Baited bear

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's a "Bear Baiting" story with a twist. Years ago, a co-worker's son was bear hunting in northern Minnesota woods. The kid was in his early 20's at the time. He had driven out near his spot alone, and still very much in the dark early morning hours hiked into the woods and climbed up into his stand to await the dawn and start of the days hunt. His stand was in a smaller straight tree.
Right around sunrise, the kid heard a noise above him and looked up to see a small black bear descending right on top of him. No time to do anything but yell at the bear. It didn't work. There was quite a scuffle and blows from both as they tried to dodge each other while hanging onto the small tree.
The kid said it seemed like they'd been fighting for hours and wasn't sure if the bear broke his arm with a good swat in the tree or if it happened when they both fell together and bounced apart on the ground! They both quickly departed in opposite directions. The kid had to hike out and drive himself to the hospital for treatment.
With quite the story, he showed up at work all beat up with cuts, scratches, bruises and an arm in a cast & sling. He had to go back later to collect all his gear. He still gets razzed about his bear wrestling skills!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I think on private land here in Maine you must still follow all the hunting laws.
Here in Arkansas you can keep a feeder going all year round. And that is following the hunting laws.

Plenty of non hunters with feeders here because they like seeing the wildlife that gets drawn in.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's a "Bear Baiting" story with a twist. Years ago, a co-worker's son was bear hunting in northern Minnesota woods. The kid was in his early 20's at the time. He had driven out near his spot alone, and still very much in the dark early morning hours hiked into the woods and climbed up into his stand to await the dawn and start of the days hunt. His stand was in a smaller straight tree.
Right around sunrise, the kid heard a noise above him and looked up to see a small black bear descending right on top of him. No time to do anything but yell at the bear. It didn't work. There was quite a scuffle and blows from both as they tried to dodge each other while hanging onto the small tree.
The kid said it seemed like they'd been fighting for hours and wasn't sure if the bear broke his arm with a good swat in the tree or if it happened when they both fell together and bounced apart on the ground! They both quickly departed in opposite directions. The kid had to hike out and drive himself to the hospital for treatment.
With quite the story, he showed up at work all beat up with cuts, scratches, bruises and an arm in a cast & sling. He had to go back later to collect all his gear. He still gets razzed about his bear wrestling skills!
We had a couple knuckle heads that tried to enact the deer scene from the movie "Tommy Boy".

Shot a deer in the head at night. Through it in the back of the truck.
Hauled butt. As they were coming through town, on came the blue lights from the police.

Looked in his rear view mirror and realized the deer was standing up in the back of their truck 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 The shot just knocked out the deer. 🙄🙄🙄

Lost their guns, lost their hunting license, truck was impounded and a hefty fine.

Was a pretty good write up in that week's crime report in the local paper, of course with their names listed. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 Took them a long time to live that one down. Small town, everyone knew everybody.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Gentlemen, Sorry I started this thread.
I just found it humous that somebody paid for a high priced guide for a bear hunting trip.
Instead the guide was baiting which makes it far less a hunt and more of a wait and see.

No offense was intended .

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Gentlemen, Sorry I started this thread.
I just found it humous that somebody paid for a high priced guide for a bear hunting trip.
Instead the guide was baiting which makes it far less a hunt and more of a wait and see.

No offense was intended .
Was entertaining to me. I wouldn't worry about the uproar, just a few folks getting triggered because the article was referencing a member of Cheeto man's family and made blanket statements about hunting laws in their states. Carry on!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Was entertaining to me. I wouldn't worry about the uproar, just a few folks getting triggered because the article was referencing a member of Cheeto man's family and made blanket statements about hunting laws in their states. Carry on!
Sounds like you interpreted what happened here just as well as Wolfman interprets hunting laws..lol

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Sounds like you interpreted what happened here just as well as Wolfman interprets hunting laws..lol
Seemed pretty clear to me - baiting allowed but with restrictions... Clear as day lol

I applaud Wolfman for his patience 😂

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Seemed pretty clear to me - baiting allowed but with restrictions... Clear as day lol

I applaud Wolfman for his patience 😂
Sounds like you have some reading problems as well. His words from post #13:

Baiting and then shooting while baited is Illegal!
He didnt say with restrictions he flat out said it was illegal and said it to "correct" me. but was wrong.

But to get back on track, why is this story and charges just coming out now, 4 years later?

Also why do news outlets and even folks here, like wolfman, post links to current , 2021 bear baiting laws in Utah when a few seconds of reading about this story tells the reader thst this supposed violation happened in 2018 so the laws on the books at that time are what matters and it appears Bear baiting was allowed in 2018, but the perp placed the bait a couple weeks before he was allowed to. So why does that make national news? Why the announcement of FELONY CHARGES, jail time etc.?

Last edited:

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Sounds like you have some reading problems as well. His words from post #13:

He didnt say with restrictions he flat out said it was illegal and said it to "correct" me. but was wrong.

But to get back on track, why is this story and charges just coming out now, 4 years later?

Also why do news outlets and even folks here, like wolfman, post links to current , 2021 bear baiting laws in Utah when a few seconds of reading about this story tells the reader thst this supposed violation happened in 2018 so the laws on the books at that time are what matters and it appears Bear baiting was allowed in 2018, but the perp placed the bait a couple weeks before he was allowed to. So why does that make national news? Why the announcement of FELONY CHARGES, jail time etc.?
It's not a conspiracy, it's typical politics.

I missed Wolfman's first reply. So both of you made blanket statements, he followed up by referencing Maine baiting laws and you stuck to your guns, I think it's pretty clear now 😂😂😂

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Me too. Might be time to move on to the issue of baited members here... :ROFLMAO:
Hmm, You know, my wife , who hates seafood, did make me a fantastic dinner of pasta with a ton of shrimp and scallops about a month ago. Dessert was a bottle of Knob creek.
Seems I did agree to a 13 thousand dollar remodel of the upstairs bathroom that same night.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Hmm, You know, my wife , who hates seafood, did make me a fantastic dinner of pasta with a ton of shrimp and scallops about a month ago. Dessert was a bottle of Knob creek.
Seems I did agree to a 13 thousand dollar remodel of the upstairs bathroom that same night.
Smart lady! I agree to a lot of things I don't necessarily remember that the wife suggests "in the heat of the moment." Wives are very savvy 😂

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I've hunted bear and got a nice one years ago it wasn't something I like the taste of no matter how we tried to prepare it and most of it was cooked off and feed to our dogs so it didn't go to waste. I haven't hunted bear since. In PA you can't hunt over bait just got to be in the right place at the right time. :)
And you cant use a spot light ;)

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
My wife is NOT allowed to talk to yours !!