Belly mower cutting height adjustment

Mick

Equipment
BX2200, LA211, RCK60B-22BX
Sep 1, 2009
Gretna, NE
The cutting height control on my BX2200 doesn't match the actual blade height. Parked on my concrete (level) shop floor with the cutting height control set to 4", for example, the actual blade to floor distance is only 2.75". Using the mower manual, all of the linkages are set to specifications. Is this normal, or is there another adjustment I'm missing? I can't set the guide wheels to their recommended settings because they would run on the ground and hold the deck up. Is there a way to re-calibrate the cutting height control knob to match the blade height?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
To adjust mower cutting height on any BX tractor you start with adjusting tire pressure to specifications. adjust three point hitch so it is raising as far as it will go without actually hitting top and going over relief (you should be able to lift the arms a little bit by hand when it is adjusted correctly) Then with the three point hitch fully raised you adjust the rod on the top three point hitch arm (right side on a BX2200) until you can easily turn the mower height control to TOP position (if you lower the three point hitch any you shouldn't be able to get it into TOP)
With these linkages adjusted properly you can adjust the mower links(both sides to achieve the correct cutting height. adjust the mower so the front is 1/4 to 3/8 lower then the sides. the wheels shouldn't be touching the ground but they should be close. If you cannot acheive this then look for bent or worn parts.
Ed Service

remoser22

Equipment
BX23
Sep 26, 2010
Leasburg, nc
Re: Belly mower cutting height adjustment and finding the "top" position.

I have a similar problem with my BX23. My mower height control knob will only turn to the # 4 position, and will not go all the way to "top". I want to drop my box blade but keep the mower in the up, highest position as defined by the "top" position.

When I try to use the blade the mower also drops and inhibits the function of the blade.

How do I adjust the mower to go into the "top" position, where I understand it will hold and allow the blade to do it's job better.

Thanks, Robert

manualf150

Equipment
BX2200, 60" MMM, LA211 FEL
Jul 18, 2010
Vernon, NY

On my BX2200, when I bought it, I had to replace the whole mechanism. Luckily it was under warranty, so I got it replaced for free. I was told it is a 3 hour job because of all the stuff that needs to be removed.

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia

I
How do I adjust the mower to go into the "top" position, where I understand it will hold and allow the blade to do it's job better.
This is a set-up problem that many have ( me too ! )and is easy
to fix when you know . Put height on 4" and raise deck to maximum.
Cut engine and jump-off . Above the left rear tyre is the deck-lifter.
It's the same arm assembly as the 3pt-hitch mechanism. You'll
see a bolt and locking nut at the end of this lifter . Slack off the
lock nut half an inch and turn the bolt in ( it's tough since you're
cranking up the 200lb deck by hand here ! ) several turns . You'll
notice the deck is lifting as you go ....... turn to "top" after each
few turns , until it will actually go to "top". Give it a couple of
turns more for good-measure , and then lock the locking nut.
Now the deck will remain suspended when you lower the hitch.
You'll have to raise it all the way up to re-engage the 4"
setting , since it's suspended on the "top" rotary-notch now.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

alyvols

Equipment
BX2670 with a belly mower and howse bush hog.
May 17, 2013
Franklin, TN

Thank you SO much for supplying the photo and the additional information about turning the bolt in. I had read about this adjuster, and wasn't quite sure if I was moving the correct bolt. I then stopped because it was difficult to turn. Now it makes sense!
looking forward to getting off work so I can try this. I have about 8 acres of land that needs bush hogging BAD, and I just didn't want to subject my new belly mower to that!

scooternew

Equipment
BX2670
Mar 19, 2014
Gate City, VA

Thank you for the photo and information, i just got my bx2670 and had the same problem. had it fixed in less than 5 mins.

tml00563

Equipment
BX2370
Apr 5, 2014
Dansville
I just bought a brand new bx2370. I noticed that the right side of the deck is higher than the left side. The right side of the deck is at 3 1/2" and the left side is at 2 3/4". The mower height adjustment knob is at 2 3/4". I tried looking in the book and couldn't find how to fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

davidbham

Equipment
BX2670 w RCK60B mmm and LA243A fel, Kodiak 48" bush hog, 48" box blade
Jan 18, 2011
Whitesburg, TN

