Bead leaks

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Ok I am getting tired of paying $15 + to have my tire dismounted and mounted just to have them tell me I had a "bead leak" from sand and small rocks.

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? My beautiful Wifey-Poo (just in case she reads this) is threatening to cut off my tractor funding :mad:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Hello my friend,

as fare I know the offroad-guy's use a tube inside the tire. So the tubed "tubeless tire" can get some sand between the rubber and the rim, but the air will stay inside the tube. Maybe that helps your Wifey-Poo. :D

carl

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hello my friend,

as fare I know the offroad-guy's use a tube inside the tire. So the tubed "tubeless tire" can get some sand between the rubber and the rim, but the air will stay inside the tube. Mybe that helps your Wifey-Poo. :D

carl
cabu is right! put tubes in them and the problem is gone!
Ed

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Convince the wifey-poo that your going to spend one less chunk of change and have the tires foam filled. Yeah it can be a bit pricey upfront but in the long run you foam fill the tires once and NEVER have to worry about flat tires ever again.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Eric I'm getting OLD and need every bit of cushion I can get.....With "Foam filled" tires aren't they hard and rough on the old body? Also what about ballast?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Foam filled can be brutal on a bumper surface like on a street, they are not ment for high speed travel. And I think foam filled is the heaviest weight you can ballast the tires with.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah they are the last mine I worked at had foam filled tires on the shuttle cars,( coal haulers) big heavy and never never never went flat,even when we tore the caseing off they still ran ok,, but man were they a bytch to change

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Yeah they are the last mine I worked at had foam filled tires on the shuttle cars,( coal haulers) big heavy and never never never went flat,even when we tore the caseing off they still ran ok,, but man were they a bytch to change
We tried foam filled on our skid steer at the quarry. They were so hard to change that we ended up just buying new wheels when the tires were gone.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Foam filled has to be cut off the rim and its usually something the tire shop has to do. I believe they use a 50 ton press and push most of it off and cut away the rest.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
You might try your local Napa for a can of bead sealer. It's similar to rubber cement. If you clean your wheel and tire beads with a wire wheel and laquer thinner first you should prevent the tire and bead from slipping in the future.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Well after we last chatted I had to take the same tire back to the local tire store brcause it went flat again :mad: They said oh I don't know why they couldn't find the real reaon it went flat in the first place. There was a puncture in the side wall they put what looked like a stick (I know it wasn't) but it was pliable. So hopefuly it has been fixed for good (untill I hit somrthing again) ;)