Best grease for all fittings?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Hey guys what is the best grease to use for all the loader grease fittings?
The best grease is the grease you use. Not trying to be funny...just get some grease in those Zerks and pins on a regular basis.

You'd be surprised at how seldom some tractors get greased.

I've tried Chevron (red) and Tractor Supply Premium (red and less expensive).

The black stuff seems to get everywhere and is hard to get off. It is cheaper than the red. That stuff is used for disc bearings or anywhere that takes lots of grease.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i have a couple slick-50 '1' grease tubes left. it's water resistant and has the teflon in it, which is supposed to reduce friction, compared to normal grease. has a red base to it… it does last longer on utility and boat trailers, made my old truck steer easier. so i guess it's o.k. haven't been able to find it in the stores for a while now. and it's almost time to buy a box full again...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I bought a case of general purpose grease from Napa a few years ago and I've been please with their grease over all. And I use it on everything that requires greasing.

My dad always drilled into my head when I was a kid "grease is cheap, parts are expensive" Just make sure you keep up with greasing.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I, too, am in the "the grease you use is the best grease" camp. I bought a box of (26) tubes & cans of assorted greases years ago for 25 cents each. Over the years I have used several different types on several different applications, and I find no major advantages or disadvantages in any of them, with the exception stated above about red (or blue) greases being easier to see & therefore keep greased areas clean.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use synthetic grease with moly. Water doesn't wash it out and it stays where you put it. My loader tractor gets used almost every day and I only have to grease it 4 or 5 times a year. There is a difference in grease and you get what you pay for.

The cost of one pin will pay for a case of good grease. The expense of having a boom welded up and line bored will cost more than all the grease you will use in a life time. Save time and money, use quality lubricants.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I use synthetic grease with moly. Water doesn't wash it out and it stays where you put it. My loader tractor gets used almost every day and I only have to grease it 4 or 5 times a year. There is a difference in grease and you get what you pay for.
The cost of one pin will pay for a case of good grease. The expense of having a boom welded up and line bored will cost more than all the grease you will use in a life time. Save time and money, use quality lubricants.
Undoubtably true on a new or virtually new tractor..... but high dollar synthetics would be wasted on an already worn, neglected beater like mine.
Previous owner neglect is hell.:mad:

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States

bulldog does Amsoil make grease?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Hey, I almost forgot- my dealer has Kubota brand grease, $33 per tube, & it's not even synthetic.:eek:

andre53

Equipment
GR2120, 54" Mower, GR2728 Snowblower
Jun 30, 2012
East Aurora, NY
I agree with the grease often approach. The only thing I would add is that you should be consistent in the type of grease you use (i.e. Lithium base, clay based, etc) as not all greases are compatible. Below is a link to a handy compatibility chart for greases.

If you do change the base type of grease you use in an application, do your best to purge as much of the old stuff out.

http://www.finalube.com/reference_material/grease_compatibility_chart.htm

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
This is from an old thread on the same subject, relating to keeping the greased joints clean:
Agreed. And wipe off the excess grease..... the PO of my tractor was fanatical about keeping it well greased, but he never wiped off any of the old grease that is squeezed out. Years of this resulted in a 5" ball of fresh & dried grease, dirt, leaves, sticks, and the ocassional dead possum balled up around every greaseable joint. I spent many hours disassembling them & cleaning with solvents, putty knife, & scrapers to finally get them clean.
PITA.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36763#post36763

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I keep 2 grease guns charged. One with synthetic and one with "red". I prefer synthetic for most but I use the red on things less costly or less critical.
And I agree, grease that isn't IN the fitting is extra and should be cleaned off. Having layers of cruddy grease and dirt and sand all congealed together is not desirable.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
bulldog does Amsoil make grease?
Yes, Amsoil makes really good grease. Used it for years and been very pleased. The off-road grease NLGI 2 is what I'm using now. It has 5% moly and really stays where you put it.

Last edited:

bweeden

Equipment
BX23
Oct 20, 2012
Barrington NH
Nothing beats texas refinery grease, we have numerous excavators, dozers and loaders, pin wear is significantly reduced since we switched, compare timken load to any grease and you will see the difference.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Nothing beats texas refinery grease, we have numerous excavators, dozers and loaders, pin wear is significantly reduced since we switched, compare timken load to any grease and you will see the difference.
Yeah, but it has a minimum order of a case of 50 (don't know the price). A case went for $430 on eBay. :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Case-50-Tubes-14-Each-TRC-MOLY-880C-C-Grease-80-Timken-Load-NLGI-2-/110969561952?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19d64d2360

It certainly receives good reviews.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Nothing is a strong word.

Amsoil synthetic polymeric off-road grease has 5% moly and the tinken load rating is 75+.

jbeenemd

Equipment
Kubota L185DT
Sep 30, 2012
Sacville, MO
May be overkill but I try to remember and grease my antique woods 59m and L185DT every time I use them. Since I have the grease gun out will throw some at every joint I can find. The red stuff seems to run out too fast, changed over to the stuff with moly in it and it seems to be thicker stay put. Agree with everyone above, whatever grease you decide to go with quality grease is good but you still have to use it often on older equipment like mine.