This is a set-up problem that many have ( me too ! )and is easy
to fix when you know . Put height on 4" and raise deck to maximum.
Cut engine and jump-off . Above the left rear tyre is the deck-lifter.
It's the same arm assembly as the 3pt-hitch mechanism. You'll
see a bolt and locking nut at the end of this lifter . Slack off the
lock nut half an inch and turn the bolt in ( it's tough since you're
cranking up the 200lb deck by hand here ! ) several turns . You'll
notice the deck is lifting as you go ....... turn to "top" after each
few turns , until it will actually go to "top". Give it a couple of
turns more for good-measure , and then lock the locking nut.
Now the deck will remain suspended when you lower the hitch.
You'll have to raise it all the way up to re-engage the 4"
setting , since it's suspended on the "top" rotary-notch now.
Thanks for the great advice - it solved my problem on getting to "TOP".

Suggested modification to above instructions - before making adjustment, LOWER deck all the way so weight is resting on gauge wheels. This way the adjustment screw isn't raising the deck and will be easier to turn. You will have to raise it back up to check that you have adjusted it enough.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Or you could just do it like the OL does,,,, adjust the wheel height where you want it and run it on the wheels I replace them every other year,, its cheap and I don't have to listen to her chrippin

WildBill

Equipment
BX 1860
May 4, 2015
Carthage, MO USA
When the new BX 1860 was delivered, the cutting height control knob would not budge. A service technician came out and did something to free it up.

Since that time, several mower deck dis-mounts/mounts have been successfully accomplished.

With the last mounting, the cutting height control is stuck on four and will not budge. Nevertheless, the deck still raises above and lowers to the desired cutting height of four.

I have read all the posts with interest, but am not sure if I have the same problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

WildBill

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WB if you lift the deck all the way up until the pump kind moans because its by passing, you have reached the top most travel once there try to turn the knob, it is hard to do but it will turn. I have to do this every time I change the heights of the deck or the 3 point hitch, both work off the same control

Kubotamy

Equipment
2004 BX2200, 60" Belly Mower, 50" Snow Blower, 42" Bush Hog
Aug 3, 2015
St Cloud MN
This is my exact same problem, adjusting the height and leveling a 60" belly mower on a 2004 BX2200 which I bought used. Terrible mowing job at full throttle.

I followed eserv's tips in post #2 as best I could. Couldn't get to the "top," nor did playing with the right lift arm help. Can someone please email me any leveling pages from the RCK60B-22BX manual? Thank you!

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi All,

mmm on Bx is a bad design and you will be doing the fixing time and time again. I did have number of lawn tractors with mmm, but Kubota Bx is the worst. Regards Frank

Kubotamy

Equipment
2004 BX2200, 60" Belly Mower, 50" Snow Blower, 42" Bush Hog
Aug 3, 2015
St Cloud MN
Bump for anyone who has a RCK60B-22BX Manual. I'd appreciate a PM with the MMM leveling pages or I can send you my email address. TIA

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I realize that I am resurrecting an old thread but it is probably better to keep the subject in the same thread for searching sake.

Anyway, I had the same problem that others in this thread described with the mower deck not going up past a certain point. I searched this forum and found this thread and it turns out that the adjustment bolt for the mower deck height on mine was broken.

I repaired it by taking out the adjusting bolt and placing it in a different position. I used a couple of flange nuts to secure the bolt in its new position and the original lock nut to make sure that it is all locked tight. The pictures should be self explanatory. Now the mower deck goes all the way to the top and stays there when I place the adjustment dial in the TOP position. I am a happy camper again.

Attachments

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
I'm all for using old threads that are about the problem . We all get it then with an email-out . Well done . A broken bit is always a teaser !
Hardly any of this stuff is properly adjusted either , for the buyer . It's annoying .