Barn lot weeds

budpat105

Equipment
L3800
Aug 13, 2013
Jacksonville,il
I have been ask to help mow a barn lot. It has not had livestock for 10 years and the weeds have taken over. It has 10 ft+ tall weeds. They tell me a weed puts out enough seeds for 7 years. After I get this mowed what should I do to prevent this weeds from coming back next year? This is a large lot and will have to do it in sections. Thanks for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Around here, they treat in the spring with 2 4d. Mix it per the instructions for what ever grass is left, so it doesn't kill the grass.

My yard has been loaded with weeds. Especially spur weed. Fixing to use a pulverizer on my yard to smooth it and chew everything up. Then planning to add soil amendments while it sits. I know it needs lime to get rid of the moss and spur weed, and to sweeten the soil. Gonna take several samples to get tested at the extension office to see what I need to add.

Then after it sits for a couple weeks, I'm planning on hitting the yard a second time, and then reseed it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Are they going to put critters back in it? If so I would cut it and then cut it again in the fall put the critters back in the spring and let them take care of the weeds... Or spray the snot out of everything, then cut rake and burn

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I would vote for the cut rake and burn, no spray. Waste of money on the spray, toxic too, and the weeds will come back next year no matter what you do. Or turn it over and plant a livestock friendly cover crop and keep a few critters in there. Or next year keep it mowed short. Around here if you just keep mowing stuff short grass takes over and chokes out the weeds.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Do what's already been said! The problem is lack of maintenance. Best weed control is mow the weeds down and don't let it get to the seed stage.

Last edited:

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
What kind of weeds?

There's not really much you can do to prevent it from coming back next year, it will most likely take several years of any kind of treatment to fully eradicate them. The first couple of years will likely be full scale war but then you should be able to get to where you can just spot spray the ones that pop up (spray - don't try to yank them up as this will likely only cause the roots to break then one plant will turn into several). Most of what we consider weeds are so tough to battle because not only will their seeds continue to germinate for several years, but they also spread through the roots. If they are a weed that spreads through the roots they will likely continue to spread without herbicide to fully kill the roots of what's currently there. I also believe that (at least with Johnson Grass - my current main enemy) that portions of those root systems remain dormant, are not killed when you kill the plants because they are not directly supporting the plants, then somehow sense that their comrades have fallen and produce new plants.

The biggest thing to remember is to never let them produce seed.

The only easy way I've found to get rid of weeds is to just leave the area alone and let the trees take over.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If there's some grass growing in there, regular mowing should give it enough of an advantage to take over. if it's 10' tall, I'm assuming it's ragweed of some sort so as mentioned 24D is cheap and should work on it if you're not averse to using herbicide on it. That should kill most broadleaves without hurting the grass. The time to spray them is before they get to 10' though...

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
Wait till winter, disc around it twice, and set it ablaze. Let it sit all winter, then attempt to burn whatever is left again before it regreens in spring.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So you never did say if they were going to put critters back in or what they were going to do with it.. Maybe sheepfarmer could bring a small flock ( for a small fee of course) over and get it cleaned up..lol

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had/have a good crop of weeds that thrive on a manure pile that's been there for several years. I take my crawler and push up the feed lot area in the summer to get ready for the next winter. This years, I'm just slow!

I mower these of with a 6' flail mower. I just left it up a few inches. It doesn't need to be perfect, so I didn't go back and cut lower.

My buddy complains about them when he DRIVES by...going to the weekly auction! He has severe allergies.

Attachments