Bent (frown) leading edge on new 60” bucket

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
but... the 'engineer' specified the type of steel(thickness, grade,etc.) as well as the design.Also HE is the one who is supposed to KNOW how the steel he chose reacts to the welding process. Maybe the bucket material is thinner than the one on my BX23S ? I've beat the beejeebers out of mine for 3 years and it's still straight,The 6' bucket on the D-14(probably 50+ years old) is still straight as well....
Sadly the concrete foundation company BOASTS of USING 'modern technology', including LASERs....
..still trying to figure out why the basement footing aren't continous...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
but... the 'engineer' specified the type of steel(thickness, grade,etc.) as well as the design.Also HE is the one who is supposed to KNOW how the steel he chose reacts to the welding process. Maybe the bucket material is thinner than the one on my BX23S ? I've beat the beejeebers out of mine for 3 years and it's still straight,The 6' bucket on the D-14(probably 50+ years old) is still straight as well....
Sadly the concrete foundation company BOASTS of USING 'modern technology', including LASERs....
..still trying to figure out why the basement footing aren't continous...
The thickness specified by the design-engineer is not what caused the warpage.... the rushed-technique used by the welder did.... likely due to someone in production criticizing delivery-schedules while sitting in an office some distance-away.

Reactions: 1 users

Chuck Woolery

Equipment
2021 Kubota B2601
Jun 4, 2021
Wisconsin
re:

It’s really interesting how we scrutinize new equipment for imperfections, forgetting that it’s a piece of agricultural-equipment and only a matter of time before that bucket will lose that frown from heavy useage.

The bucket should have been designed and built properly, doesn't matter where it's being used, as long as it's not being abused.

The DEFECT is a measurable 1% error, same as the new house build foundataion next door. That shows as a 3" difference in the 25' garage wall. Home owner is 'upset' putting it mildly, so GC had the 'forming crew' cut and remove a 6' x 25' section of the wall( 15,000# of week old concrete),reform and repour a 'patch'.SAME 'little' error on one of the house walls, but the framers 'bodged' that to be 'better'(still 3" out opf square though !!
Were it my BRAND NEW forever house, the ENTIRE build would be demolished and started over from scratch.
In both cases, with today's tech (LASERS,GPS,CNC,computer modelling,etc.) there is NO excuse for substandard parts or assembly.

Yes, it's 'only' a bucket BUT.... where else did the 'engineers' trim 'this or that' ? Say the DPF is onl 99% good, over the lifetime of your use ,that could be 100s of $ in unecessary replacement parts.....,maybe a new engine ?
Like was said before, it's not the Engineer that built it. It's warp from the welding process, very common.

As far as your poured concrete foundation arguement, that is faaaaarrr too common with a poured foundation. Seen it lots of times, we always knew when we got to a build with a poured foundation we'd have to use funny math to frame the house, block foundataions seemed to be better. Generally on every house the foundation is a little off. Contractors don't build houses down to even a 1/32" tolerance, and none of them will tear it all back apart no matter how angry the home owner is.

Bottom line, there's a tolerance in everything for a reason, it's because the Consumer wants it at a lesser price. If you really wanted something as an Engineer wanted to design it you wouldn't be able to afford to buy it.

Reactions: 1 users

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
The blade on you chev truck wears across all of the very bottom. It can't under any normal use get bowed up or down, it just wears off at the cutting edge.

A tractor load is a totally different tool, and can be bent with it's hyd. pressure.
Very good point. Guess that's why they sell separate snow blades for attaching to the tractors.:)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re:
it's not the Engineer that built it. It's warp from the welding process, very common.

Ah, but it's the engineer who specifies HOW the bucket is to be manufactured. If not the 'design' engineer then the 'production build' engineer. In any event 'somehow', 'somewhere' from concept to the customer, the bucket got 'warped' and the customer should NOT have to live with the defective equipment.

As poured foundations not being square or plumbed or true being 'common', that again is sloppy, substandard workmanship. Somehow that's acceptable ?? hmm, go get heart surgey, ...you need 5 stints, would you accept only 4 ?

