing. I want to make sure to paint up those exposed metal parts to avoid rust....and keep things looking and operating like new. So with that..what is the best (kubota orange) paint to use to prevent rust and that will last? Also what is the best method to apply? Ive never really painted anything other than walls before. do i need to sand down..primer then coat with several layers of paint....then maybe paint a clear coat on?

Also....is it easy to disassemble/reassemble the snowblower parts for easier access? That kind of scares me but if it's no big deal and fits back together in no time I might consider it. Any pointers would be appreciated!
I bought a rattle can of Kubota paint (Part # 7000073713) for my BX2755HD blower. I just replaced the auger gearbox and the thing came from Kubota bare metal. I'll let you know how it turns out when I paint it. I'm going to hit it with some primer first - which is something I don't think Kubota does to their snow blowers ... mine is flaking badly and I see no evidence of primer anywhere.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I too would second the Rustoleum Farm and Implement paint. It seems spot on for color match. However, I also was concerned about removing the paint because of rocks and gravel. What I found is that no matter what I tried I could not keep from throwing stones. I didn't try to repaint as I knew it would quickly be removed again. My chute and fan area are nice and clean shiny metal and even though I thought it would rust over the off season, it doesnt. So I save the cost of paint, and have more time to worry about other stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I agree with Deepwoods. I had a Normand blower that was painted red, not Kubota orange. Every time I used it, no matter how careful I tried to be, I ended up launching some rocks. The fan area of the chute looked bright and shiny after every storm. I just got a spray can of cooking oil (Pam) and after it dried off I would soak it. In the spring I painted it flat black which lasted awesome - until the next winter.

The addition benefit of spray oil it helps avoid snow sticking to the discharge chute.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Check Post #10 below:

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
As stated, I will say the Rustoleum is a good match.

However, realize that this will be temporary!! Use of a snowblower will cause paint to be "lost" during normal use unless you have zero foreign objects go through it.

I will use Fluid Film on all the areas that get snow movement over them- auger, fan, inside the housing, chute, etc. This will minimize rust and build up a slick layer to minimize snow clogging.

Maybe at the end of the season I might paint the bare metal, but I know it will only last until my first use the next season.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Thanks for all the info. I'm thinking just paint over the spots until the season is over then maybe do some "end of season" coat to keep things layered and rust free. Should help with the longevity. I need to buy paint for my mower deck as well so this should cover both things!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I use spray grease or fluid film at the end of the season...paint will never survive the season, especially if you have a gravel drive.

If I wanted to add more paint I'd go with a high solids black paint, orange paint just never seems to be durable or color fast.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It isn't difficult to take the snowblower apart, but it is time consuming to do. You also need a lot of tools to do the job properly. Your snowblower is powder coated, not painted, and it is important to clean and get a good base on the bare metal, because once water gets behind powder coat, it will rust and the powder coat will hide the rust, until something caused the layer of powder coat to come off. I would use the abrasive small abrasive pads that go into a air operated grinder to clean it up well, use some metal etching primer, and top coat with the paint of your choice. I woulnd't worry about any overspray, because it will blend in eventually.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I will second the use of the fluid film. Doesn't make it pretty, but it prevents the rust for sure. Side benefit, it lessens the snow from sticking as well. I get 3 pack spray cans from Amazon at decent price.