Beet juice leaking like a squashed beet

dinman

Equipment
SU3300
Jun 3, 2012
Monroe, ME
Writing from central Maine where I believe my beet juice actually froze. Now the tire is off the bead and I've lost a lot of juice on the ground (maybe a gallon or two? hard to tell).

My options at this point are to have the guys from the shop come out, re-load it and fix it up. Maybe change the oil while they're here. $$$$

Or, I can get the tire off and have a neighbor take it in to be fixed. This will be less $$ but will take more time and I really need the tractor to haul firewood.

Or, I was thinking of jacking the tractor up, and trying to put air in the tire and hoping it pops back on the rim. My concern here is that the tires will not be balanced. Is this bad for the tractor, or just a concern knowing that one side is more loaded than the other?

I have a Kubota SU3300.

Thanks for any help!!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Be darned careful trying to pop that tire back on the rim. We don't want to read about you in the papers. Don't worry about the tractor; it does not care about the imbalance between the tires. Do worry that your traction will be messed up - the heavy tire will have the traction, so the light side will want to spin. For the short term you will be OK - just use your differential lock or independent brake to keep both tires turning. For the long term, get the tire filled as soon as you can do it practically.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
This maybe a newbie question but, don't loaded tire usually have tubes inside?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the tires truly off the bead you have lost more than a gallon or two.
If you have no experience with tractor tires you should either have someone come out or take it in, re-beading a tire can be dangerous!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This maybe a newbie question but, don't loaded tire usually have tubes inside?
Dan,

days of old , they would place calcium chloride in the tires (salt water) and then they found out that the salt would eat the hell out of the metal rims! So they went to tubes for that. Most non corrosive ballast need not have tubes. The beetjuice and foam don't need the tubes. So still like the tubes since it is a buffer between the tire and the ballast!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Not using tubes in loaded tires is a cheap short cut used by most dealers nowadays. Unfortunately, if air pressure drops or you bump the side of the tire hard on something, the bead can be dismounted from the rim and go flat. Having tubes put in prevents the tire from going flat if that happens.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
BAP, Thank you for your response.

After hearing this I am glad I had the dealer install tubes and added beet juice, when I had to replace my 5 year old rims.

Previously, I had the dealer install tubes and calcium chloride in brand new rims. They lasted 5 years before rims started rotting out from the inside, around the valve stems, and at the tire beads. I don't understand how seeing the calcium was in the tubes... Maybe sloppy install and some calcium was added between the tubes and the rims ???

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
BAP, Thank you for your response.

After hearing this I am glad I had the dealer install tubes and added beet juice, when I had to replace my 5 year old rims.

Previously, I had the dealer install tubes and calcium chloride in brand new rims. They lasted 5 years before rims started rotting out from the inside, around the valve stems, and at the tire beads. I don't understand how seeing the calcium was in the tubes... Maybe sloppy install and some calcium was added between the tubes and the rims ???
Common problem if the tube got a hole or split in it.:(

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
If the tires truly off the bead you have lost more than a gallon or two.
If you have no experience with tractor tires you should either have someone come out or take it in, re-beading a tire can be dangerous!
I certainly agree with that, especially about losing more than a gallon or two...

Hammer Head

Equipment
L3800 LA524 B77, Ford 1720, Scag Tiger Cat
Oct 6, 2013
Lock Haven, PA
I agree that a tube would be better in this situation however I have had many punctures and never had a bead pop.
I would think if you had a hole in a loaded tire, tubeless would be easier to repair than a tire with a tube.
Many times I have found a leak in a tire and with a commercial plug kit, I am back working in know time. I just rotate the hole above the ballast level.

Just my two pennies!!!