As for wanting what an engineer designs ? No. Up here 'they' spec/design using sewage pumps to pump out to holding tank, then septic tank then tile bed. ZERO need for the $4000 pump and tank, gravity has worked fine for this neighbourhood for 100+ years........ BELL Engineers designed/installed a 'replacement' communication network 3 deades ago to 'upgrade' my hardware. Test was just 1 client. I told them 'it won't work', 3 days later, hmmm..it didn't work, they sent me a $9800 bill for 'engineering services'. Called accounts payable and told them either bill the 'engineer' or the 'vp-tech'. Bell Canada 'ate ' the invoice.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
re:
it's not the Engineer that built it. It's warp from the welding process, very common.

Ah, but it's the engineer who specifies HOW the bucket is to be manufactured. If not the 'design' engineer then the 'production build' engineer. In any event 'somehow', 'somewhere' from concept to the customer, the bucket got 'warped' and the customer should NOT have to live with the defective equipment.

As poured foundations not being square or plumbed or true being 'common', that again is sloppy, substandard workmanship. Somehow that's acceptable ?? hmm, go get heart surgey, ...you need 5 stints, would you accept only 4 ?

As for wanting what an engineer designs ? No. Up here 'they' spec/design using sewage pumps to pump out to holding tank, then septic tank then tile bed. ZERO need for the $4000 pump and tank, gravity has worked fine for this neighbourhood for 100+ years........ BELL Engineers designed/installed a 'replacement' communication network 3 deades ago to 'upgrade' my hardware. Test was just 1 client. I told them 'it won't work', 3 days later, hmmm..it didn't work, they sent me a $9800 bill for 'engineering services'. Called accounts payable and told them either bill the 'engineer' or the 'vp-tech'. Bell Canada 'ate ' the invoice.
Well...at least you’ve explained why you have a hard-on for engineers... despite the fact it’s not the engineer who caused the problem you have with your cost.
Using YOUR own example: You blame the engineer in your first sentence...then immediately blame the WORKMAN in your foundation-example.

This bucket “frown” is a WORKMANSHIP problem...not an engineering problem. The engineer (neither design NOR production) specified anything but a straight-lipped bucket.
ANY welder worth-his-salt knows that welding a straight edge requires tack-welds, double-seams, and/or jigs to prevent warpage. If you weld a long seam on only ONE side then as the weld COOLS it will SHRINK and WARP.
A hurried single-pass weldment is what put that “frown” on the lip of the bucket.... NOT ANY ENGINEER.... because the engineer did not perform the weld NOR specify the technique of the welder.

(as for your septic system design it makes no difference that for 100 years a gravity system was used in your neighborhood.... if enviromental regulations change OR if a replacment tank is required to meet newer regulations.... then it’s NOT the Engineer who made that regulation...he only designed a system which met the requirement. Doh... you’re only angry at the cost of meeting the new requirement and want to blame the guy who gave you one possible solution. You think you’re a better designer? Then why don’t you produce a better/cheaper system that can meet the regulations?
(As for the 100 years comment: For THOUSANDS of years humans found no need for Septic Systems at all! Why don’t you try doing THAT in your “neighborhood” and see how that works out for you! I.E. It’s not the engineer who changed the “pooping-method-rules” in your neighborhood).

As for the bucket.... install a pair of bucket-forks and pick up something heavy and I promise you can turn that frown into a smile. 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Ok.. not an 'engineer' problem, then gotta blame 'quality control', cause at the end of the day a substandard product, that did not pass the design, 'somehow' got from the manufactuering line, into a warehouse, trucked to a dealer, installed onto a tractor and sold to a client..
Having spent 11 years in Metallurgical and Quality Control, design/build for Canada's largest steel mfr, I know about steel, welding and such...

As for the septic, current regs up here do NOT demand 'pumping stations', it's just 'common practice' for the septic engineers to spec in a high priced system . So far 5 for 5 in the neighbourhood. They also spec that the weeping tile water be brough INTO the house, to the sump pump, then pumped out.....same engineer who OK the spetic, also said a 6" conductor would remove the roadwater after it rains...have 100s of pictures, some from yesterday, that show he was WRONG.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Were the “5 for 5” systems in your neighborhood ...at 5 houses all built by the same builder? Hmmmnnnn....

Yeah.... surely some engineer somewhere forced them install to that system in a neighborhood that didn’t require them... :rolleyes: