You need a shorter top link.

Reactions: 6 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Does the BX have multiple holes to stick the top link in on the tractor side? Put it in the lowest hole (still May need shorter link like Army says though)

Reactions: 2 users

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
What the hell am I doing wrong???

Thank you.

View attachment 101066
I agree with Army Lifer and FordTech 86. The top link is too long for the implement. I wonder about the PTO to implement drive shaft. It look like it is sitting at a pretty sharp angle. Kind of hard to tell from the photo, but I would give that a check after you get the top link squared away.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you make out with the problem.

Bob

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Thanks guys.
Broke the DS shear pin so will be resetting the whole thing now.
(NON technical terms): Tightening the turnbuckles attached to the lower arms helped too.
The chipper does in fact have a lower slot for the top link, will try that too.
Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
From the picture it looks like you may still have some adjustment left in the top-link. It would be a cheap fix if you could get another few inches shorter by screwing it down to the shortest length possible. You may have already tried that?

Doesn't look like and insurmountable problem. Since it is a chipper and going to sit on the ground when in use. Can you just use a chain or strap, instead of the top link, to carry it around to your work area and set it down? I've never seen one of those in person. So just throwing out an idea.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
IMG_5413.jpeg

It should look like this when it’s sitting on the ground. The PTO shaft should be close to level. The U joints on the PTO shaft aren’t going to be happy with those crazy angles, particularly with the heavy tilt of the chipper making the angle at the chipper and tractor unequal. The shaft doesn’t have to be dead straight but the implement needs to be level so the angles at both ends are the same. If they’re not the same it creates internal stress in the shaft as it rotates and yes I can explain that if you want but you can look up the physics of U joints and probably get a clearer explanation. So yeah, you can’t really run it like that.

From looking at your pic your toplink is exactly way the hell too long and if you wind it all the way in you might get it to just way too long but it still won’t be right. I’m truly impressed you even got it hooked up being that far off.

Suggest disconnecting the toplink. Lower the hitch so the chipper is sitting flat on the floor. Measure between the center of one of the toplink holes on the tractor and one of the toplink holes on the chipper. Whatever that distance is, you need a toplink that has that distance within its range of adjustment.

As previously suggested, I suppose you could rig up a chain to substitute for the toplink as it’s really only needed for transport but I suspect based on the length of your toplink v the link of your lift arms this isn’t the only implement your going to have problems with so I’d be looking for a shorter toplink.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have the wrong top link for that tractor!

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Here is a 3 pt implement on my little BX. I think it is the same top link as on yours but you may notice the top link is shortened as far as it will go and that is just enough to get the implement level. Yours "should" work the same. but try to get the PTO shaft as straight as possible, as others have noted.

You have probably also discovered there is only one attachment point for the top link on a BX.

Attachments

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I’m truly impressed you even got it hooked up being that far off.
:ROFLMAO: Oh believe me, it took a friggen hour to make it look that bad. :cautious:

This is the Factory Kubota 3 point hitch kit top link that came with the kit, right out of the box.
Maybe after I try getting this thing as short and tight as possible if it still needs more I will go get a shorter top link when I buy some spare pins.

Thanks again everyone, this helps.
I've got a used aftermarket tiller coming this weekend I'll be hooking up, I'm sure I'll have more questions then...

• Haha

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
:ROFLMAO: Oh believe me, it took a friggen hour to make it look that bad. :cautious:

This is the Factory Kubota 3 point hitch kit top link that came with the kit, right out of the box.
Maybe after I try getting this thing as short and tight as possible if it still needs more I will go get a shorter top link when I buy some spare pins.

Thanks again everyone, this helps.
I've got a used aftermarket tiller coming this weekend I'll be hooking up, I'm sure I'll have more questions then...
Tractor Supply has a pretty good assortment of top links.

Reactions: 1 users

ultra97rider

Equipment
B2401
Jul 3, 2021
Blountville, Tn
Well, My new B2401 came with the wrong 3pt hardware installed. I had an awful time trying to get the attachments to work. My finish mower also had been assembled wrong. So, you may need to do some checking.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
View attachment 101079
It should look like this when it’s sitting on the ground. The PTO shaft should be close to level. The U joints on the PTO shaft aren’t going to be happy with those crazy angles, particularly with the heavy tilt of the chipper making the angle at the chipper and tractor unequal. The shaft doesn’t have to be dead straight but the implement needs to be level so the angles at both ends are the same. If they’re not the same it creates internal stress in the shaft as it rotates and yes I can explain that if you want but you can look up the physics of U joints and probably get a clearer explanation. So yeah, you can’t really run it like that.

From looking at your pic your toplink is exactly way the hell too long and if you wind it all the way in you might get it to just way too long but it still won’t be right. I’m truly impressed you even got it hooked up being that far off.

Suggest disconnecting the toplink. Lower the hitch so the chipper is sitting flat on the floor. Measure between the center of one of the toplink holes on the tractor and one of the toplink holes on the chipper. Whatever that distance is, you need a toplink that has that distance within its range of adjustment.

As previously suggested, I suppose you could rig up a chain to substitute for the toplink as it’s really only needed for transport but I suspect based on the length of your toplink v the link of your lift arms this isn’t the only implement your going to have problems with so I’d be looking for a shorter toplink.
For something like thst chipper a length of bar with two drilled holes is cheap and easy.

Dan

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
For something like thst chipper a length of bar with two drilled holes is cheap and easy.

Dan
Agreed about the length of bar and even the chain mentioned in another post, but he is getting other implements. He may as well get a proper length top link now and save time and trouble. New top links are not that expensive at Tractor Supply.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Every 3PH implement I own ,has it's OWN toplink BOLTED to it. Saves me a LOT of frustration adjusting the top link and MONEY. Waste an hour,lose $100. waste another hour, now you've lost $200. 200 buys a LOT of top links and nut/bolt sets.

• Love

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks guys.
Broke the DS shear pin so will be resetting the whole thing now.
(NON technical terms): Tightening the turnbuckles attached to the lower arms helped too.
The chipper does in fact have a lower slot for the top link, will try that too.
Thanks again.
Using a "lower slot" on the chipper will only aggravate your issue.