Battery in the Winter

Mike of Southern IL

Equipment
2014 Kubota L3200 HST 4-WD, FEL,
Jun 17, 2014
Pocahontas, IL USA
Well mowing and driveway maintenance etc is pretty much behind me now. The tractor will pretty much be sitting in the shed until the first big snow fall. I was wondering, should I leave my battery in the tractor or bring it inside until needed? :confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Leave it in the tractor, just get a battery tender for it to keep it up to charge.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well mowing and driveway maintenance etc is pretty much behind me now. The tractor will pretty much be sitting in the shed until the first big snow fall. I was wondering, should I leave my battery in the tractor or bring it inside until needed? :confused:
If you know that you are NOT going to use it , bring it inside (warm)and place the battery tender on it, IF you might use it , do what Wolf said, leave it hooked up and trickled.

Be careful when looking for that ol trickle charger, some will charge and boil the acid right out, some have the little computer chips in them and cycle and maintain the voltage. Get one that will cycle on and off according to charge.

One cooked battery is enough to wish you had bought the better maintainer !
btdt ! :eek::mad:

Mike of Southern IL

Equipment
2014 Kubota L3200 HST 4-WD, FEL,
Jun 17, 2014
Pocahontas, IL USA
If you know that you are NOT going to use it , bring it inside (warm)and place the battery tender on it, IF you might use it , do what Wolf said, leave it hooked up and trickled.

Be careful when looking for that ol trickle charger, some will charge and boil the acid right out, some have the little computer chips in them and cycle and maintain the voltage. Get one that will cycle on and off according to charge.

One cooked battery is enough to wish you had bought the better maintainer !
btdt ! :eek::mad:

That's what I do with the ATV battery. Those battery tenders work well. Had the answer and I didn't know it! LOL
Thanks guys.